1.    #1  
    Any way to open word docs faster? Setting program priority, processor settings, different program etc? I have a 70-80 page word doc I view multiple times a day (Don't need to edit this one, search is nice though) and it takes 10+ minutes to open. i know this is a large file and a phone, but if i can get it down to 1-2-3 minutes I would be much happier Waiting 10 mins to get an answer for work is rough when out in the field.
    I think the only thing that might help is changing some of the filesystem cache parameters and that might not work, could even make it worse.

If the doc is reference only (read-only), you could try converting to PDF and use one of the various readers out there (or convert to chm format).

Or try Docs to Go, and see if it can open the doc faster than the built-in MS word.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestions Zbop, that is exactly what I was looking for. I ended up just re-saving the file as a standard .txt for now though. It opens instantly, much better. I don't get the pictures, graphs, or tables that I use every once in awhile in .txt format, but I can load the 10 minute file if I really need that stuff. 99% of the time I am just looking for an answer within text anyway. Weird how a 3mb .mp3 can load basically instantly, but a 3mb MS Word file takes so long I give up most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Any way to open word docs faster? Setting program priority, processor settings, different program etc? I have a 70-80 page word doc I view multiple times a day (Don't need to edit this one, search is nice though) and it takes 10+ minutes to open. i know this is a large file and a phone, but if i can get it down to 1-2-3 minutes I would be much happier Waiting 10 mins to get an answer for work is rough when out in the field.
    Why don't you convert your document into an ebook (mobipocket or ereader) and then it will open instantly and is searchable.

Or convert to HTML and use PIE.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo View Post
    Why don't you convert your document into an ebook (mobipocket or ereader) and then it will open instantly and is searchable.

Or convert to HTML and use PIE.
    Oooooh. I never thought of this!! Does E-Reader display pictures? I think I remember Eragon 1 and 2 having some pictures in EReader on PalmOS. That's ingenious!! Would converting to EReader or HTML effect the way the text is displayed? Some of it is like a table or chart but not a picture, just MS Word formatting (some of it is important info that can't be mixed up too).
    Oooooh. I never thought of this!! Does E-Reader display pictures? I think I remember Eragon 1 and 2 having some pictures in EReader on PalmOS. That's ingenious!! Would converting to EReader or HTML effect the way the text is displayed? Some of it is like a table or chart but not a picture, just MS Word formatting (some of it is important info that can't be mixed up too).
    Ereader does support pictures. Of course so does HTML.

If you want to preserve formatting I think that HTML is the way to go. Tables and charts will not work well in ereader unless you convert them to images.

Try saving your document as HTML on your desktop WinWord. Copy it over to a folder on your Treo and then browse to it with file explorer. It will open PIE and there you go.
  7.    #7  
    Alright. I converted to HTML (wasn't real hard, but not easy without Word on this PC either heh). Seems to be working good, text formatting is more or less in tact etc and it opens fast. My only problem with this, is that PIE doesn't allow searching within the document Trying to find a relevant sentence inside 80 pages on a mobile phone without being able to jump to a page number (word can't do that either..grr) or search for words is a little difficult. What is involved in converting to EReader?
    Alright. I converted to HTML (wasn't real hard, but not easy without Word on this PC either heh). Seems to be working good, text formatting is more or less in tact etc and it opens fast. My only problem with this, is that PIE doesn't allow searching within the document Trying to find a relevant sentence inside 80 pages on a mobile phone without being able to jump to a page number (word can't do that either..grr) or search for words is a little difficult. What is involved in converting to EReader?
    Yeah, this is why I recommended chm format (compiled html) in my previous reply. It's indexable, searchable, supports graphics, layout and formatting, navigation via linking, and is smaller and faster than html. You can load a 400 page document instantly.

The only downside is that it might be difficult to find a converter for free.
    Doh! I didn't even consider that someone would make a web browser without a "Find" function - I'm sure you can find a WM web browser that does that if you look.

