Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, tomorrow I might have the option to get into the STP from my 800w (going on my 5th refurb due to various issues like the device randomly turning on the screen and sucking my power down to zilch and missing numerous calls even with the polling hack)...

At anyrate, I had a few concerns I'd like to share about the switch:

1. Keyboard - maybe. I have used the centro before and it's doable but not the most comfortable... I'll miss the "smile".

2. Lack of the ability to use RealVGA and Zbop's Treo goodie hacks. I wonder if going to the original DPI is going to be hard.

3. Lack of physical soft key buttons... I've never had a flush touch screen, makes me think it'll just require getting used to, but still a concern.

4. Speed vs. Treo 800w. I have read reports and reviews stating the 800w is much snappier... this makes me worried. I hope it can keep up (as well as the available memory being lower, maybe the situation is associated, I haven't looked to much into it to confirm).

I was hoping for feedback regarding some of these issues.

Thanks guys.
    1. it's not bad, not great--I like it better now that I've spent time with it

2. i don't use realvga, so...lol, but I thought zbop had a realvga version coming for the dial-lookup

3. you get used to it and in fact it's grown on me a bit; use the IE6 rollback and the keymap hack to quickly toggle the fullscreen option in IE

4. it's fast enough; on large apps it is faster and on regular things it's pretty snappy

basically with zbop, cody and hannips' hacks/tweaks and ports it is really pretty good now

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Mal.

Yeah many things I am going to install.

Cody's IE rollback / nav.
    Zbop's dial lookup.
    Hannips Treo Alert Pro.

Anything else I should really consider?
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Ebag's RealVGA
  5.    #5  
    I love it on the 800w... but that means two things, less finger friendly (which is no big deal since I use my finger for my 800) and can't use Today Screen Lookup from Zbop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Anything else I should really consider?
    Oh quite a few, lol. The above mentioned definitely.

Plus all the rest of Cody's stuff here.

Chocmatic's "disable keypad sounds" is a must, imo.

Lord Bricks had a cool one modifying the Program icons--though he used 5 per row, I really like 4 (see image below).

Hannip's port of Palm's threaded SMS--get the pic ID back, no delay in typing bug and notification is easier to dismiss than the Wm6.1 version

Then of course you have your general MemMaid speed tweaks, OpenDNS settings, NullKB/SIP changer, etc. After all that, it's a pretty nice device

1. Keyboard - maybe. I have used the centro before and it's doable but not the most comfortable... I'll miss the "smile".

Much different keyboard than a Centro. I have both sitting right next to me, as well as a 755P. The 755 is by far the better keyboard of the three. The Centro is small and cramped, and I usually use my fingernails to make it work. They keys are a rubbery gel. The Treo Pro is almost the same size as a 755 keyboard, with the keys a tad bit smaller. The keys LOOK like centro keys (which I do like the look), but they are hard, not rubbery. Overall, I like the Pro keyboard. My only complaint is the lack of a "click" when pressed it. There is no tactile feedback because of it, and I tend to hit spacebar instead of "b" pretty frequently. Other than that, I have no problems. MUCH better than a Centro. Coming from a 800, you should adapt fine, but you will miss the "click" of the old keyboard.

2. Lack of the ability to use RealVGA and Zbop's Treo goodie hacks. I wonder if going to the original DPI is going to be hard.

I have seen RealVGA cabs for the Pro. I don't use it, but I do believe there is one.

3. Lack of physical soft key buttons... I've never had a flush touch screen, makes me think it'll just require getting used to, but still a concern.

Non issue. You will adapt fine. Physical keys would be nice I guess, but I have no problems with the softkeys at all, and it cleans up the device. The screen extends a little bit past the "picture" to help with pressing softkeys.

4. Speed vs. Treo 800w. I have read reports and reviews stating the 800w is much snappier... this makes me worried. I hope it can keep up (as well as the available memory being lower, maybe the situation is associated, I haven't looked to much into it to confirm).

Again, coming from a Centro, 755P, 700P, and 650P, I was concerned with the speed of WM. No problems for me. Ironically, the only apps that take more than the blink of an eye to load are the native apps (ie, calculator, phone app, recent calls etc.). They don't take 5 seconds, but it is odd seeing how fast the device moves through EVERYTHING, than watch it take 1-1.5 seconds to open something that should be instantaneous.

I was hoping for feedback regarding some of these issues.

I was very skeptical when making the switch. My only real complaints are WM quirks, not Pro problems. The hard keys for email, calender etc. are a little tricky, can be a little hard to press until they break in, and battery life is about equal to my baby centro despite a much bigger battery, but other than that I am happy with my Pro. You will be too
  8.    #8  
    Does the Palm SMS hack deliver MMS as a link still? That is my biggest pet peeve, I can't view them within the damn msg. It's so annoying. All great suggestions Mal. Thanks... as usual. It seems you enjoy the Pro over the 800w very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...........snip......Hannip's port of Palm's threaded SMS[/URL]--get the pic ID back, no delay in typing bug and notification is easier to dismiss than the Wm6.1 version

Then of course you have your general MemMaid speed tweaks, OpenDNS settings, NullKB/SIP changer, etc. After all that, it's a pretty nice device
    Are you talking about the IE thing, where it takes FOREVER for text to be displayed when typing? I had that problem, I was waiting seconds for a letter to pop up. Cleared my cache/temp internet files etc. and the problem disappeared. I think it has to do with how IE6 searches previously viewed URLs to attempt to display the URL before you finish typing
    Does the Palm SMS hack deliver MMS as a link still? That is my biggest pet peeve, I can't view them within the damn msg. It's so annoying. All great suggestions Mal. Thanks... as usual. It seems you enjoy the Pro over the 800w very much.
    Well it doesn't send a link for MMS anymore, but it fails on download for Sprint MMS. This is still being investigated, but it's a current limitation. You can still view your MMS on the web site however.
    See above post....If you use the default native SMS/MMS app, you'll actually get the picture in-line in the actual message for like the first time in Sprint's history (!)

So if you use MMS, native is better. Hannip and I aren't big MMS users, so we don't miss it, lol.

My perfect device would be to combine the 800w and Pro. Both are very good but the Pro has grown on me, especially with the above hacks (which didn't exist when I first demoed it). I mean, I really, really love old IE and really hate new IE6. Fixing that and other things went a long way to get me to adapt. Also, my new one has better keys (had a sticky Start button on the first) and better keyboard (more responsive).

I also have to say: I really love the Seidio 3500mah battery. With the softtouch paint, it feels like an 800 both in texture and a bit in size (lol)--actually the Pro with a 3500mah is slightly slimer than a regular 800w overall. But with that much power...man, the sky is the limit on what I can do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Are you talking about the IE thing, where it takes FOREVER for text to be displayed when typing? I had that problem, I was waiting seconds for a letter to pop up. Cleared my cache/temp internet files etc. and the problem disappeared. I think it has to do with how IE6 searches previously viewed URLs to attempt to display the URL before you finish typing
    Ugh, that is why I just disable IE6 with Cody's hack and never look back. But yeah, that is terrible.

No, what I was referring to is if you get a SMS with the WM6.1 version and hit you hit "reply", you have to wait a few seconds otherwise if you just start typing, it like always misses the first letter. So annoying! The Palm version doesn't do this.

Also, if you "dismiss" the WM version it won't actually dismiss, especially from the screensaver. You have to then open Outlook, click open the message and wait a second to clear it. Gah. Once again, the Palm version doesn't have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Well it doesn't send a link for MMS anymore, but it fails on download for Sprint MMS. This is still being investigated, but it's a current limitation. You can still view your MMS on the web site however.
    Once that is fixed, or at least gives a link to view the MMS online until you can get it fixed, I will be ALL OVER that app. I still owe you a beer though
  13.    #13  
    Blah... Id rather have the link than check out the website for pics.

I guess you have your picture mail account bookmarked?

I hope after my 4th refurb they approve this device... its getting old now.
    Blah... Id rather have the link than check out the website for pics.

I guess you have your picture mail account bookmarked?
    I don't actually use picture mail. Never did.
    Hey Darth, I would take the swap in a second, especially if it doesn't cost you anything. Most of the differences are somewhat minor and just take some getting used to. I had most of the same concerns going in, but now I'm pretty happy with the Pro.

This was painful for me, but after a couple weeks, you adapt and forget just how good the 800w keyboard was. If you are an extremely heavy typer or you are very picky about the feel of your devices, this could be the biggest obstacle.
    I've been using RealVGA just fine, and the dial lookup/speed dial plugins should work with RealVGA soon (about as well as the they did on the 800w anyways).
    Bugged me at first. Now if I pick up my 800w, out of habit I thumb the screen instead of using the physical keys. Like I said... you quickly adapt and don't even think about it after a short while.
    Close enough that it doesn't matter. The Pro is actually faster, see here. IE6 on the Pro feels slower than PIE on the 800w, but if you downgrade it using cody's hack, they're about the same. In some ways, the 800w feels more responsive, but once it actually starts a task, the Pro is usually quicker. I think you can make the Pro more responsive if you apply some of the Touch Pro performance hacks, but you'd have to judge for yourself. Video performance is also on par or better than the 800w.

And the only time I have actually run out of memory so far was trying to load Quake 3 Arena, other than that it hasn't been an issue.

One other thing that hasn't really been mentioned, if you work outside, this isn't the best phone, not because of the brightness of the screen, but because of the odd way that it reflects light internally. It's a funny kind of glare or haze that you can see when viewed in sunlight, I've never seen this on another phone. I think it stems from the fact that the lit screen is several mm's below the touch screen and light bounces internally.
    My wife has a palm centro, I have a 700wx, 800w, blackberry 8330, and a now the palm treopro. Keyboard, could have been better and i really dont like it, but i can work with that only because it is wider than the centro. Other than that touchscreen is flawless and easier to use being flush vs the recessed screen on the others. When I had the 800w i really did not use the touch screen much, now that I have the flush screen, I find myself using the screen more and it really works good. I really liked the 800w, but I must say the treopro was definetly worth the upgrade. I am working on getting a decent phone skin to give it a more rubberized feel. I do not like that it is so slippery, but the phone is a solid device other than the battery cover. The 3.5 mm audio jack makes it easy to use it like an ipod and integrate it with various types of speaker systems to play music like at a party or things like that. Now if i could only get rid of this stupid pandora error when trying to launch it and get a custom rom to free up some of the memory that was wasted on bs. I have lots of apps installed and i disabled the keyguard in the registry in favor of s2u2 and i have not had any lockups or freezes like i had on the 800w. The only other gripe i had was the softbutton assigned to internet, but i have fixed that with the wm5menu app and made that softbutton more functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Bugged me at first. Now if I pick up my 800w, out of habit I thumb the screen instead of using the physical keys. Like I said... you quickly adapt and don't even think about it after a short while.
    I laugh at myself every time I use my 750.
    I find my thumb reaching right over the physical softkeys.

I don't miss them at all.
    I did this, but rarely need it - just to get out off full screen mode mainly:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1514963
    Just call me Berd.
  18.    #18  
    All great stuff guys... I have actually come out of 96 DPI and gone to 128 DPI to see if I can adjust.

BTW, must installs for any device, AEButton Plus and Wisbar Lite!
    I have actually come out of 96 DPI and gone to 128 DPI to see if I can adjust.
    How's that working out for you?
    Just call me Berd.
  20.    #20  
    Hold on... lemme scroll down and see the rest of what you wrote.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast