Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a new HTC pro from Sprint about 5 months ago (full retail, yikes). and really thought from all the reviews I had read that it would be the perfect phone. VGA quality screen, full qwerty keyboard, slick HTC GUI and a big motor under the hood to power it all.

Well, like many things in life the "real" World results just didn't compare to all the fanfare. I won't get too far into bashing the HTC but let me tell you it was easily one of the WORST Smart phones I have ever used. The GUI was s l o w, which made it almost useless, the VGA screen was sooo tiny that using it to surf was impossible (great resolution, but tny physical space), the battery life was beyond atrocious and the camera was completely unusable unless your subject was 100% still while you tried to take the picture (and the video was a joke).

I finally got tired of tweaking every single aspect of this $500 handset to get the bare minimum of functionality (and was also getting hoarse from screaming at it time after time) sooo enter the Treo Pro.

Now, I am a Treo user from way back. I went Treo 300 ---> Treo 600 ---> to Treo 750 ---> HTC Touch pro. I was wary of the Windows interface and was keen to stay with the easy use Palm GUI. The HTC made that fear a reality, however the STP has brought me back from the edge.

In a nutshell, the STP is better at every single aspect of usability than the HTC. I skinned my STP with the VERY EXCELLENT SPB Mobile Shell and did a few simple tweaks to personalize it to my liking (which took about 20 minutes) and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

The phone functionality is excellent, Clear and loud calls on both ends!

The GUI is fantastic (thank you SPB)

the Bluetooth actually works (an advance over the earlier Treo's I have used)

The Camera is functional (2mp is fine for capturing those "shoot, I didn't bring my camera" moments).

The programs are fast and actually work as they are supposed to.

The screen is clear (maybe not as bright as the Touch Pro, but way better in the lay out).

The touch screen works like a charm without the horrible LAG of the Touch Pro set up (which caused me to open unwanted applications ALL THE TIME).

The battery life is so far and above the Touch Pro it's not even a fair comparison. Now I can actually USE my phone during the day without needing to be tethered to a power outlet.

The headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm, not the stupid dongle needed to connect a wired headset to the Touch pro.

The KEYBOARD is actually functional (using ONE hand even). The Touch pro keyboard is one of the worst I have ever used. I finally gave up and just resorted to the equally horrible virtual keyboard which cut my texting efficiency to about 10% of what it was with my treo 750 and it's forward facing keyboard.

I am sure I could rattle off a thousand other ways the STP is better than the Touch Pro, but bottom line is, it's amazing that both units were built by HTC and yet the STP is so far and away the better unit.

Couldn't be happier with my STP.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 05/18/2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Sounds like someone who was sold a Sprint HTC Touch Pro with the old 1.03.651.3 ROM instead of the newer 1.03.651.4 ROM that the Sprint HTC Touch Pros now ship with. And that would be why they ship them with a newer ROM now, the old one had some problems.

Can't say I've ever heard a person using a 320 X 320 complain that a 640 X 480 screen was too tiny .

Glad you enjoy the Treo Pro, congratulations.

Good thing you didn't want to bash HTC too much, because I guess you know Palm hired HTC to make your Treo Pro .
    Sounds like the Sprint Touch Pro was way to much phone for the OP

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post

I see this from some. Most Treo owners just want a phone. Most of us die hards like to tweak and tune. The Treo Pro is simple.
    The Touch Pro is a powerful device and the people who really know how to operate it understand this. For example one handed use. The Touch Pro on screen keyboard keys are bigger than the Treo Pro hard keyboard. You can also install SPB keyboard for even bigger sized keys. I can type with one hand no problem.

I remember reading threads on here how the Treo 800 was the best device ever. I had a flashback when reading this thread.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sounds like someone who was sold a Sprint HTC Touch Pro with the old 1.03.651.3 ROM instead of the newer 1.03.651.4 ROM that the Sprint HTC Touch Pros now ship with. And that would be why they ship them with a newer ROM now, the old one had some problems.

Can't say I've ever heard a person using a 320 X 320 complain that a 640 X 480 screen was too tiny .

Glad you enjoy the Treo Pro, congratulations.

Good thing you didn't want to bash HTC too much, because I guess you know Palm hired HTC to make your Treo Pro .
    I actually just picked up a used HTC Touch Pro to backup/split-time with my 800w.

I've been happy so far.

I didn't know about the ROM issue, but after reading darnell's post I checked and have the newer ROM. Not surprised though, since my performance has been fine.

mjolnir- Did you ever try Mobile Shell 3 on your Touch Pro? I have used it and it works well. (I'm using TF3D now, but have gone back and forth a few times in the past week.)

I must say that I love the screen, and I did miss some of the HTC features that the TP has and that the 800w doesn't.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post

Same chipset
    Same processor (but better performance on Treo)
    Same Wifi, BT, RevA, GPS
    Same OS

Only differences are form-factor, screen resolution/size, amount of RAM/ROM and the Touch Pro lacking 3d drivers/3.5mm jack.

Not sure how any of that makes a Touch Pro to be "...way too much phone".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I actually played with a Touch pro for a day, ended up returning it because as the OP stated, the screen was way too small... and I don't mean the resolution. The problem is, the screen was too physically small for that high of a resolution! The result of that is lots of squinting, especially when browsing the web. And increasing text size, etc only works so much.
    I guess the Touch Pro's TV Out was too small too .

The light sensor was too sensitive .

The on screen silent button was too silent .

The MiniUSB was too usual .

The community of hackers was too large .

T-minus XXX till LOCK!
  9.    #9  
    Well, I can appreciate that some have had more success with the Touch pro than I encountered. I am by no means an "expert tweaker" so maybe the Touch Pro WAS more phone than I needed.

What I am trying to get across is that I find that "out of the box functionality" was FOR ME much greater with the STP than the Touch Pro by a country mile.

I stand by my assesment of the two units and think that the majority of "normal" users would also find this to be the case. While the Touch Pro certainly seems impressive in it's functionality and "horsepower", the delivery leaves a whole lot to be desired.

For my money (and that's fair considering I have now spent my money on both units), the STP is a superior USABILITY device that meets and exceeds all the needs I could have for a "smart phone".

If you are getting great results from your Touch Pro, Kudos to you. I am sure there are ways I could have made it work too...I just tired of trying to find them.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 05/18/2009 at 11:16 PM.
    I echo the sentiments of Darnell - the problems you describe just are not there with my Touch Pro. Not at all and like you, the phone the Touch Pro replaced (800W) was paid for at full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I purchased a new HTC pro from Sprint about 5 months ago (full retail, yikes). and really thought from all the reviews I had read that it would be the perfect phone. VGA quality screen, full qwerty keyboard, slick HTC GUI and a big motor under the hood to power it all.

Well, like many things in life the "real" World results just didn't compare to all the fanfare. I won't get too far into bashing the HTC but let me tell you it was easily one of the WORST Smart phones I have ever used. The GUI was s l o w, which made it almost useless, the VGA screen was sooo tiny that using it to surf was impossible (great resolution, but tny physical space), the battery life was beyond atrocious and the camera was completely unusable unless your subject was 100% still while you tried to take the picture (and the video was a joke).

I finally got tired of tweaking every single aspect of this $500 handset to get the bare minimum of functionality (and was also getting hoarse from screaming at it time after time) sooo enter the Treo Pro.

Now, I am a Treo user from way back. I went Treo 300 ---> Treo 600 ---> to Treo 750 ---> HTC Touch pro. I was wary of the Windows interface and was keen to stay with the easy use Palm GUI. The HTC made that fear a reality, however the STP has brought me back from the edge.

In a nutshell, the STP is better at every single aspect of usability than the HTC. I skinned my STP with the VERY EXCELLENT SPB Mobile Shell and did a few simple tweaks to personalize it to my liking (which took about 20 minutes) and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

The phone functionality is excellent, Clear and loud calls on both ends!

The GUI is fantastic (thank you SPB)

the Bluetooth actually works (an advance over the earlier Treo's I have used)

The Camera is functional (2mp is fine for capturing those "shoot, I didn't bring my camera" moments).

The programs are fast and actually work as they are supposed to.

The screen is clear (maybe not as bright as the Touch Pro, but way better in the lay out).

The touch screen works like a charm without the horrible LAG of the Touch Pro set up (which caused me to open unwanted applications ALL THE TIME).

The battery life is so far and above the Touch Pro it's not even a fair comparison. Now I can actually USE my phone during the day without needing to be tethered to a power outlet.

The headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm, not the stupid dongle needed to connect a wired headset to the Touch pro.

The KEYBOARD is actually functional (using ONE hand even). The Touch pro keyboard is one of the worst I have ever used. I finally gave up and just resorted to the equally horrible virtual keyboard which cut my texting efficiency to about 10% of what it was with my treo 750 and it's forward facing keyboard.

I am sure I could rattle off a thousand other ways the STP is better than the Touch Pro, but bottom line is, it's amazing that both units were built by HTC and yet the STP is so far and away the better unit.

Couldn't be happier with my STP.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm glad I got my Touch Pro for $200. on Craigslist. Made it MUCH easier to justify adding it to my account when my 800w still works well.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    I stand by my assesment of the two units and think that the majority of "normal" users would also find this to be the case. While the Touch Pro certainly seems impressive in it's functionality and "horsepower", the delivery leaves a whole lot to be desired.
    Mjolnir - If I got a Touch Pro with the old stock ROM instead of the new stock ROM I'd probably share your view. But I think you should avoid claiming a majority of "normal" users share your view. There is a lot of data that shows the HTC Touch Pro and Touch Diamond are selling at far greater numbers than the Treo 800w and Pro. And plenty of data shows most "normal" people would rather have an IPhone.

Here's what a highly respected reviewer of devices had to say about the Sprint Treo Pro.
    The bottom line:
    The Palm Treo Pro for Sprint offers plenty of features and satisfactory performance, but the carrier's business customers will get a better user experience from the HTC Touch Pro.
    Xdalaw, check out the latest MightyROM .
  13.    #13  
    Mjolnir - If I got a Touch Pro with the old stock ROM instead of the new stock ROM I'd probably share your view. But I think you should avoid claiming a majority of "normal" users share your view. There is a lot of data that shows the HTC Touch Pro and Touch Diamond are selling at far greater numbers than the Treo 800w and Pro. And plenty of data shows most "normal" people would rather have an IPhone.
    You assume my ROM was the OLD ROM. I don't believe that to be the case, as I was not a bleeding edge purchaser, but rather got mine just about 5 months ago.

Either way, I read ALL the reviews I could get my hands on prior to purchasing the Touch Pro and they were all phoenominal, yet FOR ME the unit was a trainwreck. I have NEVER spent so much time tweaking a phone to get it to give me basic RELIABLE functionality. For $450 it should have been usable right out of the box without having to resort to "Diamond Tweak" and "S2U" to get it to perform.

There is also no excuse to ship a phone with a 3MP camera (one of the major factors in my decision to purchase it) that is absoultely unusable in most every situation unless the subject remains completely motionless for 5 seconds while the picture composes. Good luck with that (and then don't bother trying to SMS a picture, because you can't do that either).

Also, if you are intent on arguing that the form factor (such as the keyboard and screen layout) are in any regard useable then we just have a different level of what "useable" means I am afraid.

So, I respect that you may love your Touch Pro and you are welcome to do so (Hey, I purchased one too, so I know how it feels to want to LOVE your phone when it costs that much money). As I stated earlier, perhaps I just didn't spend enough time tweaking every aspect of the unit to make it perform as advertised, I just didn't feel like continuing to try.

The STP has been a revelation of "out of the box usability" and one the Touch Pro could have emulated in my opinion as an "average level user".
    You assume my ROM was the OLD ROM. I don't believe that to be the case, as I was not a bleeding edge purchaser, but rather got mine just about 5 months ago.

Either way, I read ALL the reviews I could get my hands on prior to purchasing the Touch Pro and they were all phoenominal, yet FOR ME the unit was a trainwreck. I have NEVER spent so much time tweaking a phone to get it to give me basic RELIABLE functionality. For $450 it should have been usable right out of the box without having to resort to "Diamond Tweak" and "S2U" to get it to perform.

There is also no excuse to ship a phone with a 3MP camera (one of the major factors in my decision to purchase it) that is absoultely unusable in most every situation unless the subject remains completely motionless for 5 seconds while the picture composes. Good luck with that (and then don't bother trying to SMS a picture, because you can't do that either).

Also, if you are intent on arguing that the form factor (such as the keyboard and screen layout) are in any regard useable then we just have a different level of what "useable" means I am afraid.

So, I respect that you may love your Touch Pro and you are welcome to do so (Hey, I purchased one too, so I know how it feels to want to LOVE your phone when it costs that much money). As I stated earlier, perhaps I just didn't spend enough time tweaking every aspect of the unit to make it perform as advertised, I just didn't feel like continuing to try.

The STP has been a revelation of "out of the box usability" and one the Touch Pro could have emulated in my opinion as an "average level user".
    Wow, really?

Not trying to be insulting, but did you understand Touch Pro usage?

I got mine about mid November '08 and am using the stock ROM. Very little tweaks to the registry.

Mine takes great pics of moving objects and I can send them with Sprint Picture Mail without a single problem.

And all the keyboards are completely usable for me.

You already noted you're not much of a tweaker, you don't really know what ROM you were using do you? Or can you tell me specifically the ROM version that was on your Sprint Touch Pro? Your assesment is the same as others who used the old ROM and about 5 months ago there were still some Touch Pros with the old ROM being sold. Look at my prior statements to you. I said specifically:

"Sounds like" means your statements sound like someone using the old ROM. I didn't say you difinitavely were using the old ROM, but it SOUNDS LIKE you were and you have no idea what ROM you were using and I suspect you didn't even know there were 2 Stock Sprint ROMs.

I also said to you:
    Mjolnir - If I got a Touch Pro with the old stock ROM instead of the new stock ROM I'd probably share your view.
    And stand by that. That is a statement about myself given my own knowledge of the ROMs.

I totally agree with you .

And again, several of your complaints are similar to those of users of the Sprint Touch Pro with its older ROM.

My Kodak digital camara does not snap till it gets the subject perfectly as it wants things too. Yes, the Touch Pro camera is a little slow, but works well for my needs. I have no argument with your experiences, although your "tiny" comment is humerous given you're using a device now with an even smaller screen. As Treotraveler mentioned, Sprint Picture Mail works, but you might want to take a look at this.

I simply pointed out you probably used an old ROM and you've seemed to take offense.

Before owning a Touch Pro, I though not having a front hard keyboard would be an issue, but I adapted rather quickly to soft qwerty. I use the Touch Pro slider hard keyboard when the device is in my car holder and it's way easier for me to use that in my car than the keyboard on my old 800w. Most everyone agrees the 800w has a better keyboard than even the Treo Pro. And to have a VGA sized screen with a front keyboard would be too big. This is why the Treo Pro has a smaller square screen.

I'm very happy that you're happy. And I find the Touch Pro to be very usable. You already know there are others who agree with me and I know there are others who very much agree with you. With most "normal" people buying IPhones, it totally kills any argument that a majority would rather have a front facing hard qwerty with a smaller square screen. Again, I'm happy you're happy, but it does not mean everyone or even most have to agree with you.

You did the RIGHT THING to just get a Treo Pro. You're happy, so you made a smart buy in getting a Treo Pro.

My Touch Pro didn't cost me much at all, given most of it was funded by Palm refunding me the price I paid for the Treo 800w. And I'm really happy you got a Treo Pro. My position about the Touch Pro does not involve the price paid, but rather because I really do find the Touch Pro to be a great device. Personally speaking, the Touch Pro 2 is coming and I have money to buy one, more than one if I wanted, but I don't really want the Touch Pro 2. I'm very happy and content at the moment with my Touch Pro.

Of course it's all what an individual has need for and many find the Touch Pro does well while others the Treo Pro and even more the IPhone .
    The camera is way better on the Touch Pro then the Treo Pro. First off you get a flash at least which by the way can be used for killer flashlight. It takes longer because of the auto focus which again is missing in the Treo Pro.

Here, good example. I snapped this one with my Touch Pro while moving with dark tinted windows and it was dead on.

Un-useable is a term that's been thrown out a lot in this thread. My Touch Pro out of the box was far more stable than 4 Treo 800's I've owned. I didn't load a custom ROM until a few weeks ago so I've used a stock ROM for over 5 months with zero issues.

It really comes down to form factor. If you buy a slider with intentions of really having a front qwerty you will find lots of problems. I believe this is what the OP is experiencing. The Treo Pro is just a blip on the PDA radar where as the Touch Pro is a hot selling device.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I like both form factors and own both types.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Spec wise, the 800w camera is the same as the Treo Pro camera, with the Treo Pro camera having a higher rate of digital zoom. Using 1X, I find the Touch Pro pictures to be vastly better than the pictures I took with my 800w. Regardless of lighting and setting.

If the choice of camera was my old 800w camera taking pictures the very moment I press the button, or pictures being taken slowly with the quality of my Touch Pro camera, I'll keep the Touch Pro.

(My Kodak digital camera that I paid more for than my smart phones takes a moment when snapping pictures too. And I like it so much, when it was stolen I went and bought another of the same.)
  18.    #18  
    Spec wise, the 800w camera is the same as the Treo Pro camera, with the Treo Pro camera having a higher rate of digital zoom. Using 1X, I find the Touch Pro pictures to be vastly better than the pictures I took with my 800w. Regardless of lighting and setting.

If the choice of camera was my old 800w camera taking pictures the very moment I press the button, or pictures being taken slowly with the quality of my Touch Pro camera, I'll keep the Touch Pro.

(My Kodak digital camera that I paid more for than my smart phones takes a moment when snapping pictures too. And I like it so much, when it was stolen I went and bought another of the same.)
    Totally understand that you guys may have a very different experience with your TP's than I had with mine. maybe it was your experience / willingness to manipulate the GUI, or live with the quirks. I can't say because I don't know your circumstance.

I couldn't get the TP to be workable, so I gave up on it. In the 5 months I owned it I had more moments of grief than the entire time I went through the Treo lineup (and considering the issues I had with my Treo 600, that's saying something). I didn't get a single picture of a NON stationary object to be in focus, couldn't get past the lag in the Touch Flo and generally thought the phone was more hype than reality (which 99% of all electronics are these days).

While there is no doubt the spec of the TP is superior to the STP, I just couldn't get it to be workable in an every day environment and would rather have a stable (if somewhat less spectacular) platform over the Ferarri with the bad motor.

I would guess many posters here are FAR more savvy than I am and could probably overcome the issues I had with the TP (or maybe I just got a buggy phone, which does happen), I just didn't feel like dealing with it any longer so I "sidewards / downgraded" to something that worked better for me.

So far I am loving the STP, but am happy that you are cool with your TP as well.

peace.
    I take pictures and videos of my kids playing sports (obviously lots of movement) every weekend with my Touch Pro and the pics/videos look great. (I never plan to take any pictures after the first week of a season and usually only bring the Kodak digital the first week, but hey it's the kids so I always end up taking some .) And as VibrantRedGT already displayed, a good picture while he was in motion and the cars in the background were in motion too. I'm sure that picture was scaled down in size for posting, because the Touch Pro pictures are much larger in size than that.

The camera has its shutter delay, but knowing about it pictures can be taken effectively.

Mine even with the stock ROM was fine for everyday use. I'm sure when the folks at CNet looked at the device they didn't do any tweaking before their review. Just as others who gave it positive reviews, although not every person or reviewer is going to have a positive experience.

Everybody has a device that works for them. Probably a good thing we're not all the same.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Mjolnir, I totally agree with you, the Touch Pro was an efficiency train wreck... just the fact that it took several seconds to re-orient the screen when sliding open the keyboard, and even though it made the "click" sound when tapping on the SMS app you could never tell if it was actually going to open the app or not the first time it was tapped... I ended up using the on-screen keyboard just because there was no quick way to compose an SMS with the slide-out keyboard, which made me wonder why I bothered with the Pro in the first place instead of the Diamond (nevermind the fact that the on-screen keyboard of either is substantially less usable than that on the much older iPhone). I think the fact that others here insist on repeatedly being defensive about the phone's significant usability drawbacks proves that the Touch Pro attracts the specs crowd rather than the usability crowd (no, darnell, I don't care at all that the Touch Pro has a TV out, but I do care that there's no included keyguard that keeps it from making phone calls in my pocket -- such a completely basic feature that my Nokia candybar phone from 1997 would be embarrassed to not have it).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast