1.    #1  
    My phone is a 1.03 model, yet seems to work just fine, has been registered and all seems well.

What am I missing? What functionality does 1.04 have that 1.03 is missing?

Is there a difference in performance?

Thnaks in advance.
    Look around this forum some, there are plenty of threads that talk about this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Look around this forum some, there are plenty of threads that talk about this.

Thans, I did search, but nothing I found succinctly lists any real performance differences, mostly just deals with the 1.03 ebay phones being "flagged".

I am just wondering what the REAL differences are bewteen the two.
    Keep reading, it's been repeated many times over. You'll run into it soon .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Thans, I did search, but nothing I found succinctly lists any real performance differences, mostly just deals with the 1.03 ebay phones being "flagged".

I am just wondering what the REAL differences are bewteen the two.
    There is nothing official from Palm or Sprint about the differences so speculation runs rampant. The people who have looked under the hood of both versions say that the 1.04 seems to free up an extra 2mb of memory compared to the 1.03. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any major differences.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    There is nothing official from Palm or Sprint about the differences so speculation runs rampant. The people who have looked under the hood of both versions say that the 1.04 seems to free up an extra 2mb of memory compared to the 1.03. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any major differences.

To add to this, the only thing I heard was that they recompiled the binaries for the OS.

That makes sense as there are no software version differences, no radio rom difference, etc. It's all the same except for the extra 2mb of RAM.

Perhaps there are some "finer" differences but those are not evident and Palm/Sprint have not said.

Zbop also siad this:
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Just a minor comment on the differences...

I compared a 1.03 registry snapshot and a 1.04 snapshot and after eliminating all the device-specific differences, and live-state differences, I can't find anything significant. There are a few minor changes, but nothing that looks like a bugfix.

Of course that *just* the registry, whatever they changed could have been in the filesystem or the phone firmware. I may write a script to compare two different ROM dumps, but if they did actually recompile the binaries, then it'll be too much work to tell what actually changed.
    That's in the old thread:Difference between v1.03-STP & v1.04-STP?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7.    #7  
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1592769]To add to this, the only thing I heard was that they recompiled the binaries for the OS.

That makes sense as there are no software version differences, no radio rom difference, etc. It's all the same except for the extra 2mb of RAM.

Perhaps there are some "finer" differences but those are not evident and Palm/Sprint have not said.

Thanks for the replies. I know everyone says "SEARCH" but unless you know the exact phrasing of the topic that has been previously posted SEARCH is useless.

I appreciate you taking the time to post the answers to my questions.

Cheers!
    Maybe a MMS issue in one thread here. Some people have said that Sprint flashed their 1.03 to 1.04.

As Berd mentioned in one of his post...how did so many of these EBay sellers end up with all these 1.03 when they were recalled... Who knows.

If I had a 1.03, I'd just take it in the Sprint and get it flashed. There may be some delay until all the Sprint facilities can do that, but I would get it flashed as soon as it was possible.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    To add to this, the only thing I heard was that they recompiled the binaries for the OS.

Maybe that's how the freed up the extra 2mb of memory?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    By the way, the thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...v1-04-stp.html is right on the front listing of posts in this Treo Pro forum, still on the first page .
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Maybe that's how the freed up the extra 2mb of memory?
    Yeah, that seems to be a byproduct--but who knows how all that stuff works.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, that seems to be a byproduct--but who knows how all that stuff works.
    I think the only ones who truly understand it are small dark rooms surrounded by dozens of monitors, with stacks of moldy pizza boxes, wads of empty cheetos bags, and cans of Red Bull strewn about.