If you want to convert to ereader there are many options. OpenOffice has a plug-in that does a great job. You will be able to open your WinWord document and save directly to ereader format.

Ereader also has a utility called DropBook that is free, but requires that you use their special formatting language (PML). They also have a program called ebook studio that is simply horrible, but it is WYSIWYG - you can purchase it or try the demo.

If this is a one-time document conversion I'll be happy to convert it for you (I have all of those things installed already).
  10.    #10  
    Well, I have the file converted to .PDB as well as .TXT. OpenOffice didn't work, kept giving me a script error, but I did manage to get the files converted. Now I can't figure out how to open them in Ereader?! Grrr.......... The Book installer can't see my .pdb or .txt files on desktop, and ereader won't search for anything on the phone unless its "installed." Friggen ridiculous lol.
    Well, I have the file converted to .PDB as well as .TXT. OpenOffice didn't work, kept giving me a script error, but I did manage to get the files converted. Now I can't figure out how to open them in Ereader?! Grrr.......... The Book installer can't see my .pdb or .txt files on desktop, and ereader won't search for anything on the phone unless its "installed." Friggen ridiculous lol.
    The OpenOffice plug-in will throw script errors because you probably have the OO.org quickstart application running in the background (that pre-loads openoffice to make startup faster). Close it and reopen swriter and the plug-in will work. You could also just reboot if you want.

The book installer just copies the pdb file to:
    \Storage Card\My Documents\Peanut Press

This is where the ereader app looks for it's library. I suppose it will also look in \my documents\.... on the device if you don't have a storage card.

You can just copy the ebook file there and delete the book installer.

The ereader app will install quite happily to the card as well.
  12.    #12  
    Grr.. Book corrupt, please download a new book

Looks like an IPhone isn't the only one that can't read a WORD file! Just messin, I am sure you all (rouxdoo) will get this soon, just becoming almost not worth it.
    How did you get your book converted? I have been using ereader forever and never got that error. Can you open the file with the (free) desktop ereader?

I still think HTML is going to serve you better based on what you described. Go find a better web browser.

Doc to HTML is nearly foolproof. Ebook formats are really intended for reading in a linear fashion (like, well, a book). They don't deal well with images and tables.

Also, zbop made a great suggestion - you can take HTML and compile it into a help file that is pretty easy to search.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo View Post
    How did you get your book converted? I have been using ereader forever and never got that error. Can you open the file with the (free) desktop ereader?

I still think HTML is going to serve you better based on what you described. Go find a better web browser.

Doc to HTML is nearly foolproof. Ebook formats are really intended for reading in a linear fashion (like, well, a book). They don't deal well with images and tables.

Also, zbop made a great suggestion - you can take HTML and compile it into a help file that is pretty easy to search.
    I think I just did OpenOffice - SaveAs - PDB, but I could be wrong. I know the plugin was giving me errors and couldn't do it that way when I got it saved.

HTML Help file would be okay since its searchable, but zbop said free programs are out. I am not too keen on paying for a program I will only use once, to open one file. If it's the only option though, so be it, although I will probably end up just printing the darn thing and carrying it with me, however inconvenient that may be, rather than pay for a program to run one file.
    Form your first post, I gather that you know this doc well. Try breaking up and saving it as 3 or 4 smaller document files and open the section you need at that time.
    HTML Help file would be okay since its searchable, but zbop said free programs are out. I am not too keen on paying for a program I will only use once, to open one file. If it's the only option though, so be it, although I will probably end up just printing the darn thing and carrying it with me, however inconvenient that may be, rather than pay for a program to run one file.
    Aww, come on - don't give up so easy

Google "html help workshop" if you want to compile HTML into CHM. It's a MS developer package. Be prepared for a learning curve and some twiddling if that is the route you decide on.

Check out:
    Iris
    Skyfire
    Opera

the above are web browsers that probably all offer search functions.