Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have noticed that most people in the forum are using gmail on their Treo with Imap. I was wondering why I don't hear more people using the java gmail app. You get all of the great features of gmail and you can scroll with your finger. I have been using my phone for a month but without out a data plan, only with wifi, so the gmail app has been fine when i hop on a network. I am getting a data plan soon and just wanted to see what your pros and cons of each are. I have noticed in the gmail app that html didn't come through. From what I have seen there is no way to get the threaded conversations in the imap though right?
    I tried the java app but I much prefer to go to the mobile gmail site using UCWeb.

I also have it setup in the Messaging app so that I get notifications.
    The Java Gmail application trumps the stupid Gmail IMAP. The only thing it can't do is, sync in the background. If it could do that, nobody would bother with Gmail IMAP.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    I tried the java app but I much prefer to go to the mobile gmail site using UCWeb.

I also have it setup in the Messaging app so that I get notifications.
    When you say you have Messaging set up for notifications you just mean creating a Gmail account in messaging correct? That has nothing to do with UCWeb right?
    I prefer the Java app, but maybe I just haven't set up the push correctly. I much prefer having threads rather than individual e-mails -- I often have threads exceed 100 e-mails.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    When you say you have Messaging set up for notifications you just mean creating a Gmail account in messaging correct? That has nothing to do with UCWeb right?
    Correct. I usually read my email in UCWeb (a browser). I setup Gmail in messaging for the syncing and notifications.
    No sync is why most don't use it. I prefer pocket Outlook over and app or broswer any day.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If I need threads or older emails I just open Gmail's full site in Opera Mini. Otherwise (push aside) Pocket Outlook is just fine. We don't talk about Pocket Outlook because it's installed by default.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Is there any decent software that can push gmail on WM?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    If you have unlimited SMS, I highly suggest PushEffect. Basically you forward your gmail to your SMS, which is then picked up by this app as a hidden message. It then cues the phone to sync with the server and download/alert you to a new email.

Saves battery life (no need to constantly sync) and allows you to just use Outlook and Gmail IMAP with HTML messages.

Works with either default messaging or Palm messaging--just set the "from" area to "@" and you're all set.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The problem is that.. what if you get a text message from an email address??
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Seven Beta

best gmail integration, to date
    Quote Originally Posted by strongsteve View Post
    The problem is that.. what if you get a text message from an email address??
    Your phone explodes

Well, you can put a more sophisticated filter string i.e. if and when you get an email-sms, if may have some weird characters in it from the service provider--that can act as the filter. Using "@" is the broadest filter you can use and since I don't have people email-sms'ing me, it works.

Sprint used to have all email-sms labeled as "6245" which was all you needed for the filter...but now it looks more like a straight email, so on Sprint I think I need to use "@".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter