Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jammasterjake View Post
    eing what was going on, and he said that he got a preview of the Treo Pro, and they later sent him an .exe file to upgrade to 1.04. For some reason, he kept it on his laptop, so we ran the same thing on mine.

And, whaddya know, I'm upgraded to 1.04 now. Thanks for the advice in here.
    Very cool, glad it worked out.

Now if we can just grab the file for here! No chance in having him give it to you?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Very cool, glad it worked out.

Now if we can just grab the file for here! No chance in having him give it to you?
    No, I actually half-joked if there's anything I could tell people online because there's others like me... he just laughed and said "no -- can't fight those Palm inside jobs."

The store is an employee store in Reston, VA; I can provide directions if anyone is in the area.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    For those that have been successful in getting the upgrade to 1.04, did the process wipe out any installed programs? I have Sprite backups but I had read that it might not be a good idea to Restore a 1.03 backup on a 1.04 phone.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Failed. Brought it to the SPrint store, gave them the link provided here, actually laet them have it for 2 hours (coz they were busy) but they did not have it.
    Bull have your tried another store, but maybe next time instead of leaving your phone, either email or just drop "Malatestas instructions" into the store and tell them to call you when they have the files.

Or maybe ask them to call one of the service centers (1-2 listed here?) who have done the flash and ask them to send them the files. (depending on thier size)

But again get them to call you when they have the files
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Failed. Brought it to the SPrint store, gave them the link provided here, actually laet them have it for 2 hours (coz they were busy) but they did not have it.
    Updated top post to include your experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Bull have your tried another store, but maybe next time instead of leaving your phone, either email or just drop "Malatestas instructions" into the store and tell them to call you when they have the files.

Or maybe ask them to call one of the service centers (1-2 listed here?) who have done the flash and ask them to send them the files. (depending on thier size)

But again get them to call you when they have the files

well yeah i wrote down Mal's instructions but they said they couldnt find it. Its just too much hassle to get them to call the other shops and ge thte file and then have them call me.... got no time for that. Need my phone. And i have done enough hard resets on my phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by js0012 View Post
    For those that have been successful in getting the upgrade to 1.04, did the process wipe out any installed programs? I have Sprite backups but I had read that it might not be a good idea to Restore a 1.03 backup on a 1.04 phone.
    Just about anytime you do a ROM update, you'll loose your installed programs. And you really don't want to restore from a previous ROM version (been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it ).

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    @jsjsjs,

Usually, if not always, a Rom flash completely erases everything - similar to a Hard Reset.

ivhs72 is correct about not doing a Restore.

Here's a thread about Sprite Restore when upgrading from 1.03:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-v-1-04-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by js0012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just about anytime you do a ROM update, you'll loose your installed programs. And you really don't want to restore from a previous ROM version (been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it ).

Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp34c View Post
    I purchased my phone from eBay and just got it yesterday from mfrank16 and ran into the 1.03 ROM problem that was on the phone I purchased. I found this thread after I had already purchased the phone and he never responded about any of my questions which leads me to believe he knew exactly what ge was doing and that is all I have to say about that.

Good news is I brought my STP to my local Sprint Store in St Louis, MO today and they were able to upgrade from 1.03 to 1.04 within 20 minutes. When the update was completed by the tech guy it did erase my email information and today settings and background but contacts and calender stayed intact.

I spoke with the tech and explained everything when I dropped of phone and he thought I was crazy as there were no updates for the phone. Upon picking it up though, he told me that it was an easy fix through Palms website which I looked through but could not find. The explanation given to me was that he searched Palms website, as there was no release from Sprint, and downloaded a *.ree (i believe that was the format) file which was then transferred to the phone via activesync. Once run on the phone it "basically" flashes the ROM and updates to the correct version.

I did not even think of asking him for a copy of the file as he said it was on the website but just got home to let everyone know my success and have not been able to locate the specific file on Palms website as of yet but he said it was somewhere on there after searching specifically through Treo Pro information. All is well on my end and would be more than happy to provide Sprint Stores contact info if someone is so inclined to speak with there tech....but hopefully someone will find file and be able to post it.

Thanks for the help and info

--on a side note, I received my phone yesterday and had no problem setting it up with all TEP included as I had on previous phone.
    Which store in St Louis did you go to?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veronicamays View Post
    Hey Aero why not ad to your front page a list of the Service centers that are starting to do the flash? would save people searching the whole thread.

People who getting it done just need to be more specific on the center it was done at?
    Quote Originally Posted by veronicamays View Post
    Probably not any that exist. Might not that post be a plant by an eBay 1.03 seller? He's brand new to the boards. That's what I've suspected for some time. Let's put it this way: has anyone been able to verify a successful update that has been posted by another member of the discussion board?
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Hey Aero why not ad to your front page a list of the Service centers that are starting to do the flash? would save people searching the whole thread.
    People who getting it done just need to be more specific on the center it was done at?
    There are 11,000 sprint outlets. I placed the sprint store locator url in the first post when we first started getting reports.
    As far as individual stores I called the one store noted by a person who joined and posted once, and spoke to the tech at the store they said they did not have any mentioned update yet.
    Let's have people place the phone number of store doing flashes so people can call before hand to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvalentinus View Post
    Probably not any that exist. Might not that post be a plant by an eBay 1.03 seller? He's brand new to the boards. That's what I've suspected for some time. Let's put it this way: has anyone been able to verify a successful update that has been posted by another member of the discussion board?
    Some plants here are very likely, but there is an update. I do not think at this time it is available everywhere yet or that there is a service note memo.
    I have contacted someone in ADS and they are trying to have a memo done and have it broadly available.. Otherwise people are still likely to get the run around.
    Call your service center first:
    http://storelocator.sprint.com/SL2/Default.aspx
    look for a location that has "repair" facilities. call them first.
    If they say yes post the stores address and phone number.
    Last edited by aero; 05/14/2009 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I purchased mine from Best Buy, I am sure that there is no way it would be considered a "used" phone.

FWIW, in the past I purchased a Treo 800w from a 3rd party, had it activated in the store, and got full warranty and TEP coverage. The phone status after typing the ##786# it showed the phone as new.

I tried ##786# and mine says new too. I do have 1.03 and not really having trouble. Been using a week. Only have e had to do one soft reset as I had "low" memory message. I could have turned off things with Task manager ( in fact I did that first and it did rectify the message ) But in general it works fine. BTW I bought mine on e bay , why should I not be satisfied ? What will 1.04 do for me ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jvalentinus View Post
    Take my word on it: the 1.04 updater exists

The directions I gave are quite specific. Perhaps not all the stores have it, not all the techs know about it, or they don't care.

This an unsanctioned update by Palm/Sprint and was used to flash some beta phones--that is why you are not finding this at every Sprint store, because officially it is not being offered to customers. It is also why a huge number of Sprint reps have no idea about the 1.03/1.04--Sprint is not offering this as an official fix.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I tried to get my 1.03 updated yesterday at the service store near Willowbrook Mall in Houston. I spoke with one of the managers (Randy) who was actually was using a STP (1.04). I showed Randy and the tech (Tori) Malatestas instructions and they were unsuccessful in finding the firmware to flash my phone. They gave it a good look, checked Palm's website, but couldn't find a 1.04 file.

If anyone is successful in the Houston area, please post.
    So no one has been able to personally get the file yet? Kind of sucks, I wouldn't mind buying a 1.03 if I knew I could find the software for it. Might head down to the Nextel rep here and talk to the owner and see if he has the file and is able to flash and give me the file also.
    wow...no news in over a week. I guess this is dead!
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    wow...no news in over a week. I guess this is dead!
    Not dead, I think it is generating requests into Sprint. That is how these things get pushed forward, even though it can be slow. Very often it takes 6 months or more. One week is nothing.
    does anyone know the name of the .exe file?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    ^ I don't think mal ever told us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have some more info, but since I don't know ICSS at all nor how Sprint's systems work, it's a bit odd for me to pass on the information.

In short, if you can "assist" the technician when they are at the station with this info, it may help.

Basically, the 1.04 software is being put out and the file is in .exe format (meaning they don't need ICSS directly for the update as it is standalone).

Tell the tech to look under:
    C:\Program Files\FutureDial\ICSS Retail\Plugins\Treo 850e\Software

It should be under there. Will pass on more info if I come across.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast