1.    #1  
    Well I have been reading stuff about the pro for a few days now, reviews, youtube, features, and I really would like the unlocked GSM version of the phone. I currently have an Unlocked GSM Treo 650 that I really enjoy using. I go through T-Mobile pay as you go thing. I live in Idaho, with that said the only problem I have with the 650 is I cant get it on-line. Got the data plan (yes pay as you go data plan, $1 a day for unlimited data, text, e-mail) but nothing other then the text works. Tried for days reading forums (even the forums here, how I found this site) and such to fix it but nothing worked. My main concern is will I have better luck with the Pro? if not its not that big of a deal as most of you would be surprised to know that almost anywhere here in Idaho that has a population there is wi-fi. Because it has wi-fi built in I am not too worried about the wireless internet between population centers. Also another thing is the GPS, I am a delivery driver and as you can imagine address here in Idaho are very weird. Like one of my old address was 768 A East 170 North. They get even more complicated. So is the "turn by turn" GPS on the pro any good? I also like the 32gb expansion but only see a 16 gig card. I currently have the 16gig card in my 650 thanks to this site. Plenty of room for a phone. Another thing is that where I live T-Mobile is the only provider that I get service at my home, so how is the reception compared to the pro? Also during load times, (when they are filling up my truck) I like to watch movies, or tv shows on my 650, does the pro play video well? Anyways thanks in advanced if anyone could answer any or all of the questions I have.
    Now you've got me wondering where in Idaho you live. In Idaho there's lots of "gaps" in between population centers I'm from the Boise area originally. My Pro is on Sprint so I can't help you with a lot of your questions. I'm sure others with the GSM version will be able to help you.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    My biggest concern is that the unlocked treo pro doesn't have the 2100 MHz radio that T-Mo uses for its 3g. If that's not a concern, it's a great device, but I think your issue is going to be one of coverage, not getting a different phone that will get you online.

In general, your 650 should be able to get online anywhere the pro can.
    For TeleNav GPS (e.g., Sprint), you need a cellular data connection for it to download maps etc. I'm not sure if the unlocked Pro has a different GPS that has maps pre-loaded, but I would doubt it. So, you would almost certainly want to make sure that you could get your cellular data working.

As far as I know, although the phone supports 32gb cards, they are not readily available on the market yet. I would stick with the 16gb card for now, and then upgrade when 32gb becomes more common.

The radio on the Pro is decent for a smartphone, and I have heard that the GSM radio works about as well as any GSM phone. However, one thing you might consider, is getting the subsidized Sprint version of the phone, and then at your house using an AirRave appliance. This is what is called a femtocell. Basically you plug it into your Internet connection, and it is like having a personal cell tower in your home to give you 100% reception. It costs $5/month. Or, for an extra $10/month (e.g., $15 total), you can get unlimited calling through the AirRave, thus letting you save on minutes. In my opinion it is one of the best mobile phone deals around.

Video on the pro is good, if you have a good data connection. You can use a player like Kinoma to watch video podcasts, or the SkyFire browser will let you watch Hulu or other flash-enabled sites. It works fine on CDMA 3g networks, although I doubt your connection speeds will be high enough over standard GPRS out in Idaho, so you would probably need to pre-load videos. One good thing about media playing, though, is that it comes with a 3.5mm jack, letting you use any standard headset you like.

What you may try to do to verify that your data will work correctly is go to Best Buy to purchase the GSM version of the Pro, and bring your SIM card with you, to verify that it will work before leaving the store.

Best of luck. I think you will enjoy the Pro if you decide to go for it...it is a good phone. Just be sure to either keep it tethered to a car/desk charger, or get the 3500mh battery from Seidio, as the battery life (like on any smart phone) wont last all day if you are using data consistently.

-Dave
    Depending on where you live in Idaho, what sort of high speed access (3G) do you have available? I know that most unlocked GSM phones cannot take advantge of the Tmobile high speeds because of the frequency they use. I used a DASH and really liked it, only it didn't have the touch screen (one of the reasons I switched to Sprint). I think it's still running WM 5 but it may have been upgraded by now. The reason I asked about the high speed access is the previous comment about switching to another carrier may be something to consider. I personally have found that I get much better coverage with Sprint where I live than I did with Tmobile, but your experiences may be different. You can always try a different carrier and see how it works for you, most of the will give you a month to try it out and then cancel with a minimal charge if any.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys. I now understand why my unlocked treo 650 could never get the internet to work, it does not support the t-mobile 2100 ether. Well that's ok, like I said in my post wi-fi is abundant around here so I think I will be ok with the gps maps, also I found a site that lets you download maps in whole and use them off line. That will help a lot because I wont have the t-mobile data. As far as getting my own cell tower, that is something I don't really need as I get decent coverage. I do get pretty good coverage with T-Mobile out here, way better then Verizon and At&t, had all 3 carriers over the years, and T-Mobile is the only one that I don't have to stand on the roof of my house holding my phone in the air to get 1 bar signal (not joking) Thanks again. Also just fyi, when I was talking about watching movies or tv shows I download them on the computer while I am at work and watch them the next day at work.

I live near twin falls, I am out in the boon docks as most people around here are, hence the need for GPS.

One more question on the side note, any good places to buy the Treo Pro? looking to get the best deal not just the cheapest. Thanks again all who helped answer my questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khidr View Post
    My biggest concern is that the unlocked treo pro doesn't have the 2100 MHz radio that T-Mo uses for its 3g. If that's not a concern, it's a great device, but I think your issue is going to be one of coverage, not getting a different phone that will get you online.

I wonder why Tmobile got into this 2100Mhz 3G frequency and why they just didn't adopt the 'uniform' 3G frequency at&t uses (850Mhz/1900Mhz), it is a disadvantage to anyone buying an unlocked GSM/3G unit since most manufacturers do not offer this 2100Mhz band in their devices' hardware.
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
  8. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Khidr View Post

A slight correction. The GSM treo Pro does have 2100 MHz, which is 3G in most of Europe & Asia. What it doesn't have is the 1700 MHz, the 3G frequency used by T-Mobile in the US. For the OP ofcourse the fact still remains that the GTP can not use T-Mobile 3G.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
  9. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoster82 View Post
    Thanks guys. I now understand why my unlocked treo 650 could never get the internet to work, it does not support the t-mobile 2100 ether. Well that's ok, like I said in my post wi-fi is abundant around here so I think I will be ok with the gps maps, also I found a site that lets you download maps in whole and use them off line. That will help a lot because I wont have the t-mobile data.
    Even though the GTP or the 650 does not support the 1700 Mhz T-Mobile 3G, both should be able to get to the internet with the 850/1900 GSM bands. Most probably T-Mobile in you area is 1900 GSM only. With the unlocked and unbranded GTP, the phone will read the information from your SIM card and thus should behave as if it was a T-Mobile device except for accessing 3G.

Hope this makes sense.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    I have T-Mobile. He'll still get Edge through T-mobile, which isn't bad. Edge can update maps using TeleNav without a problem. It does on mine.

Once in a while I get 3G and the only thing I can think of is I am roaming on the ATT network.

I had ATT about 7 years ago. I had the 500 anytime minutes for $59 or $69 a month. Back then the coverage in Chicago by ATT was terrible. I think I would roam about 50% of the time. To add to that, every other month I would get roaming charges. I would call them up and they would correct 2 out of 3 roaming charges, then I would end up getting roaming charges again.

I would hope ATT has improved their network by now, but I have a friend who lives in Wood Dale, Illinois and when he turns his ATT Blackberry on, it connects to T-Mobile.

I am happy with T-Mobile coverage and pricing compared to ATT. I may go back to ATT in the future.
    Last edited by palandri; 05/14/2009 at 09:36 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

11.    #11  
    so what your saying is my 650 should have the internet? maybe my sim card is out dated? I got it a couple of years ago in a pay as you go phone for like $19.00 the phone was crap so I got the unlocked 650 and stuck the card in there. The internet or well t-mobile internet worked on the crappy phone but not on the 650. Did a little invitation, updated the proxy info and all that (can't really remember all that I tried) but anyways nothing worked. Maybe getting an updated card from t-mobile will help? I also read somewhere that 3g cards have the 3g logo on them and my sim card does not, would that make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by yoster82 View Post
    so what your saying is my 650 should have the internet? maybe my sim card is out dated? I got it a couple of years ago in a pay as you go phone for like $19.00 the phone was crap so I got the unlocked 650 and stuck the card in there. The internet or well t-mobile internet worked on the crappy phone but not on the 650. Did a little invitation, updated the proxy info and all that (can't really remember all that I tried) but anyways nothing worked. Maybe getting an updated card from t-mobile will help? I also read somewhere that 3g cards have the 3g logo on them and my sim card does not, would that make a difference?
    I would first try a new sims card. Since you own the phone, you can get a month by month plan through T-Mobile, which means you have no long term contract. That's what I have. You won't get 3G through T-Mobile with that phone but you will get Edge internet. It's not as fast, but it's not bad at all. It works fine for me browsing the internet, and it works fine updating maps when I am driving using TeleNav.

There are also other GPS programs like TomTom that preload all the maps on your storage card.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Yup
    I had the 600, 650 and 680 before my unlocked Treo Pro. I feel my GSMTP is superior to all of them in every way except maybe picture ID. LOL
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    I've had the 650, 700wx, 700p, and 755 ... and this phone. it's the best ever.