1.    #1  
    After activating a new phone and deactivating the old phone, does the old phone now have a "clean" esn? Can I sell the old phone on ebay and advertise it as being ready to activate? I've never been sure how that worked.
    If you are referring to a Sprint phone, if your account is in good standing then you can sell your old phone with a "clean" ESN. I've done it a few times and it's not an issue. They would only block the number if the phone has been reported lost, damaged, or stolen and was replaced, or if your account is not in good standing. I'm not sure if Verizon has a different policy or not. I know about the account standing from when I purchased a phone with a "clean" ESN off of Craigslist, and met the seller in the Sprint store to activate it. They couldn't do it since his account was over $500 past due and they had cancelled his service. In order to get a clean ESN, I would have had to pay his overdue bill.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  3.    #3  
    Thank you. Yes it is a Sprint phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    ....They couldn't do it since his account was over $500 past due and they had cancelled his service. In order to get a clean ESN, I would have had to pay his overdue bill.

Wow!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Wow!
    Yeah that was why he was selling his phone. Good thing I insisted we meet at the Sprint store to activate.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    And very wise of you to make him meet you at the Sprint store. I'm surprised he even showed up .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And very wise of you to make him meet you at the Sprint store. I'm surprised he even showed up .
    One of the beauties of dealing with Craigslist as opposed to that auction site the everyone uses. (Sorry, but after the last few days, I'm not EVEN mentioning it by name for awhile ).

Love or hate Ebay, the lack of face to face interaction does have some benefits at times.

I guess it all depends on the product what method and rules to establish before making the deal.