Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    I would really like to know if there is any way to have a second phone share the data and possibly the phone voice part too, with the phone activated on the account.
    Anyone?
    I think it's against the law.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think this question has very little to do with the Treo Pro.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Family plan or add a line through your carrier.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Outside of the US it is possible to do in some countries (I did in Bahrain-GSM). I don't think is possible to do it in the US (legally).
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    You still have to have separate lines with separate numbers No data sharing available (1 ESN # per line) but I use a service called "google voice" where I have 1 number and it "rings" at 4 lines presently.?

When someone texts you it goes to all for 4 lines etc

Its in Beta at the moment hopefully released "soon" to the public

www.google.com/voice
    Last edited by sjjones; 05/13/2009 at 09:10 AM.
    To share a phone number/voice on Sprint, is called "cloning" and it is illegal.

To share data, just leave your unactivated phone next to your current one for a day or two. Eventually the Sprint tower will confuse the two and allow the PowerVision sign in to work on the old unactivated phone, thereby allowing you "free" data on a different device.

But, if the phone become separated for a few hours, it will all stop. So really this is only good if you plan on taking the secondary device around with 24/7 and even then, no guarantees it will stick.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Mal:
    Do they have to be right next to each other, or if they are within a few feet (like right and left pockets) it will still work?
    Also, does it still use up data?
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    If I do it on my own number, why is that illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    Mal:
    Do they have to be right next to each other, or if they are within a few feet (like right and left pockets) it will still work?
    Also, does it still use up data?
    To initialize, it's best to have them next to each other and it can take a day or two or just hours...totally random.

Once connected, they can be within feet of each other, no problems. Yes, it uses your data. It is using your PowerVision login info to access the network, which is why this only works on pre-activated phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    If I do it on my own number, why is that illegal?
    You don't own a number, you simply rent one from a provider. It is illegal simply because you are taking a phone number/ESN data and putting on more than one device--it is what thieves do when they steal people's phones.

Your intentions here are moot. Plus it is not like installing a .cab file, but requires some work to do. You also run the risk of having your account red-flagged for a stolen device and having your account suspended/revoked, not to mention a possible visit from LEA.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If you ever read the fine print in the contracts that we all sign to open an account and all that other paperwork associated with a carrier, it is buried in there that you can't/won't/shouldn't do what you want. Mal is right, it's how the bad guys operate (not that I'm saying Mal is a bad guy, you understand).
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."