Is this a royal PITA or am I just a dumb**s? (ok maybe I should not ask that here)...

I cannot seem to put calls on hold (single press to the green button while in a call -- according to the manual and yes I actually got to the point of reading it). Relatedly, I was testing conference calling with voicemail and the only way to get that second call is to use a contact -- dialing in a number with voice mail did NOT work -- the voice mail picked up the pushed numbers.

OK.. I just tried it again with a colleague and here's what seemed to work:
  1. Initiate first call
  2. Once connected, press green button briefly (holding it turns on the speakerphone). You will hear a flash dialtone. (This step apparently does not work at all when connected to voicemail, least not for me -- hence my above frustration)
  3. Dial the other number that you wish to conference with the first number. Wait for it to connect
  4. Select menu (softkey - you may need to unlock first)... add call (the dialing screen will clear the number after selecting add call)
  5. Press the green button briefly -- at this point both parties should be on the line. Remember you cannot disconnect one person now, if you hang up you hang up on everyone

The manual is definitely not clear about this and gosh it was so much easier with other phones (e.g. 800w, Treo 7X series, HTC phones etc.) Most of these had a button to conference/hold.

OK did one more test... DESPITE what the manual says about the stupid "add call" menu thing... it apparently does nothing in this process. Here is the updated steps:
  1. Initiate first call
  2. Once connected, press green button briefly. This will put the first caller on hold so they don't hear you dialing and you can connect with the second party and let them know they will be conferenced.
  3. Dial the other number that you wish to conference with the first number. Wait for it to connect (or not).
  4. Press the green button briefly -- at this point both parties should be on the line.

NOTE: Items 2 & 3 from the revised steps can be combined followed by pressing the green button briefly twice, i.e. with caller 1 on the phone dial the number then press the green button twice... both calls will be merged into the conference.