Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have one of the 1.03 versions from Ebay and haven't had much trouble with it. I couple of calls rolled straight to voicemail and one time right after I got the phone, a voicemail didn't show up for a couple of hours. I haven't tried my local service center about upgrading to 1.04 but I kind of think the whole 1.03 "problem" is being blown out of proportion. I did add the TEP to my phone and figure I will let the dust settle and let the service centers get up to speed before spending time to "upgrade" to 1.04.
  2. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LitiGATOR View Post
    But, I decided to call Sprint tech-support today to see if I could get some of my issues resolved. Of course when they did testing (i.e., sending texts, calling me) almost everything worked fine. But, one of the calls went straight to voicemail and I received no notification of a missed call. That was "good," because it allowed me to continue with the troubleshooting process. I was then transferred to advance tech-support.

The rep did some more troubleshooting, and all diagnostic testing worked fine -- of course. But, I told her, in a "by the way" manner, that I think I might have the old firmware on my phone. I asked her what I should have, and she of course responded with "1.04." Knowing full well that this "issue" couldn't be resolved over the phone, I asked her how I could get the new software, to which she responded that I could download it from Palm's site. From reading this board, I immediately knew that her information was incorrect. So, I casually asked her to navigate the site with me and point me in the right direction. Of course, she couldn't find the software update.

She concluded [incorrectly, in my opinion] that my issues were due to the fact that I had the "old" software (i.e., recalled phone). She said that they could send out a new handset with the proper software. So, it's being shipped today and should be here in a couple days.
    This is how it's done. Everyone here that's having trouble getting the same kind of helpful treatment should pay attention. As long as you act clueless and team up with the support staff, you can lead them to suggest what you wanted in the first place. I do this all the time and haven't paid for an upgrade in 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have some more info, but since I don't know ICSS at all nor how Sprint's systems work, it's a bit odd for me to pass on the information.

In short, if you can "assist" the technician when they are at the station with this info, it may help.

Basically, the 1.04 software is being put out and the file is in .exe format (meaning they don't need ICSS directly for the update as it is standalone).

Tell the tech to look under:
    C:\Program Files\FutureDial\ICSS Retail\Plugins\Treo 850e\Software

It should be under there. Will pass on more info if I come across.

I recent bought a STP from mfrank16 on eBay and sure enough, it was 1.03. I printed these instructions from Mal and took them to the Sprint store at Preston and Park here in Plano, TX and they did it!! I now am at 1.04. Thanks Mal!
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by strongsteve View Post
    I recent bought a STP from mfrank16 on eBay and sure enough, it was 1.03. I printed these instructions from Mal and took them to the Sprint store at Preston and Park here in Plano, TX and they did it!! I now am at 1.04. Thanks Mal!
    sweeeet

glad it worked

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I have opened this thread for users to report efforts to upgrade from Sprint 1.03 to 1.04 via Sprint.

Please report your experiences with either a) a flash at a sprint full service store b)or a replacement under standard sprint warranty or c) under TEP or d) refusal.

If you report a Flash lets have the store and tech name please otherwise that info is unhelpful.

If your preference or only alternative is a flash, please consider opening a trouble ticket and having it if unresolved escalated to "ADS" or Sprint "Advanced Device Support" which I think would be the best pressure point and most informed group within Sprint.

And please report ADS response results in detail for the benefit of other owners.

Let's leave aside in this thread discussions as to differences in value, performance, ebay issues etc. We have differing opinions. We should keep this thread oriented to helping push Sprint to making available the least time consuming update for those who wish it with accurate info and collective pressure.*

I understand all but a handful of users are reporting Sprint stores are saying no flash is available. I think the efforts should be concentrated on Sprint tech support to get this straight.
    ----
    *By collective Pressure I do not mean that Sprint is to blame, but rather they are the ones who can most easily solve the problem for their customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by js0012 View Post
    I have one of the 1.03 versions from Ebay and haven't had much trouble with it. I couple of calls rolled straight to voicemail and one time right after I got the phone, a voicemail didn't show up for a couple of hours. I haven't tried my local service center about upgrading to 1.04 but I kind of think the whole 1.03 "problem" is being blown out of proportion. I did add the TEP to my phone and figure I will let the dust settle and let the service centers get up to speed before spending time to "upgrade" to 1.04.
    Welcome to the forums jsjsjs.

Thanks for sharing.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the differences of 1.03 and 1.04.
    I put in Bold the intent of the OP and the purpose of this thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by strongsteve View Post
    This is fantastic news.
    We're glad it worked for you.
    Just call me Berd.
    I was on the phone with advanced technical support yesterday for well over 40 minutes. It ended fairly unsatisfactorily. During the conversation, the technician repeatedly said that Palm will probably issue an upgrade in the future (after they release the Pre), but he did not sound convincing.

I did my best to be politely clueless (as suggested), but eventually I had to guide him and show him that my software version indeed did not match. This seemed to really surprise him; he had not seen this issue before.

I then, again, ran into the issue of Sprint not dealing with refurbished items.
    hmmm, is your linke in their computer in the store Mal?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    hmmm, is your linke in their computer in the store Mal?
    yeah, that's my understanding

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I purchased my phone from eBay and just got it yesterday from mfrank16 and ran into the 1.03 ROM problem that was on the phone I purchased. I found this thread after I had already purchased the phone and he never responded about any of my questions which leads me to believe he knew exactly what ge was doing and that is all I have to say about that.

Good news is I brought my STP to my local Sprint Store in St Louis, MO today and they were able to upgrade from 1.03 to 1.04 within 20 minutes. When the update was completed by the tech guy it did erase my email information and today settings and background but contacts and calender stayed intact.

I spoke with the tech and explained everything when I dropped of phone and he thought I was crazy as there were no updates for the phone. Upon picking it up though, he told me that it was an easy fix through Palms website which I looked through but could not find. The explanation given to me was that he searched Palms website, as there was no release from Sprint, and downloaded a *.ree (i believe that was the format) file which was then transferred to the phone via activesync. Once run on the phone it "basically" flashes the ROM and updates to the correct version.

I did not even think of asking him for a copy of the file as he said it was on the website but just got home to let everyone know my success and have not been able to locate the specific file on Palms website as of yet but he said it was somewhere on there after searching specifically through Treo Pro information. All is well on my end and would be more than happy to provide Sprint Stores contact info if someone is so inclined to speak with there tech....but hopefully someone will find file and be able to post it.

Thanks for the help and info

--on a side note, I received my phone yesterday and had no problem setting it up with all TEP included as I had on previous phone.
    Good story. I will try this tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp34c View Post
    I purchased my phone from eBay and just got it yesterday from mfrank16 and ran into the 1.03 ROM problem that was on the phone I purchased. I found this thread after I had already purchased the phone and he never responded about any of my questions which leads me to believe he knew exactly what ge was doing and that is all I have to say about that.

Good news is I brought my STP to my local Sprint Store in St Louis, MO today and they were able to upgrade from 1.03 to 1.04 within 20 minutes. When the update was completed by the tech guy it did erase my email information and today settings and background but contacts and calender stayed intact.

I spoke with the tech and explained everything when I dropped of phone and he thought I was crazy as there were no updates for the phone. Upon picking it up though, he told me that it was an easy fix through Palms website which I looked through but could not find. The explanation given to me was that he searched Palms website, as there was no release from Sprint, and downloaded a *.ree (i believe that was the format) file which was then transferred to the phone via activesync. Once run on the phone it "basically" flashes the ROM and updates to the correct version.

I did not even think of asking him for a copy of the file as he said it was on the website but just got home to let everyone know my success and have not been able to locate the specific file on Palms website as of yet but he said it was somewhere on there after searching specifically through Treo Pro information. All is well on my end and would be more than happy to provide Sprint Stores contact info if someone is so inclined to speak with there tech....but hopefully someone will find file and be able to post it.

Thanks for the help and info

--on a side note, I received my phone yesterday and had no problem setting it up with all TEP included as I had on previous phone.

AKA mfrank16?
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    That is who I purchased it from and it was sent from FL even though his profile states he lives in NY.............
    Delray, FL? I'll bet mfrank16 is the same as idreamofwireless. idreamofwireless bragged that he had different aliases. He also said the merchandise was in MS but it shipped from FL.
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    Delray, FL? I'll bet mfrank16 is the same as idreamofwireless. idreamofwireless bragged that he had different aliases. He also said the merchandise was in MS but it shipped from FL.
    Add user "ozzy_0310" to the list. Same person.
    If you guys want to start a thread about Ebay buyers you know selling 1.03, go ahead.
    This thread is for getting Sprint/Palm to give us a solution.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    how do I tell what version I have ?
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjeff View Post
    how do I tell what version I have ?
    Settings -> System -> About and tap the Phone tab to find out what ROM you're running
    I went back to the Sprint store again today, this time armed with the registry information that shows my phone is not refurbished. They were very helpful, although did not seem to have a firm grasp on the problem. Repeatedly, they called the software a demo version, which may be true, but they seemed to think that it had limited functionality (instead of bugged functionality as I understand it).

I tried providing them with the link to the file provided earlier in this thread, but it did not help them. They called Palm again -- no help.

In the end, the store manager ended up walking by, seeing what was going on, and he said that he got a preview of the Treo Pro, and they later sent him an .exe file to upgrade to 1.04. For some reason, he kept it on his laptop, so we ran the same thing on mine.

And, whaddya know, I'm upgraded to 1.04 now. Thanks for the advice in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Good story. I will try this tomorrow.
    Failed. Brought it to the SPrint store, gave them the link provided here, actually laet them have it for 2 hours (coz they were busy) but they did not have it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast