Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have opened this thread for users to report efforts to upgrade from Sprint 1.03 to 1.04 via Sprint.

Please report your experiences with either a) a flash at a sprint full service store b)or a replacement under standard sprint warranty or c) under TEP or d) refusal.

If you report a Flash lets have the store and tech name please otherwise that info is unhelpful.

If your preference or only alternative is a flash, please consider opening a trouble ticket and having it if unresolved escalated to "ADS" or Sprint "Advanced Device Support" which I think would be the best pressure point and most informed group within Sprint.

And please report ADS response results in detail for the benefit of other owners.

Let's leave aside in this thread discussions as to differences in value, performance, ebay issues etc. We have differing opinions. We should keep this thread oriented to helping push Sprint to making available the least time consuming update for those who wish it with accurate info and collective pressure.*

I understand all but a handful of users are reporting Sprint stores are saying no flash is available. I think the efforts should be concentrated on Sprint tech support to get this straight.
    ----
    *By collective Pressure I do not mean that Sprint is to blame, but rather they are the ones who can most easily solve the problem for their customers.

--------------------------------------------------
    Update May 10 09. TreoCentral's Malatesta reports the fololwing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    In short, if you can "assist" the technician when they are at the station with this info, it may help.

Basically, the 1.04 software is being put out and the file is in .exe format (meaning they don't need ICSS directly for the update as it is standalone).

Tell the tech to look under:
    C:\Program Files\FutureDial\ICSS Retail\Plugins\Treo 850e\Software

It should be under there. Will pass on more info if I come across.
    Quote Originally Posted by strongsteve View Post
    I recent bought a STP from mfrank16 on eBay and sure enough, it was 1.03. I printed these instructions from Mal and took them to the Sprint store at Preston and Park here in Plano, TX and they did it!! I now am at 1.04. Thanks Mal!
    Mal, thank you so much.

If anyone has problems after giving the nearest repair store please let us know.
    5/11: User Bulls96 reported his local repair still could not update:
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Failed. Brought it to the SPrint store, gave them the link provided here, actually laet them have it for 2 hours (coz they were busy) but they did not have it.
    Last edited by aero; 05/12/2009 at 10:09 AM.
    I purchased a STP off Ebay last month and it turns out that it's version 1.03. Although I've had some problems with the phone (e.g., missing calls, delayed texts, etc.), from what I've read, those problems are not because of the fact that I have the "recalled" version of the phone.

But, I decided to call Sprint tech-support today to see if I could get some of my issues resolved. Of course when they did testing (i.e., sending texts, calling me) almost everything worked fine. But, one of the calls went straight to voicemail and I received no notification of a missed call. That was "good," because it allowed me to continue with the troubleshooting process. I was then transferred to advance tech-support.

The rep did some more troubleshooting, and all diagnostic testing worked fine -- of course. But, I told her, in a "by the way" manner, that I think I might have the old firmware on my phone. I asked her what I should have, and she of course responded with "1.04." Knowing full well that this "issue" couldn't be resolved over the phone, I asked her how I could get the new software, to which she responded that I could download it from Palm's site. From reading this board, I immediately knew that her information was incorrect. So, I casually asked her to navigate the site with me and point me in the right direction. Of course, she couldn't find the software update.

She concluded [incorrectly, in my opinion] that my issues were due to the fact that I had the "old" software (i.e., recalled phone). She said that they could send out a new handset with the proper software. So, it's being shipped today and should be here in a couple days.

I don't know if I just got "lucky," or whether the climate at Sprint regarding this issue has changed, but I've got a new, up-to-date handset on the way, for free.

On a somewhat tangential matter: If I do a Sprite back-up with my current phone onto my memory card, can I just upload the back-up onto the new handset?
    Oops

LitiGator,

It looks like you double posted.

I think this is the better thread for your experience.

Go ahead and start a new thread for your sprite question.

