Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi folks

have Core player installed and running on the Sprint Treo Pro, however when playing music, it hiccups every so often and skips. The behaviour is similar to what CD players would do in cars some time ago. At times the music literally pauses for half a sec or so.

Are there any registry edits et al to ensure smooth music playback.

thanks

BigMots
    do you have the screensaver on? have you tried turning it off?

I've heard of reports that every minute, when the SS changes, you can get a skip with certain apps. I haven't noticed it with Kinoma or pTunes, but perhaps with Core it happens... :-/

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    do you have the screensaver on? have you tried turning it off?

I've heard of reports that every minute, when the SS changes, you can get a skip with certain apps. I haven't noticed it with Kinoma or pTunes, but perhaps with Core it happens... :-/
    hi Malatesta

no screensaver on here..and as far as data goes, only have Fring and Weatherpanel. No Activesync OTA et al either.

BigMots
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    hi Malatesta

no screensaver on here..and as far as data goes, only have Fring and Weatherpanel. No Activesync OTA et al either.

BigMots
    huh, I guess perhaps it is a core "issue" or maybe you play with the settings under Core, of which there are plenty.

also maybe use a ram cleaner before hand. personally, I'd opt for Kinoma or pTunes for music over Core--may want to consider, even though they are not free :-/

5.    #5  
    huh, I guess perhaps it is a core "issue" or maybe you play with the settings under Core, of which there are plenty.

also maybe use a ram cleaner before hand. personally, I'd opt for Kinoma or pTunes for music over Core--may want to consider, even though they are not free :-/
    I think you are correct Mal, cause Win Media player is playing the music with no hiccups. I do use MemMaid every night to clean the RAM up, so that should not be an issue either. Will keep tinkering with it.

Any settings in particular you recommend tinkering with in Core player ?

thanks

BigMots
    mine has been doing it, I updated to the latest version of core...same thing. Have you noticed that core player only does it on music? not audio books or voice only clips...it only seems to hiccup on music playback. I have screen saver turned off.

win media player does not do it but I like core player UI best.
    It's not just a Core player issue. It happens on mine anytime I play music through the back speaker on the phone using PocketMusic or TCPMP also. Exactly every 5 minutes on the nose. I've killed every app including ActiveSync and nothing fixes it that I've found. It doesn't happen when using bluetooth headphones however which is how I normally listen to music.
    Yeah this problem has *really* been bugging me. With SRS WOW and the 3.5mm jack, the Treo Pro is such a great music playing device that I've stopped carrying my iPod, but that glitch every 5 minutes was annoying me to no end.

Hannip is right, it isn't a Coreplayer issue; it's a known HTC bug on multiple devices and it affects all music players to varying degrees (WMP and the HTC player seem to fare better). This doesn't affect A2DP and the bug is not related to the screensaver bug.

A little background...
    HTC released a fix for the audio skipping on the GSM Diamond and Touch HD. I tried that cab on my Treo Pro and it hung my device, had to hard reset. Someone with a CDMA Touch Pro finally figured out what was modified and then created his own Raphael patch. So, I also tried that cab and it broke my USB, power and audio. Long story short, I disassembled the patched dll, figured out what the change was, and created a patch for the Sprint Treo Pro. The result is that I can now play music skip-free.

The bug is that one of the threads in a core HTC dll runs at too high a priority (real-time), and when it's active it interferes with the audio driver; this patch lowers the priority of the offending thread.

Installation (Sprint only):
    1) Install sdkcerts.cab
    2) Install STPAudioSkipFix.CAB
    3) Soft-reset
    4) If you are using Coreplayer, go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced and make sure that "Higher priority music playback" is checked

Note: Make sure that you install sdkcerts.cab, otherwise your device will hang during boot.

WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON A GSM Treo Pro!!

(if you are running into audio skipping problems on your GSM TP and need a fix, someone get a ROM dump and send me the dll, OEM_Misc.dll)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbop; 05/14/2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added certs and fixed instructions
    wow, nice work zbop

I forgot about that HTC issue with sound/didn't think it would still apply to the Sprint Treo Pro. GTK

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    I just got Kinoma Play, and I had this too. Thanks zbop for the good work!
    wow, nice work zbop

I forgot about that HTC issue with sound/didn't think it would still apply to the Sprint Treo Pro. GTK
    Yeah, the Treo Pro is definitely the most HTC-like device Palm ever released, with all the good (and bad), that implies...

(Ahh we finally got a new "winkie")
    Wow! Thanks Zbop!

I always use coreplayer in the car with a modulator and this very issue has been bothering me forever. It was particularly bothering me today and I decided to check the forum here. Bingo! Right on the first page is a thread and in it Zbop has a fix. I have been using treocentral for years, but rarlely post. I truly appreaciate all you guys like Zbop that spend the time and effort to help out the community here. Thanks again.

Bobby
    Awesome job figuring this one out zbop! You never cease to amaze.
    I just finally got around to installing this and trying it out. It hung my device and I had to hard reset. Anybody else have this problem?
    Bobby
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbylingo View Post
    I just finally got around to installing this and trying it out. It hung my device and I had to hard reset. Anybody else have this problem?
    Bobby
    Aghhhh, I didn't catch this in testing, bonehead move on my part... I tested this patch a number of times, but never from a clean stock system.

The problem is that since I had to binary patch the driver, I also had to resign the driver with an SDK cert. I already had the certs installed on my device for other hacks, so I never encountered the problem. If you don't have the cert installed, the dll will refuse to load and the device will hang at boot.

I've modified the instructions and added the required certs in my previous post, sorry about the screwup.
    thank you so much!
    Is it possible this could fix the problem I've been having with Pocket Music? After the first song it hiccups on the next song until I close & reopen.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Is it possible this could fix the problem I've been having with Pocket Music? After the first song it hiccups on the next song until I close & reopen.
    No harm in trying. It fixes the hickup problem in PocketMusic for me. I never had your problem with it having issues at the end of a song however so dunno if it will solve that for you or not.
    nope no dice
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah this problem has *really* been bugging me. With SRS WOW and the 3.5mm jack, the Treo Pro is such a great music playing device that I've stopped carrying my iPod, but that glitch every 5 minutes was annoying me to no end.

Hannip is right, it isn't a Coreplayer issue; it's a known HTC bug on multiple devices and it affects all music players to varying degrees (WMP and the HTC player seem to fare better). This doesn't affect A2DP and the bug is not related to the screensaver bug.

A little background...
    HTC released a fix for the audio skipping on the GSM Diamond and Touch HD. I tried that cab on my Treo Pro and it hung my device, had to hard reset. Someone with a CDMA Touch Pro finally figured out what was modified and then created his own Raphael patch. So, I also tried that cab and it broke my USB, power and audio. Long story short, I disassembled the patched dll, figured out what the change was, and created a patch for the Sprint Treo Pro. The result is that I can now play music skip-free.

The bug is that one of the threads in a core HTC dll runs at too high a priority (real-time), and when it's active it interferes with the audio driver; this patch lowers the priority of the offending thread.

Installation (Sprint only):
    1) Install sdkcerts.cab
    2) Install STPAudioSkipFix.CAB
    3) Soft-reset
    4) If you are using Coreplayer, go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced and make sure that "Higher priority music playback" is checked

Note: Make sure that you install sdkcerts.cab, otherwise your device will hang during boot.

WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON A GSM Treo Pro!!

(if you are running into audio skipping problems on your GSM TP and need a fix, someone get a ROM dump and send me the dll, OEM_Misc.dll)
    going to try that today..let you know how it goes Zbop...thanks a ton for researching and coming up with a fix for this..you rock

BigMots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast