Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. I am the owner of a less-than-week-old Sprint Treo Pro. I came from 18 months with a Blackberry Pearl and a Moto Q prior to that (so I have a tiny bit of WM experience).

    Still, I've experienced a frustrating start to my phone. Rather than be the newbie who comes rushing to the community with questions, I took some time, searched, and compiled a list of questions I've been dealing with. Some of these I've been able to answer, others not. I want to include all of my questions so far so perhaps others can benefit from this.

    It's not my intention to bug you for a zillion answers, but I will try to keep this updated with new questions and new answers. Hopefully, other newbies can find it helpful.

    I apologize if these answers are posted elsewhere, but I really did look! I appreciate any input. I look forward to joining a new smartphone community.

    Best,
    Jake

    Unanswered questions: 11

    1. What is the best way to deal with Gmail?
    One answer: Well, this is my way of dealing with it, but I downloaded Jbed (Java client found here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1575603). After that, I went to m.gmail.com and downloaded the Java client. This is my preferred way of dealing with Gmail.
    More info on how to deal with Gmail can be found here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-app-imap.html
    5/12/09

    2. Why does my phone's screen light up at random times?
    Answer: I am in a fringe data zone, and I think this may be my phone flipping between EVDO and 1xRTT. Input here would be appreciated. This thing keeps me up at night!

    3. Is there a page up/ page down key? What's the best way to scroll?
    Answer: In Internet Explorer: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1592896
    5/12/09

    4. How can I install .jad files? What the heck IS a .jad file?
    Answer: .jad files are some sort of Java file, which, in its current state, my Treo Pro does not seem to support. I installed (link above) Jbed to deal with these.

    5. What is Titan? Why is this icon there? It just links to a webpage.
    Titan is Sprint's Java Virtual Machine (JVM). It does not come installed on the STP.
    5/12/09

    6. How do I easily read text messages? For example, say I am in a threaded conversation with someone. I send them a text, don't exit the screen, and they reply. I cannot seem to mark it as read. Instead, I have to exit the conversation, come back, re-read it. This is a pain.
    Answer: This is either a bug or working as intended. I may try the Palm messaging app (found here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html)
    5/12/09

    7. Why can't I connect through a data connection, but my phone CAN connect through Wi-Fi?
    Answer: I did have this problem. I rectified it by first calling customer service, who then directed me to the system settings tab where I selected "Update Profile."

    8. I had a soft reset program for my Blackberry. Is there one for this? How often should I perform a soft reset?
    Answer: The soft reset .cab can be found in Mal's post below. Also, my Mobile Shell came with a Soft Reset program.
    5/12/09

    9. Where does the Micro SD card go?
    Answer: Slide the battery cover off. On the left side, about halfway up, is a Nintendo-like slot to slide the card into.

    10. I have Bluetooth turned on, but my computer doesn't recognize my phone.
    Answer: Make sure you go to your Bluetooth settings and enable visibility to other devices.

    11. People seem to like both RealVGA and Mobile Shell. However, they are incompatible. Which should I use?
    Last edited by jammasterjake; 05/12/2009 at 10:06 AM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    1. What is the best way to deal with Gmail?
    This is my most burning issue. I am a Gmail addict and receive, literally, over 300 e-mails per day up to 500. On my old phone, I was able to use a Gmail application pushed to my phone via text message. This application no longer seems to work. Push e-mail does not seem viable with my high load of e-mails. This question is related to #4.
    Have you tried PushEffect? It uses sms messaging to push email to your device. Simply set up gmail to use imap (don't use POP3) and run/setup this program. Probably your best option.

    Other than that there is really no killer gmail app for WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    2. Why does my phone's screen light up at random times?
    Possible answer: I am in a fringe data zone, and I think this may be my phone flipping between EVDO and 1xRTT. Input here would be appreciated. This thing keeps me up at night!
    You guessed correctly. Get an AirRave from Sprint? This phone doesn't handle flips between 1x/Ev the best, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    3. Is there a page up/ page down key? What's the best way to scroll?
    For Internet Explorer? If so then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    4. How can I install .jad files? What the heck IS a .jad file?
    Part answer: .jad files are some sort of Java file, which, in its current state, my Treo Pro does not seem to support.
    Bingo. If you are looking to use say Opera Mini, download this .cab and install. It's the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) which is what .jads run through.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    5. What is Titan? Why is this icon there? It just links to a webpage.
    It's Sprint's JVM--not very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    6. How do I easily read text messages? For example, say I am in a threaded conversation with someone. I send them a text, don't exit the screen, and they reply. I cannot seem to mark it as read. Instead, I have to exit the conversation, come back, re-read it. This is a pain.
    huge pain, isn't it? It's a bug evidently withing WM6.1/Messaging. No cure outside of switching to the Palm messaging app--I actually prefer this app more than the default.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    8. I had a soft reset program for my Blackberry. Is there one for this? How often should I perform a soft reset?
    Attached to post near bottom. Reset as often or as little as you like.
    Attached Files Attached Files

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Thanks a bunch, Mal. Helpful info there. I added a new question as well, and I feel like I'll continue to do so. Just like a chronicle of my STP saga.
    Last edited by jammasterjake; 05/12/2009 at 10:03 AM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    11. People seem to like both RealVGA and Mobile Shell. However, they are incompatible. Which should I use?
    heh....I use neither

    It's really personal preference and no huge advantage to either setup. Personally I like the default WM Today screen and see no reason to add "fluff" on top. I do like Mobile Shell 2, but not so much 3.

    I haven't tried RealVGA in months, so it's kinda hard for me to say anything. Maybe I'll give it a shot again, but I'm not sure I like all the small fonts.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    heh....I use neither

    It's really personal preference and no huge advantage to either setup. Personally I like the default WM Today screen and see no reason to add "fluff" on top. I do like Mobile Shell 2, but not so much 3.

    I haven't tried RealVGA in months, so it's kinda hard for me to say anything. Maybe I'll give it a shot again, but I'm not sure I like all the small fonts.
    Hmmm, I guess the post with 3 recommended pieces of software led me to believe that just about everyone here is a RealVGA person.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    heh....I use neither

    It's really personal preference and no huge advantage to either setup. Personally I like the default WM Today screen and see no reason to add "fluff" on top. I do like Mobile Shell 2, but not so much 3.

    I haven't tried RealVGA in months, so it's kinda hard for me to say anything. Maybe I'll give it a shot again, but I'm not sure I like all the small fonts.
    I'm with you there Mal. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I refuse to get glasses. lol. So no RealVGA for me. I'll be looking forward to having a bigger screen with the Pre, but not planning to go there till the end of the year.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Maybe I'll give it a shot again, but I'm not sure I like all the small fonts.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I'm with you there Mal. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I refuse to get glasses. lol. So no RealVGA for me. I'll be looking forward to having a bigger screen with the Pre, but not planning to go there till the end of the year.
    same boat all counts

Posting Permissions