Quote Originally Posted by LitiGATOR View Post
    I purchased a STP off Ebay last month and it turns out that it's version 1.03. Although I've had some problems with the phone (e.g., missing calls, delayed texts, etc.), from what I've read, those problems are not because of the fact that I have the "recalled" version of the phone.

But, I decided to call Sprint tech-support today to see if I could get some of my issues resolved. Of course when they did testing (i.e., sending texts, calling me) almost everything worked fine. But, one of the calls went straight to voicemail and I received no notification of a missed call. That was "good," because it allowed me to continue with the troubleshooting process. I was then transferred to advance tech-support.

The rep did some more troubleshooting, and all diagnostic testing worked fine -- of course. But, I told her, in a "by the way" manner, that I think I might have the old firmware on my phone. I asked her what I should have, and she of course responded with "1.04." Knowing full well that this "issue" couldn't be resolved over the phone, I asked her how I could get the new software, to which she responded that I could download it from Palm's site. From reading this board, I immediately knew that her information was incorrect. So, I casually asked her to navigate the site with me and point me in the right direction. Of course, she couldn't find the software update.

She concluded [incorrectly, in my opinion] that my issues were due to the fact that I had the "old" software (i.e., recalled phone). She said that they could send out a new handset with the proper software. So, it's being shipped today and should be here in a couple days.

I don't know if I just got "lucky," or whether the climate at Sprint regarding this issue has changed, but I've got a new, up-to-date handset on the way, for free.

On a somewhat tangential matter: If I do a Sprite back-up with my current phone onto my memory card, can I just upload the back-up onto the new handset?
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

I wouldn't recommend restoring a sprite back up to the new device.
    backup all your pim and only restore that.
    That's a good question I think others might have some additional ideas.
    Go ahead and start a thread with that very question.

Thanks again for sharing. I like how you led the conversation straight.
    Just call me Berd.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by LitiGATOR View Post

Who did you speak to at ADS? Actual ADS always give their name and callback number in my experience. That ADS team for specific devices are pretty small, even though 800w and Pro is shared ADS. It would be helpful for others.

In any case the way it was resolved is great. Sprint is the company with the the interest, and therefore the best channel to get the proper upgrade by whatever means works best.

I would not conclude she is wrong in stating your issue goes to the 1.03 software, there are no diagnostic tests you can perform at home that will be a full diagnostic. Somewhere in Sprint's notes on the Pro there are probably notes at this point as to what wa s fixed between 1.03 and 1.04.
    Didn't someone post a link to the Treo Pro service manual at one time? It would interesting to see if there is any information in that about the firmware and testing that can be done on it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Who did you speak to at ADS? Actual ADS always give their name and callback number in my experience. That ADS team for specific devices are pretty small, even though 800w and Pro is shared ADS. It would be helpful for others.
    She may have given that information, but I don't think so. Either way, I don't have it. But, more importantly, I did receive a confirmation email from Sprint Device Support confirming the transaction and providing a phone replacement order number.
  7.    #7  
    That's great news. It may or may not solve your problem but in troubleshooting eliminating variables is always good.
    That's great news. It may or may not solve your problem but in troubleshooting eliminating variables is always good.
    Yup, and at least I'll be on par with the majority of STP owners with the up-to-date version.
    I haven't had any problems with mine than anyone else is having (short battery life, albeit good for a WM phone, memory etc.), but maybe I will give that a shot on Saturday. Did you have to pay your deductible for the insurance, or did sprint fix the problem on good will?

EDIT: Forgot even the reason I posted I stopped at an Independent store today, or private if you will. They don't have the ability to flash roms. Not sure if its all independents, or just this one (they have been in business for at least 5 years when I had nextel) but the real Sprint store down the road couldn't either. Not just upgrading the Pro's rom, but no flashing in general. Of course, those are just the local stores here, your results may vary.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I haven't had any problems with mine than anyone else is having (short battery life, albeit good for a WM phone, memory etc.), but maybe I will give that a shot on Saturday. Did you have to pay your deductible for the insurance, or did sprint fix the problem on good will?

EDIT: Forgot even the reason I posted I stopped at an Independent store today, or private if you will. They don't have the ability to flash roms. Not sure if its all independents, or just this one (they have been in business for at least 5 years when I had nextel) but the real Sprint store down the road couldn't either. Not just upgrading the Pro's rom, but no flashing in general. Of course, those are just the local stores here, your results may vary.
    I think the consensus is that, so far at least, most/all(?) stores are not flashing or don't know. So if you wish to try a store the best thing to do is use the sprint store locator. check the nearest few that list "repair" and call them asking to be transfer to the repair department, to check if they can.

If not, if and until we understand for certain stores are flashing, other options are:
    2. Call sprint support, get a ticket to get escalated to ADS, and ask them to help you. you may score a new phone if you are polite and persisrant.
    3. Non TEP warranty. Try and get a swap out at store under new warranty policy. Right now in addition to the warranty from Palm legit sales have, Sprint is warranting handsets with no costs.
    4. Replaced under TEP you should not be charged a deductible for repair/exchanges under TEP that are not user damage.
    I just got a new STP off of eBay this week and stumbled across this. Blarg. I live very near (and used to work for) Sprint's corporate HQ, so I will be stopping by that store tomorrow. I'll post with any results.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    I just got a new STP off of eBay this week and stumbled across this. Blarg. I live very near (and used to work for) Sprint's corporate HQ, so I will be stopping by that store tomorrow. I'll post with any results.
    As this week there were still 1.03 on ebay?
    As this week there were still 1.03 on ebay?
    Apparently. I bought last Friday.
    I just got back from the Sprint store. My technician was on the phone with ADS (I assume) for about 15 minutes while we communicated details about the phone. Eventually, he said they could try to flash it, but to continue, I would have to pay $14.99.

When I asked why, he replied that because I had bought a used device, Sprint couldn't cover any technical help.

Confused (because I *thought* I bought a new unit), I said no thanks.

Apparently, the phone I bought on eBay (which was marketed as "brand new") has a serial number marked as refurbished. I will be returning the phone.
    Had you tried putting TEP on the phone? This "refurb" status is troubling. I wonder if Sprint is starting to identify 1.03 phones as non-new, just like Palm did with regard to warranty.
    Try typing ##786# on you phone and it should tell you the refurb status among other things. But this is sounding how Palm put it also. Since it was on ebay they are calling it a "used" phone. Even tho when you type that code in above it will tell you if it was ever activated. This is just Palm and Sprint's way of getting out of the issue, unless you got it at a sprint store then it's used.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    Try typing ##786# on you phone and it should tell you the refurb status among other things. But this is sounding how Palm put it also. Since it was on ebay they are calling it a "used" phone. Even tho when you type that code in above it will tell you if it was ever activated. This is just Palm and Sprint's way of getting out of the issue, unless you got it at a sprint store then it's used.
    I purchased mine from Best Buy, I am sure that there is no way it would be considered a "used" phone.

FWIW, in the past I purchased a Treo 800w from a 3rd party, had it activated in the store, and got full warranty and TEP coverage. The phone status after typing the ##786# it showed the phone as new.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I was kinda hoping to hear more from mal on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Bump

Turns out stores (service centers) that have ICSS available should have the ROM update for 1.04. Many service people might not know it is even in there and there is no regular, standalone Palm flasher available i.e. you have to use that program.

I'm looking into what exactly is in ICSS and what those files look like...
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I was kinda hoping to hear more from mal on this:
    I have some more info, but since I don't know ICSS at all nor how Sprint's systems work, it's a bit odd for me to pass on the information.

In short, if you can "assist" the technician when they are at the station with this info, it may help.

Basically, the 1.04 software is being put out and the file is in .exe format (meaning they don't need ICSS directly for the update as it is standalone).

Tell the tech to look under:
    C:\Program Files\FutureDial\ICSS Retail\Plugins\Treo 850e\Software

It should be under there. Will pass on more info if I come across.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    This menu shows my phone as NOT refurbished.

Should I take the time and money (for shipping) to return this, in your opinion?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast