Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally Posted by Lawmen23
    I love most of the features of KinomaFree Play, but it's too buggy for me to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    What's the bug? I don't know of any general problems, but I'll be glad to follow up with our support folks and report back.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    #1. When I first downloaded Kinoma FreePlay I started experimenting with Orb to access media on my PC. Now Kinoma freezes up whenever I click the Orb button and I have to reset my phone.
    #2. When I goto songs by Artist and hit shuffle, 9/10 times it freezes and I have to restart my phone.
    #3. I will be listening to music with only Kinoma open, and sometimes if a text message comes in the player closes and will not re-open.
    #4. Kinoma sometimes closes randomly without a text message coming in...even more aggrevating.

I don't wanna sound like I'm bashing the product. I love the user interface and the features, but I just need it to not freeze up on me. It's also not necessarily the applications fault. There's a chance it's WM6.1 crashing it or corrupt data on my memory card. Not sure. I did purchase a new memory card (8gb to 16gb) but haven't made the switch yet. Hopefully after I do I'll notice an improvement. I believe I also have mine installed to the memory card at this time.
    I am really interested in trying out the new social networking features though. Facebook integration is key.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Terry,

What feature(s) not in Kinoma FreePlay do you need to try before you decide?

Thanks!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Not that I havent mentioned it in other threads that you have monitered but here goes:
    #1I would love to listen to radio stations in my area to see how it works, instead when I tune in it says, buy the full version to listen to this station.

#2 I would love to watch a movie on Kinoma to see how well it handled it, but each time I try it says, buy the full version to watch this video format.

Rather then list each and every occurence of this let me just say that accept for a few youtube videos, and some pictures each and every thing I try to watch, or listen to on Kinoma free I get the exact same message, I can view photos with the built in app, and I can watch youtube with googles app, so no point in buying it just for that, and with out knowing how it will play the radio stations I want to listen to, and with out being able to watch a video to see how it plays I will not buy any app, and personily these messages telling me if I want to see or hear these things buy the full version feels kind of like a slap in the face, just one big advertisement for the full version, I would think that you would listen to ALL of the people here telling you that this is what they want and would do away with FREE and give us a 25 or 30 day trial fo a fully functioning program so we can see if it actualy works well enough to be worth the price.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    #1. [...] Kinoma freezes up whenever I click the Orb button and I have to reset my phone.
    #2. When I goto songs by Artist and hit shuffle, 9/10 times it freezes and I have to restart my phone.
    #3. I will be listening to music with only Kinoma open, and sometimes if a text message comes in the player closes and will not re-open.
    #4. Kinoma sometimes closes randomly without a text message coming in...even more aggrevating.
    Whoa. Like any software, Kinoma FreePlay isn't bug-free. But the symptoms you're describing are awful, and happen when doing really basic stuff that kinda can't crash.

There's a chance it's WM6.1 crashing it or corrupt data on my memory card. Not sure. I did purchase a new memory card (8gb to 16gb) but haven't made the switch yet. Hopefully after I do I'll notice an improvement. I believe I also have mine installed to the memory card at this time.
    I think you're onto something. Memory cards get corrupted regularly, which is why there are hundreds of utilities out there for helping people rescue once-in-lifetime photos from corrupted memory cards.

Memory cards can suffer from both logical corruption and physical corruption. Logical corruption means that the card is physically fine, and so can be fixed with a reformat -- preferably with the actual device it's being used with, remembering to back up everything first! If individual files have been corrupted (instead of just the card's filesystem), those files may crash software that uses them and must be replaced. Physical corruption means that the card is flaky and needs to be destroyed before it kills again. Unfortunately, there's no perfect way to know if memory cards are flaky.

Because Kinoma Play is installed to the memory card (something we don't recommend), issue #1 especially makes me think that the memory card corruption is the source of the problem.

Check out this, and let me know how the new card works for you.

I am really interested in trying out the new social networking features though. Facebook integration is key.
    Here's a "feature focus" post I just wrote about Kinoma Play's Facebook app: Feature focus: Facebook Media

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Terry,

Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    #1 I would love to listen to radio stations in my area to see how it works, instead when I tune in it says, buy the full version to listen to this station.
    #2 I would love to watch a movie on Kinoma to see how well it handled it, but each time I try it says, buy the full version to watch this video format.
    That's a feature. No company can (legally) distribute free software with codecs containing licensed intellectual property, so this helps you decide whether it's worth they money to buy Kinoma Play or whether Kinoma FreePlay is all you need.

As I type this, there's an issue where FreePlay is returning errors for YouTube content that would normally work great. We're investigating, and we'll announce any updates through all the usual channels (including the app itself).

Otherwise, all Kinoma FreePlay does is play video, music, podcasts, radio, webcams and pictures, with easy, fast access to more content than a person could enjoy in a lifetime, including amazing support for YouTube, Flickr, Picasa, Live365, SHOUTcast, Audible, and lots more, for infitesimally less than the cost of a single iPhone fart app. We're sorry.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Terry,

That's a feature. No company can (legally) distribute free software with codecs containing licensed intellectual property, so this helps you decide whether it's worth they money to buy Kinoma Play or whether Kinoma FreePlay is all you need.

As I type this, there's an issue where FreePlay is returning errors for YouTube content that would normally work great. We're investigating, and we'll announce any updates through all the usual channels (including the app itself).

Otherwise, all Kinoma FreePlay does is play video, music, podcasts, radio, webcams and pictures, with easy, fast access to more content than a person could enjoy in a lifetime, including amazing support for YouTube, Flickr, Picasa, Live365, SHOUTcast, Audible, and lots more, for infitesimally less than the cost of a single iPhone fart app. We're sorry.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I think you misunderstood my, I do not want a free app that contains codecs, I would like to have a fully functioning app with a free trial period, after that period is over the app stops working, or I decide it is truly worth the price and I buy it at which time you issue me an unlock code for the program, like I said before I would not buy any program unles I knew it would work for me the way I want it to work< not saying Kinoma is not a good program but then again I dont realy know that because the free version wont do what I want it to do.
    Anyway thinks for the reply.
    Terry
    Terry,

Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I think you misunderstood my, I do not want a free app that contains codecs, I would like to have a fully functioning app with a free trial period..
    I understand, but you only mentioned codecs and we generally can't enable those on a trial basis (other than AAC, which works for 14 days in Kinoma FreePlay) because of licensing restrictions.

Are there a few other specific features you'd like to try before you buy? I'd be glad to see what we can accommodate in future Kinoma FreePlay releases.

Also, Kinoma Play itself has a 30-day money back guarantee.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    As long as you are entertaining feature requests; I'd love to have an audiobook category. (not audible.com)
    In Kinoma Guide, check out the Audiobooks & Literature category.

Other than Audible, your best source of audiobooks will be found in the LibriVox category.

-- Charles Wiltgen

<SNIP>

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Hold on a second! I've just checked your site and your looking for $29.99. I only got rid of my iPhone very recently, but I seem to recall all the farty applications were around $1. Where can I buy Kinoma for infitesimally (sic) less than $1. And no. I don't want a subscription to a book club!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    Hold on a second! I've just checked your site and your looking for $29.99. I only got rid of my iPhone very recently, but I seem to recall all the farty applications were around $1. Where can I buy Kinoma for infitesimally (sic) less than $1.
    One cannot buy Kinoma FreePlay, one can only enjoy it.

Kinoma - Kinoma FreePlay - Get

-- Charles Wiltgen
    One cannot buy Kinoma FreePlay, one can only enjoy it.

Kinoma - Kinoma FreePlay - Get

-- Charles Wiltgen
    You are quite correct Charles - the crippled version of Kinoma is indeed free.

But I still don't want to join a book club! Uncool.
    In Kinoma Guide, check out the Audiobooks & Literature category.

Other than Audible, your best source of audiobooks will be found in the LibriVox category.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I don't need a source for audiobooks, I need a better way to manage the ones I already have in Kinoma.

Currently, they only way I can separate them in my Music view is to go to the genre "audiobook". But, from there it simply lists all the tracks jumbled together. If I have 3 or 4 audiobooks with 150 tracks each, it becomes impossible to choose a book. If I use the Album view, I have to sort through a couple hundred music albums looking for my audiobook.

I would love to sort by album inside the genre tag. Or, better yet, if we could have an Audibook category in the "My Media Files" screen that would be great.
    You are quite correct Charles - the crippled version of Kinoma is indeed free.
    It's not a crippled version of Kinoma Play, if that's what you're getting at. Think of FreePlay as a VW GTI to Kinoma Play's Audi A3 -- they share a chassis, but Kinoma Play is where you get all the amenities.

For a lot of folks (typically more casual users), Kinoma FreePlay is all they need. By design FreePlay lets people know if they try to use features available in our flagship Kinoma Play, and we have no plans to change that.

That's because -- even though Kinoma FreePlay does more than other people's $30 players -- enough discriminating users upgrade to Kinoma Play that we can afford to give Kinoma FreePlay to the community.

But I still don't want to join a book club!
    No matter how you feel about reading, you don't need to join a book club in to get Kinoma FreePlay for free, or to buy Kinoma Play.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    It's not a crippled version of Kinoma Play, if that's what you're getting at. Think of FreePlay as a VW GTI to Kinoma Play's Audi A3 -- they share a chassis, but Kinoma Play is where you get all the amenities.

For a lot of folks (typically more casual users), Kinoma FreePlay is all they need. By design FreePlay lets people know if they try to use features available in our flagship Kinoma Play, and we have no plans to change that.

That's because -- even though Kinoma FreePlay does more than other people's $30 players -- enough discriminating users upgrade to Kinoma Play that we can afford to give Kinoma FreePlay to the community.

No matter how you feel about reading, you don't need to join a book club in to get Kinoma FreePlay for free, or to buy Kinoma Play.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Err...what if I'm a GTI owner who got a loaded GTI for the price of a base A3 and think that anyone who ponies up more money for what is essentially the same car with a fancier badge is a bit of a sucker?

That said I've been playing with the free version for a couple days now and really like it. I'll have to see what the full version offers to see if it's worth it.
    It's "crippled" in that it won't play a video shot with the Treo Pro (plus reportedly some other WinMo devices) with audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    It's "crippled" in that it won't play a video shot with the Treo Pro (plus reportedly some other WinMo devices) with audio.
    Kinoma FreePlay and Play work the same in this case.

If your phone makes an audio decoder for its video recordings available to third-party apps, Kinoma Play and FreePlay will play the audio.

If Kinoma Play and FreePlay can't "talk" to that audio codec, it can't play the audio. But you can still play the video, upload it to YouTube (complete with audio) to share with friends, etc.

Tip: Another benefit of uploading it to YouTube is that YouTube will automatically convert the audio to a playable format.

-- Charles Wiltgen

P.S. Does anyone know of an open source DMO-accessible AMR-NB decoder for Windows Mobile? That would also solve this problem on phones without one.
    Whoa. Like any software, Kinoma FreePlay isn't bug-free. But the symptoms you're describing are awful, and happen when doing really basic stuff that kinda can't crash.

I think you're onto something. Memory cards get corrupted regularly, which is why there are hundreds of utilities out there for helping people rescue once-in-lifetime photos from corrupted memory cards.

Memory cards can suffer from both logical corruption and physical corruption. Logical corruption means that the card is physically fine, and so can be fixed with a reformat -- preferably with the actual device it's being used with, remembering to back up everything first! If individual files have been corrupted (instead of just the card's filesystem), those files may crash software that uses them and must be replaced. Physical corruption means that the card is flaky and needs to be destroyed before it kills again. Unfortunately, there's no perfect way to know if memory cards are flaky.

Because Kinoma Play is installed to the memory card (something we don't recommend), issue #1 especially makes me think that the memory card corruption is the source of the problem.

Check out this, and let me know how the new card works for you.

Here's a "feature focus" post I just wrote about Kinoma Play's Facebook app: Feature focus: Facebook Media

-- Charles Wiltgen
    FYI....Just hard reset my phone last night. Switched to new 16GB memory card. Installed Kinoma Freeplay to the device memory and now my Orb functionality is back. So far so good, but I need more testing before I can definitively say that everything is fine and running smooth but things are looking better.

-Chris
    Chris,

FYI....Just hard reset my phone last night. Switched to new 16GB memory card. Installed Kinoma Freeplay to the device memory and now my Orb functionality is back. So far so good, but I need more testing before I can definitively say that everything is fine and running smooth but things are looking better.
    Thanks for the update! I hope you'll continue to post back and let us know how it goes.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    -- Charles Wiltgen
    I can test drive the Audi A3, but I can't test drive Kinoma Play full version. So please don't make that comparison.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I would like to have the audio play back when I shoot videos with my treo pro, is that fixable ?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyne View Post
    I can test drive the Audi A3, but I can't test drive Kinoma Play full version. So please don't make that comparison.
    +1
    Terry
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast