Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone thinking of moving to the Pre and webOS from the Pro and WinMo?

This device being central to most of my communications - I am not too keen on being the guinea pig with an untested OS. Not sure how much rigor webOS has been put under through all the closed door and alpha/beta test groups.

As much griping many have made about WinMO and even the older PalmOS, at least they have been put through the wringer... for good and bad. May consider the Pre or Pre 2.0 later. I'll let the people that camp out in front of Best Buy for a week take one for the team!

Again, I'm not trying to put a damper on the Pre hype... but remember...aghem... the Instinct?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    As soon as the unlocked GSM version comes out, I'll give it a go I am sure. I have no problem waiting for the unlocked GSM version, since the Pro is a really nice phone.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I'm not brave enough to be Palm early-adopter with the Pre!

I'll see how the reality shakes out once the hype subsides, but I hope it's a great phone for Palm's sake.

Easy for me to say...very happy with my TP GSM.
    I'm with you all on waiting till the dust settles. I don't want to lose features jumping to a new OS. The cool factor is high, but this time I'm going to be practical.
    I'm seriously thinking about making the move. It appears that the Pro has some issues with missing calls that was there in the 800w. I'm also not real happy with the threaded SMS and not being able to unthread them. Overall there are some apps that I really like, but I find the phone to be slow at times, and many times I'm waiting for it to change functions. It is also not very friendly with my handsfree BT in my car, and since my state is going to make it illegal to talk and drive (a stoppable offense, not just a secondary one), I'll need something reliable. I'm going to wait and see what happens with the SERO situation and while that's not a deal breaker, it'll make me think a bit. Since I have an iPhone, I'm also going to see what that's all about.

The downer for me is the phone goes on sale on June 6th, and I leave June 5th for a cross country road trip vacation. Maybe I'll stop at a few Sprint stores along the way and window shop.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    The main reason I went with the Pro was because I am on a family plan with Sprint and did not want to have to get a SEP just for the PRE, I would like to try the Pre, Just not on those terms.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    No.
    UGH, I was one of those Instinct guinea pigs. Never again! I'd like to try it, but not until the probably bugs are worked out and more apps are available.
    I agree I got suckered in on the Instinct with the hype of a Iphone killer, but it was a dud, no apps, very little in the way of updates. I went with the pro because of the VAST amount of customizable options and extra easy to obtain applications. The PRE, as "Cool" as it seems, until its application base is as vast as the windows mobile world count me out. There are far too many apps I would miss by being an early adopter.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about making the move. It appears that the Pro has some issues with missing calls that was there in the 800w. I'm also not real happy with the threaded SMS and not being able to unthread them. Overall there are some apps that I really like, but I find the phone to be slow at times, and many times I'm waiting for it to change functions. It is also not very friendly with my handsfree BT in my car, and since my state is going to make it illegal to talk and drive (a stoppable offense, not just a secondary one), I'll need something reliable. I'm going to wait and see what happens with the SERO situation and while that's not a deal breaker, it'll make me think a bit. Since I have an iPhone, I'm also going to see what that's all about.

The downer for me is the phone goes on sale on June 6th, and I leave June 5th for a cross country road trip vacation. Maybe I'll stop at a few Sprint stores along the way and window shop.

Vacation is MUCH better than a phone. I remember when I went to Italy last year I missed getting my GTP in the mail by a couple of days...but I wasn't upset
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I'm not brave enough to be Palm early-adopter with the Pre!

I'll see how the reality shakes out once the hype subsides, but I hope it's a great phone for Palm's sake.

Easy for me to say...very happy with my TP GSM.
    I totally agree with you. It's a nice phone and I'm tempted but I don't want to be a lab rat for the new OS. Maybe I'll consider it once the kinks are worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott559 View Post
    The main reason I went with the Pro was because I am on a family plan with Sprint and did not want to have to get a SEP just for the PRE, I would like to try the Pre, Just not on those terms.
    There isn't really conclusive evidence either way on this. Sero is out but the rest is unclear. I am on a five line "fair and flex family" using heavily discounted "casual evdo" on most lines and ecare told me yesterday I would be ok with Pre on my lines that have casual evdo.

If they have a huge success moving Pre on $100 plans and $70 plans they may limit it completely. Then again if that is successful there is no guarantee they won't make the same requirements on phones such as the touch Pro 2 when it comes out as well.

I could see trying a Pre on one of my lines. If I can't place it on my fair and flex I will get one on a Evertyhing and cancel it after a couple of weeks, just to take it for a spin. If the Pres are ebaying for more than $350, I'll ebay it, if not I will return it to Sprint with no expense to me.

In the fall I will get either Touch Pro 2 or Pre, but from what I have read I would rather have the touch Pro 2..
    Not any time soon. I need WM due to work requirements and I refuse to have 2 phones.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Vacation is MUCH better than a phone. I remember when I went to Italy last year I missed getting my GTP in the mail by a couple of days...but I wasn't upset
    I agree, I'm really looking forward to the trip, going to do some cross-country geocaching on the way. By the time I get back the initial hype will most likely have died down, and the actual hands-on experiences will online and I can decide if I want to switch or not. Actually, I'm going to switch to another phone, it's just a matter of which one. The Blackberry 8350i looks nice but I don't know if I can swap it since it's a Nextel phone. Sprint and Nextel are one company, but they haven't fully merged their plans and billing yet.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There isn't really conclusive evidence either way on this. Sero is out but the rest is unclear. I am on a five line "fair and flex family" using heavily discounted "casual evdo" on most lines and ecare told me yesterday I would be ok with Pre on my lines that have casual evdo.
    I wouldn't count SERO out until the fat lady sings. I can't really see that Sprint would refuse to let someone who pays full price for a phone to activate it using their old number and plan. But until the phones are actually for sale, we won't really know. Lots of conjecture, speculation, and rumours ("I talked to a guy whose brother knows the janitor who works at the store"-type) floating around but that's all.

Anyone else get an email from Palm about the Pre?

June 6th release date, $199.99 after rebates, etc.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Anyone else get an email from Palm about the Pre?

June 6th release date, $199.99 after rebates, etc.
    No email was needed to get slapped upside the head on the release date announcement!

Being surrounded by other techgeeks... the word gets around pretty darn fast... via SMS and across the hallway!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I wouldn't count SERO out until the fat lady sings. I can't really see that Sprint would refuse to let someone who pays full price for a phone to activate it using their old number and plan. But until the phones are actually for sale, we won't really know. Lots of conjecture, speculation, and rumours ("I talked to a guy whose brother knows the janitor who works at the store"-type) floating around but that's all.
    Some conjecture on the practical results for sure.

On the policy Hesse at the Jan CES used a script he used once before, at the CTIA for the Instinct announcement.

I think you are right that we won't know for certain though, I think long term policy stringency depends on demand of the Pre relative to supply, and there are almost always end runs around things on Sprint.

When I bought my 800w Sprint had just changed the verbiage on the rebates to similar to the supposed Pre requirements, and not including FF plans with free casual evdo. I put in a protest because I ordered and they changed the rebate language the next day, but I understand subsequent buyers got rebates anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by redline122 View Post
    No email was needed to get slapped upside the head on the release date announcement!

Being surrounded by other techgeeks... the word gets around pretty darn fast... via SMS and across the hallway!
    What I am saying is Palm sent the email. This may have been the first phone they themselves have hyped. I never got an email about the Treo 800 or Treo Pro. They still lag way behind in Marketing compared to the others but finally a step forward.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I am standing pat with my Pro for at least 3-6 months AFTER the Pre is released.

The Pre looks cool, but I've been burned too many times from these cool things that are full of bugs. 1st releases are almost ALWAYS a Beta test paid for by the consumers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast