Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    I've used a Sprint Touch Pro since December and think it's one of the best smartphones ever made. I was a little disappointed in HTC's attempt to try to make it too much like an iPhone and crippling the D-pad.

    I also think the battery life is pathetic, with just about any custom ROM. It's nice to have all these extra sensors and stuff, but I found myself turning everything off just to make the battery last for one day. Eventually I just purchased a few extra batteries.

    Mal's review of the Treo Pro's 3400mAh battery is making me consider giving the Treo a shot. You can actually USE all your phone features and still get through a day (or two??) w/ a decent form factor. The Mugen 3000mAh extended battery for the Touch Pro is amazing from all reviews but it's a brick. I might give the Treo Pro and extended battery a try, but I'll probably come back to my Touch Pro and my collection of extra batteries.
  2. #22  
    I'm not a big fan of the sliders either...but the Touch Pro 2 has me intrigued due to the larger screen which will make the onscreen virtual keyboard much easier to use for those quick texts and emails, whereas you can pull out the keyboard for longer texts/emails. I'll be sure to take a look at it when it comes out on AT&T.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by esoterica View Post
    I think the fact that others here insist on repeatedly being defensive about the phone's significant usability drawbacks proves that the Touch Pro attracts the specs crowd rather than the usability crowd (no, darnell, I don't care at all that the Touch Pro has a TV out, but I do care that there's no included keyguard that keeps it from making phone calls in my pocket -- such a completely basic feature that my Nokia candybar phone from 1997 would be embarrassed to not have it).
    So responding that the device works well for me is now a sign it lacks usability. That angle does nothing to dismiss that the device works well for many and even many reviewers agree.

    You don't care that the Touch Pro has TV Out, fine you don't use it, but I find it to be a great feature. Being able to use the device as a video player to a TV has proven to be a nice benefit.

    I always use holsters and never had a problem with them answering calls. There are so many keyguard apps it's comical to be raised as an issue. I never needed them, but there is no shortage of them available. I don't recall my old 800w having a keyguard when calls came in either. If it had one I never needed it.

    Everybody has a device they are happy with, which was earlier agreed, but thanks for jumping in to dredge up a very buried thread.

    Touch Pro didn't work out well for you, Treo Pro did, good, enjoy. That does not mean the Touch Pro is not usable. It means the Treo Pro works better for you. I'm happy for you. Hope you have the same sentiment towards me .

    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I also think the battery life is pathetic, with just about any custom ROM.
    What ROMs have you tried? I've found it varies. Some give better battery life than stock and some don't. But the Treo Pro has a smaller screen to fill and a larger battery, so that certainly will give you better battery life without a doubt.

    Bettery battery, faster processing, if you don't mind the resolution and don't really want TV Out and custom ROMs, the Treo Pro is not a bad buy. I've never had anything but good things to say about the Treo Pro. It's just not for me.
  4. #24  
    I think the fact that others here insist on repeatedly being defensive about the phone's significant usability drawbacks proves that the Touch Pro attracts the specs crowd rather than the usability crowd (no, darnell, I don't care at all that the Touch Pro has a TV out, but I do care that there's no included keyguard that keeps it from making phone calls in my pocket -- such a completely basic feature that my Nokia candybar phone from 1997 would be embarrassed to not have it).
    I'm a Treo user since the 600 days and made the switch from the 800w to the Touch Pro. I'll just throw my 2 cents in and state that I find it very usable. And, just for good measure, I'll say that the TV Out is a feature that I never thought I'd use, but I now use all the time: I have an old TV in my basement which has no cable connection, and I now can watch movies while working out by hooking my TV up to my phone.

    My main point being: usability means different things to different people. If a Touch Pro meets my needs, an iPhone meets the needs of my boss, and the Treo Pro works for someone else, then that's all good!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5. #25  
    I went from Palm Professional, to Visor Prism, to Treo 300, to Treo 600, to Treo 650, to Treo 800w, to Touch Pro. So I've held a lot of "Palms" and even a "Handspring". I didn't think I would transition to the Touch Pro as well as I did after all that time of holding hands .

    But we're all happy with what we have now.

    And Bujin, I wonder how many business pros have tried using their Touch Pro's TV Out for business presentations? Pop the cables into a projector and voila.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    What ROMs have you tried? I've found it varies. Some give better battery life than stock and some don't. But the Treo Pro has a smaller screen to fill and a larger battery, so that certainly will give you better battery life without a doubt.

    Bettery battery, faster processing, if you don't mind the resolution and don't really want TV Out and custom ROMs, the Treo Pro is not a bad buy. I've never had anything but good things to say about the Treo Pro. It's just not for me.
    There's a reason I've stuck with the Touch Pro for so long. It is a great device, it just has horrible battery life. I've done all the battery hacks, have MightRom5, NueDynamicClockControl to underclock like crazy, turned off the light sensor, toggle the GPS, switched to 1x mode, disabled the G-sensor, turned off BT, flashed the radio just to be sure, set brightness to 3-4, and still can't make it through more than 12 hours. I tried different batteries, and they all last about the same. I'm starting to think maybe it's the amount of Outlook data I have that's the issue (2000 calendar items, 2500+ contacts), but they shouldn't be processed on EVERY sync. I really don't know what else I can do.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    There's a reason I've stuck with the Touch Pro for so long. It is a great device, it just has horrible battery life. I've done all the battery hacks, have MightRom5, NueDynamicClockControl to underclock like crazy, turned off the light sensor, toggle the GPS, switched to 1x mode, disabled the G-sensor, turned off BT, flashed the radio just to be sure, set brightness to 3-4, and still can't make it through more than 12 hours. I tried different batteries, and they all last about the same. I'm starting to think maybe it's the amount of Outlook data I have that's the issue (2000 calendar items, 2500+ contacts), but they shouldn't be processed on EVERY sync. I really don't know what else I can do.
    Good grief man! You've done more than some Treo 800w owners to help battery life .

    I'm usually around chargers, which is why battery was not even an issue when I had an 800w. But I do have times I'm away for a while and need good battery life. I do have a spare and my old Sprint Portable Power Pack and even have considered something better, but I found that StarROM was pretty good on battery life. MightROM 4.16 seemed good with the battery too. I'm currently using EnergyROM 3, but it eats battery way more than even the stock ROM.

    Only system modification I ever do for the sake of battery is to turn off beaming, I leave everything else running and let the light sensor handle screen brightness.

    If you have some interest in Treo Pro extended batteries, have you ever tried any that are made for the Touch Pro?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Good grief man! You've done more than some Treo 800w owners to help battery life .

    I'm usually around chargers, which is why battery was not even an issue when I had an 800w. But I do have times I'm away for a while and need good battery life. I do have a spare and my old Sprint Portable Power Pack and even have considered something better, but I found that StarROM was pretty good on battery life. MightROM 4.16 seemed good with the battery too. I'm currently using EnergyROM 3, but it eats battery way more than even the stock ROM.

    Only system modification I ever do for the sake of battery is to turn off beaming, I leave everything else running and let the light sensor handle screen brightness.

    If you have some interest in Treo Pro extended batteries, have you ever tried any that are made for the Touch Pro?
    I've thought about extended batteries for the TP, but both the Seidio and Mugen batteries make the device thicker than it already is. The highlight in Mal's review of the STP battery is that the resulting device would still be only as thick as an 800w. I also doubt either one would help me make it through an entire day w/o all the energy saving measures I've tried above.

    I'm usually around chargers, and I have TWO Sprint power packs, an Energizer alkaline charger, and 2 extra OEM batteries. I don't foresee a day when I'll be out of juice. My biggest gripe with the phone's power scheme is that there's no way to hot-swap the batteries. On my 700wx, I could plug in, change batteries, unplug, and pick up where I left off. On the Touch Pro, if I pull the battery, it resets, even when connected to the charger. So I have to save / close all apps when swapping out, which is a pain.

    My next strategy is to just let the battery die a few times this week. There are some electrical engineers on PPCGeeks who claim this resets the internal battery meter and that leads to much better battery life. If that doesn't help, I might have to at least try out a STP with the extended battery.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    My next strategy is to just let the battery die a few times this week. There are some electrical engineers on PPCGeeks who claim this resets the internal battery meter and that leads to much better battery life.
    It does reset the internal battery meter, but there is no gurantee it will help. It will if the battery's meter is off a good bit and needing a reset. Yon can read all the details yourself here: How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    Last edited by darnell; 05/29/2009 at 08:40 AM.
  10. esoterica's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    There are so many keyguard apps it's comical to be raised as an issue. I never needed them, but there is no shortage of them available. I don't recall my old 800w having a keyguard when calls came in either. If it had one I never needed it.
    You know, I seriously considered preemptively adding to my post something to the effect of how it would be ludicrous to suggest that someone would have to go trudge through forums to track down some way to add a keyguard to a $500 -- supposedly technologically advanced -- smartphone (and that's if they can find the forums, because only a minority of even smartphone buyers are familiar with sprintusers/ppcgeeks/etc, and Googling for "Touch Pro keyguard" returns nothing useful), but I thought that no one could possibly be defensive enough about a phone to suggest that something like that was a reasonable thing to have to do. I guess I was wrong. This is really stupid s#!t that any reasonable person would conclude would be a drop-dead basic feature on any non-clamshell phone, and the fact that you seem to seriously be saying it's "comical to be raised as an issue" because the buyer of a high-end, supposedly business-class device can track down for themselves a way to keep the phone from waking up and dialing in their pocket... well, at the very minimum that removes your opinion from being something I'll consider in any future usability discussion. And, yes, the 800W has a keyguard. As a point of fact, the Touch Pro is literally the ONLY non-clamshell phone I've ever seen that didn't.
    Last edited by esoterica; 05/29/2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo
  11. #31  
    [QUOTE=darnell;1622415]
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    My next strategy is to just let the battery die a few times this week. There are some electrical engineers on PPCGeeks who claim this resets the internal battery meter and that leads to much better battery life. QUOTE]

    It does reset the internal battery meter, but there is no gurantee it will help. It will if the battery's meter is off a good bit and needing a reset. Yon can read all the details yourself here: How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    RonDutt has a thread on ppcg that talks about this. Deep-cycling won't help the Li-on battery chemistry in any way, and might actually hurt it, but he claims it resets the TP's internal meter. He notes that his battery life improved from hours to over a day.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by esoterica View Post
    This is really stupid s#!t that any reasonable person would conclude would be a drop-dead basic feature on any non-clamshell phone, and the fact that you seem to seriously be saying it's "comical to be raised as an issue" because the buyer of a high-end, supposedly business-class device can track down for themselves a way to keep the phone from waking up and dialing in their pocket... well, at the very minimum that removes your opinion from being something I'll consider in any future usability discussion.
    I'm amazed that a device discussion moves you so emotionally that you feel a need to use profanity.

    Glad you don't consider my opinion, because it seems this is making you a bit too emotional. Now perhaps this formerly buried thread can rest. The rest of us are at peace about it and I hope the same for you. Enjoy!
  13. #33  
    Hey skfny, perhaps you already knew, but word is that turning off beaming does nothing to impact battery life.

    As one ROM chef mentioned:
    I noticed this "turn off your beaming" thing is a PPCGeeks myth. But let's think about this logically for a second. What "beaming" used to mean.. and what "beaming" means now. With older devices, beaming ment using infrared beams to transfer data. Therefore if you left the beaming ON, you were leaving your IR receiver on and ready to receive other beams. That.. could have drained your battery faster.

    Nowdays though, we dont have IR sensors anymore. Beaming now, simply means the bluetooth stack doesnt need your authorization to receive a file. It's SIMPLY a registry key. I really dont see how it can save you battery life.
  14. #34  
    Not to beat a dead horse but getting wrapped up on Keyguard is down right comical. If it moves you that much then install Slide2Lock, done. For the remainder its not even a feature to consider.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions