1.    #1  
    I've had my Sprint Treo Pro (My first windows mobile device) for a few days now and I'm loving it, but since yesterday I've noticed something. Opera has been randomly closing, probably from low memory, but then I look at the task manager and it says that even though there are no applications open, over 95% of the RAM is in use. I have to soft reset to fix it. What's causing this? I hear that Internet Explorer 6 is drastically reducing the amount of RAM the sprint treo pro has... somehow. Is there a way to free that RAM?

Also, does being on 3G use more battery life than the slower connection? I can get a few hours of being on the internet with the phone, but I usually need to bring my charger with me. Is there a program that will automatically turn off data when the screen is turned off?
    Quote Originally Posted by torchie View Post
    I've had my Sprint Treo Pro (My first windows mobile device) for a few days now and I'm loving it, but since yesterday I've noticed something. Opera has been randomly closing, probably from low memory, but then I look at the task manager and it says that even though there are no applications open, over 95% of the RAM is in use. I have to soft reset to fix it. What's causing this? I hear that Internet Explorer 6 is drastically reducing the amount of RAM the sprint treo pro has... somehow. Is there a way to free that RAM?
    Hard to know without seeing what is on your device/installed. But yeah, Opera Mobile is tough to run on the STP due to the memory issues. Best bet is to get a RAM cleaner to occasionally flush out the memory :-/
    Also, does being on 3G use more battery life than the slower connection? I can get a few hours of being on the internet with the phone, but I usually need to bring my charger with me. Is there a program that will automatically turn off data when the screen is turned off?
    3g uses much more battery than 1x. The connection should time out when not in use (grey arrows) and battery consumption during that period should be close to nothing. There is a hack to shut it immediately but it often causes other problems. Perhaps look into getting an extended battery or modifying what is connecting/closing out apps.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    I switched to internet explorer. Might not be as pleasurable as opera but it is less of a hassle in the long run.

So if it's idle and consumes less power when the data connection is on but grayed, then I can just leave it on and get the same battery life, provided I'm not making use of the net while the phone's in my pocket?

When I soft reset the treo, I notice the memory consumption ranging from 60% to 70%, but I've seen screenshots where the memory usage is around 40%. Did they do something extra?
    There is also the Iris Browser. I have it on my Pro and it runs fine: Torch Mobile
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I switched to internet explorer. Might not be as pleasurable as opera but it is less of a hassle in the long run.
    I tend not to RTM with most things on my phone. So, a browser needs to be pretty intuitive for me to want to keep it. Others have raved about Opera Mobile. It just doesn't work the way I work & think. Opera mini, on the other hand, works really well, as does Skyfire. Right now, my favorite is Iris, which seems to take all the best features of all the others & combine them. Although, since most of these`are beta & Firefox Mobile isn't out yet, that could change anytime.

So if it's idle and consumes less power when the data connection is on but grayed, then I can just leave it on and get the same battery life, provided I'm not making use of the net while the phone's in my pocket?
    I'm not sure if there's a difference in that between the GSM TP & the Sprint version. But my GSM TP doesn't usually gray a data connection & I do see some battery drain if the connection is left open. That could be differences in the phone versions, data handling of GSM vs CDMA, or differences in the software I personally have installed.
  6.    #6  
    does anyone know how to set iris as the default browser?

I was able to do it before but I uninstalled and later reinstalled and I'm not sure how I got it to do that in the first place.

I was able to do it before but I uninstalled and later reinstalled and I'm not sure how I got it to do that in the first place.
    That's where things get interesting. If you use anything that relies on your default browser to render its info (like Weather Watcher), then you probably don't want to set Iris (or Opera Mobile or Skyfire) as default -- they all screw up Weather Watcher's display. I don't know if other things use the default browser, but it's something to keep in mind.
  8.    #8  
    thinking of switching back to opera mobile, the difference between opera and iris is that opera randomly closes when out of focus, iris randomly closes WHILE browsing OH NO OUT OF MEMORY!!!!

I'm thinking something in the background is killing my RAM, but I can't find a functional task manager that lets me view background processes and their memory usage. Dotfred's just closes with an error in the middle of loading.
    The biggest problem I have with Opera Mobile is when I start to fill in a field. As soon as I type the first letter, it leaves the field. I then have tap the field again and type another letter and it does it after each letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    The biggest problem I have with Opera Mobile is when I start to fill in a field. As soon as I type the first letter, it leaves the field. I then have tap the field again and type another letter and it does it after each letter.
    That's crazy... What version OM are you using?
  11.    #11  
    wow! after a hard reset I suddenly had a lot more program memory. now everything's going smoothly.

one thing though, what's the expected battery life for 3G browsing is the phone supposed to go to 0% battery within 5 hours?

and does the percentage usually go down by 1 every ten minutes?

Try navigate/home

Then try page/options/preferences/scroll down and select "Set as default web browser.

Gary