Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

I have had my Sprint Treo Pro for about 2 months now and have noticed 3 hairline cracks.

I saw that the unlocked version of the phone had this issue as well when it was first released. I am pretty upset so ended up calling Sprint - they said as long as it doesn't show excessive wear they would replace it since I have their carrier insurance. If I have to pay the $100 deductible I will be pissed!

Anyone else having this issue with their Sprint Treo Pros!???
    I have a Sprint version also, and I have no cracks. Based on reading the other thread, I believe they had narrowed it down to specific batch(s) of phones. Read the other thread thoroughly and see if your phone falls into the batch numbers talked about.
    Where are these cracks supposed to develop at?
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbizzle View Post
    ...If I have to pay the $100 deductible I will be pissed!...
    Palm is aware of the hairline cracks that happened on the GSM version and they were replacing them.

I am curious, where did the cracks happen on the Sprint Treo Pro?

My wife and I both have an early GSM version with a serial number that had a lot of problems, but haven't had any cracks.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Hi everyone,
    I have had my Sprint Treo Pro for about 2 months now and have noticed 3 hairline cracks.
    post pic please showing where. thanks.
    Do you think Palm did any upgrades to the phone since the GSM release? Hmmm.... lets think, NO! Its a design issue.
    Gotta love technology... you blink and everything changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTreoProUser27 View Post
    Do you think Palm did any upgrades to the phone since the GSM release? Hmmm.... lets think, NO! Its a design issue.
    What do you mean by design?

I am pretty convince that it happened at the mold factory. One of the moderators here, berdinkerdickle, said somebody probably put to much hardener in one of the mold machines, which seems to make sense to me. What are you seeing in the design?

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Palm is aware of the hairline cracks that happened on the GSM version and they were replacing them.

I am curious, where did the cracks happen on the Sprint Treo Pro?

My wife and I both have an early GSM version with a serial number that had a lot of problems, but haven't had any cracks.
    There is one from the green button to the inside seam, & one from the red button to the inside seam. There is another one from the inside seam above the red button down the side to just above the wifi button.

I went to Sprint & they won't replace it because it is cosmetic & doesn't hinder the device's performance. They said as of now it is not a known issue in their forums either. I told them about the GSM Treo Central Forum but they didn't want to even look at it..

This sucks.. I spent a lot of money on this @!?&ing phone.. I shouldn't have cracks in it after 2 months!
    There is one from the green button to the inside seam, & one from the red button to the inside seam. There is another one from the inside seam above the red button down the side to just above the wifi button.

I went to Sprint & they won't replace it because it is cosmetic & doesn't hinder the device's performance. They said as of now it is not a known issue in their forums either. I told them about the GSM Treo Central Forum but they didn't want to even look at it..

This sucks.. I spent a lot of money on this @!?&ing phone.. I shouldn't have cracks in it after 2 months!
    Wow! I'd be upset too. It all documented the best it could be in the forums here.

If case cracks start happening constantly you can bet Sprint won;t call it a cosmetic issue for long. I think they will want to quietly replace any Pro with this issue if it starts coming up consistently. A a Crack is not cosmetic.

In terms of cause it is likely a combination of two things. Since its occurrence dropped off significantly in later Treo Pros there is very likely an issue iof quality control or brittleness in a bad batch or bad desing decsion on the brittleness of the initial batches.
    But there also well may be less support at positions in the frame. Indeed, looking inside an old 800w it appears to have a frame and the Pro maybe more of a uni body type construction more susceptible to stress. So there maybe two things going on. One correctable and likely corrected and an inherent one not as correctable.

By the way I picked up a 1.03 Treo for free. I am curious what you guys see as the various manufacture dates because my two March 15 purchased 1.04 Pros were apparently not returned and reflashed as their manufacture dates are March.

What is the make date Sprint pro you have as cracked?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I was one of the early buyers in the GSM version, and got the hairline cracks as well. I contacted Palm directly (being and unlocked GSM version had to) and after a couple of calls to tech support and sending them pictures to demonstrate the cracks were in areas that you normally don't put presure on (i.e. back cover, side of the phone away from buttons, etc.). Palm agreed on sending me a brand new replacement unit, which I have to say had much better finish and to this day no hairline cracks of any kind have appeared.

Here are the pictures I sent them so you can compare if your cracks look about the same or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...