Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just got my Palm Treo Pro on the 17th and have been very happy with it so far. The only concern I have had is that I used the GPS to map a long drive I had to make last week and since it was a 5 hour drive I needed to keep the phone charger attached.

While it was charging AND using the GPS the phone got extremely HOT. I'm glad I got a call when I did or I'm afraid that there may have been permanent damage.

I searched the forums but couldn't find a thread about this... All in all, I talked with the guys at alltel and they will swap it out for a blackberry curve if I decide to but I have to make up my mind in 4 days.

I would VASTLY prefer to keep my Treo Pro, but the GPS is a major feature I intend to use on a regular basis as I enjoy weekend road trips.

Also, does anyone know if Alltel has locked down the GPS to where you have to subscribe to their Alltel Navigation $10 a month service? If they have, is there a regedit that can unlock it?
    The CDMA Treo Pro has stand alone and assisted GPS. You should be able to use a program like Garmin Mobile XT with no problem, regardless of whether you're in Alltel signal range or not.

Heat issues are not a common complaint amount Treo Pro owners. See if Alltel will swap the one you have for another and let us know if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
    Also, does anyone know if Alltel has locked down the GPS to where you have to subscribe to their Alltel Navigation $10 a month service? If they have, is there a regedit that can unlock it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Quick note to all you Alltel Treo Pro users (anyone?) and using the internal GPS.

The internal GPS comes "deactivated" from Alltel and will not work with GPS software you install until you change the location settings from 911 only to allow other programs and services to locate you.

Under Settings > Phone > Services > Location.

For the life of me I could not figure out why my Garmin XT could not get a signal. Well low and behold it was because of the above information. Everything works great now!
    As to the heat issue, there should be a mechanism to prevent that, but you may have a bum unit. OTOH, these devices do get hot when charging, pulling data and using GPS. I always have my car vent aimed on the phone to keep it cool--might not be a bad idea. I'd swap it out for new Treo Pro and see how that works for you (and do the above trick to get GPS going).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Thanks guys,
    Since my first Treo Pro had a broken touch screen (not sensitive at all) and they replaced it once the manager said that they would not swap me out for another one... They would put me into a blackberry. I'll mount something to keep it in front of my A/C vent which is ICE cold and hope that it works well enough. If it does fry Alltel will have to replace it as long as it is under warranty. Plus I have the insurance thing so if I have to buy another one it will only be $100.

I appreciate your help!
    This is the only report of 'Hot' I know of. It's prolly not related to your issue, and it's with Gsm.
    But I thought I would share anyway - just in case.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...s-battery.html
    Just call me Berd.
    I use TeleNav (GPS navigation) all the time in my car and have my Pro plugged in the whole time. My trips are normally an hour or less. I haven't noticed any heat build up. I did buy one of these car mounts from the Treo Central store and use the mount that attaches to your vent, so that would give it air circulation. http://store.treocentral.com/arkon-c...r/3A78A574.htm
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Has anyone tried using nuepower on the Treo Pro? A pretty popular utility among us Touch Pro folks who have found heat issues to be common with those devices. If it works on the Treo Pro, you'll be able to see your internal device temp and tell if your device is ever not charging when at a certain temperature. With the Touch Pro, once over (or around) 47 degrees C charging stops. And the feeling on the outside is not always an accurate indicator of internal temp.

It's a definitive way to know if you're having heat issues. Also, it lets you see the battery discharge versus charge rate. Which is very helpful when trying to find ways to conserve battery life. If your ever in a position where you feel you need to.

(Here's how I beat the heat. Put that behind any hot device and things will cool down fast.)
    Last edited by darnell; 05/02/2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just tried the neupower and although it installed I couldn't find it in my programs... so I unisntalled it.

Thanks for the pointer to the mount. I need one since now I'm putting it in my trucks cup holder...and I can picture a nice bump in the road and a big spash of coffee going all over my phone.

Like I said... I'll use it till it fries itself and then get a replacement since they won't swap me out for another treo Pro. The mroe I use it the more I love it. I don't want to go with a Blackberry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
    I just tried the neupower and although it installed I couldn't find it in my programs... so I unisntalled it.
    After installation, the icon for Nuepower is in Settings, System tab, right next to the regular Windows Mobile "Power" icon. Did you check there?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I had Garmin XT running for three hours straight in the car tonight....plugged in the whole time.

I swear it wasn't even warm when I got there.

Data connection was off.....not that that should matter.
    Services that pull a lot of data case more heat. Garmin Mobile XT pulls maps off an MicroSD card, so it does not cause as much heat as Alltel Navigation (a variant of Telenav). Alltel Navigation like other cell provider navigation services, sends maps via the data connection and that causes more heat.

I have both Sprint Navigation (a variant of Telenav) and Garmin Mobile XT on my Touch Pro. Both cause temp to go up, but Sprint Navigation does it faster. But overall, I don't think the Treo Pro has heat issues to the degree the Touch Pro does. Maybe the larger screen, given even with Garmin the temp can rise too high on the Touch Pro.

But I'll still mention again, external feel does not necessarily give a good indication of whether the internal temp is hot. I've had times my Touch Pro didn't feel that warm, but it was pretty hot inside and vice versa. Only a program that can read internal temp tells the true story.

Bottom line is, if you can drive 3 hours without losing battery life you're probably OK .
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Yeah I can make it three hours using GPS and the OEM battery.....but that is about the limit.

Then again it was not getting hot with it plugged in so that will be my SOP when using the GPS.
    Had that problem w/one of my Pro's 7 one rep said that's normal for a little while & that heat prob. would go away I said change the number i don't like it i think it 's a charging prob within the Pro If you had it less than 30 days trade it back in or just call advance tech & they"ll send you another even if it's over 30 days old. if you need the number let me know.
    My Touch would warm up when charging and using GPS, but I was able to put it in front of the AC vent and it was fine. The Touch Pro would sizzle. The Treo Pro I haven't used yet for a long period in that capacity, but for short periods it's been fine.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!