1.    #1  
    Actually, 2 questions:

1. What are the pros/cons of installing to the MicroSD instead of internal. I've seen people say the card is better but I would think internal memory would be faster. Plus, a card can only take so many read/writes.

2. In the memory tool, what is the difference between Program and Storage? If the device has memory set aside solely for program installs, why not use it?
    I look at it like this. If the application that I would like to install is a "core component", that is, something I would want to have access to even if the external storage card wasn't inserted for some reason (i.e. Regedit apps). If the application is small enough that it's not going to chew up all of my internal memory. If the application needs to start up quickly and run faster (such as ring tone apps.). If it's one of these types of applications, I'll install it to the phone's internal memory. If it's anything else, I install it to the external storage card.

Everything else, I keep on external storage card (i.e. Downloads, Docs, Music, etc)
  3.    #3  
    Yes, but why? Is part of the memory reserved for program installs anyway? Does memory used by program installs detract from memory used for overall performance?

I currently have 27MB of free memory in the Program category and 267 free in the Storage cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    ...1. What are the pros/cons of installing to the MicroSD instead of internal. I've seen people say the card is better but I would think internal memory would be faster. Plus, a card can only take so many read/writes....
    I've installed everything so far to my 8GB memory card. Couple of browsers, couple of games, cellfire, youtube, skype, plus all my pictures go to my memory card. Nothing seems to load slow. There are speed ratings for memory cards.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

5.    #5  
    Allow me to rephrase my question. If programs are installed to the card, is the internal storage memory wasted or used for something else?
    Allow me to rephrase my question. If programs are installed to the card, is the internal storage memory wasted or used for something else?
    You are pretty much correct there. There is a LOT of space to install programs to internal memory, and I use it. I install everything to the device (unless the program is supposed to be installed to the memory card) and have noticed no impact on performance and have installed quite a lot. I still have 260 MB left out of 340MB total (STP). Also, that unused storage memory is not going to be used by anything other than program installs and file storage. I keep all of my downloaded .CAB files and music files and such on my memory card so that I don't lose them in the event of a hard reset. Basically, I don't see any disadvantage to installing programs to the device.
    I get confused when you say, "internal storage memory". There is a certain amount of storage built into the phone itself, and there is a certain amount memory built into the phone itself. I don't see the programs I installed on the memory card using any of the phones internal memory when the application is not running. I just looked at my phone and it says 43% of my memory is being used. I don't know if that helps.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The pro comes with 80mb of program memory and 338mb of storage memory (that's what it says on my phone, your mileage (or memory) may vary). As I understand it, if you install a program to your phone, it goes into storage memory, and when it runs, it takes up program memory (again, don't crucify me if I'm not correct). Then there is additional storage memory available depending on what size of external microSD card you install (I went for a 16gb one). That being said, what I do is install my programs onto my device's internal storage, but any documents or files that they run I keep on the external storage card. For example, I have eReader and Mobipocket on the device, but my ebooks are on the SD card. I also keep any .cab files on my SD card. That way if I have to do a hard reset or if the device has issues, I can reinstall them from the card, and not have to download them again. I also store my pictures on the SD card, along with email attachments. I've not noticed any performance issues with the way I do this.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9.    #9  
    That is exactly what I've been doing. Programs to internal, docs, ebooks, music to card. I also have a folder of all the cab files on my card. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions because I have read that some prefer installing to card and I couldn't figure out why. Thanks to all who responded.
    I've never come across an application that required me to install it on an external storage card. However, I have come across applications that required that they be installed on internal storage. Because of this, I try to limit what I install on internal memory to the "critical" stuff. That way, I'll always have space when I come across on of those apps that requires internal storage.
  11.    #11  
    I've got quite a few apps installed including 3 browsers. I still have 263Mbs left. I can't imagine ever filling that up. The only thing I could see filling it up is with a program that had a very large database, like a mapping program. But, even with that I'm sure you could install the program internally and have the data on the card.
    Having almost 400mb of storage on the device is heaven. I remember some of the older phones having 64mb total for both program and storage.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Applications similar to MemMaid optimize the device for speed/storage, et cetera. I have always saved to the card and with the options available from MemMaid (I use the speed one), performance really is not an issue.
    I install to card when possible because internal storage will be used by email, SMS etc. I don't want to have to hard reset and reinstall everything after running out of space.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2