Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    lol....there's a 1-2MB difference in both versions...at most. I'd like to see a 10-15MB reduction.
    Lol i know, i dont think he realizes just how little 2 mb is when comes to dealing with apps. Wow version 1.04 has a whopping 2mb more come on give me a break. 2mb can be made up in one application lol.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    lol....there's a 1-2MB difference in both versions...at most. I'd like to see a 10-15MB reduction.
    It is 2mb. that is about 15% of remaining memory with several programs running if you are running a shell. A 15% increase in remaining memory is not trivial. It can make the differnece between ie freezing and not.

Would even more be better yes? but 2mb is not trivial when the device already has so little.

That is where you miss the point...the already low available memory makes a small difference more important ont he Sprint Treo Pro than the other WM phones we discuss such as the GSM Treo Pro, the Touch Pro, the 800w etc.

An analogy would be if you net take home $5000 a month, and your fixed expenses are $4000, a 2% increase over $5000 is a 10% increase in disposable.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It is 2mb. that is about 15% of remaining memory with several programs running if you are running a shell. A 15% increase in remaining memory is not trivial. It can make the differnece between ie freezing and not.

Would even more be better yes? but 2mb is not trivial when the device already has so little.

That is where you miss the point...the already low available memory makes a small difference more important ont he Sprint Treo Pro than the other WM phones we discuss such as the GSM Treo Pro, the Touch Pro, the 800w etc.

An analogy would be if you net take home $5000 a month, and your fixed expenses are $4000, a 2% increase over $5000 is a 10% increase in disposable.
    Once again you are reaching, 2mb can be gained/removed on your device with the simple addition/removal of one application. That is a terrible analogy that doesn't nearly compare.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    2mb can be gained/removed on your device with the simple addition/removal of one application..
    lol.You seem unaware that the Sporint Teo Pro has the lowest user remaining memory of any WM device launched recently.

When the difference between a recalled 1.03 and a 1.04 is 10% to 30% of remaining memory during certain activities, that certainly is significant.

You do know that closing applications on wm does not often remove them from memory? right?
    FYI: All Altell and Telus phones have 1.03
    FYI: All Altell and Telus phones have 1.03
    Are there any letters after the software version on those phones. Like the Sprint has ver. 1.04-SPNT (assuming that SPNT means it for the Sprint phones only). There maybe some differences between the firmware between the different manufacturers so that a 1.03 on an Altell or Telus would not be the same as a 1.03 on a Sprint.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    That's a good point. I've been looking for definative proof, but it's hard to come by. A few online articles have mentioned that Telus and Alltel are using the old 1.03 firmware, and 2 or 3 Telus users have reported that firmware version on various message boards. Besides that, it looks like both of those communities aren't as organized or active as the Sprint ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And once you make that TF3D port for the Treo Pro, I'm sure it will be in some future customized ROMs .
    BTW, I took a quick look at that, and I think I have a good idea what it takes to get working. It involves patching manila.exe so that it creates windows with the appropriate dimensions/location and then it's a lot of editing of the 500 or so manila files. Too tedious for me, unless someone wants to volunteer to do the editing (I might help with the patching).
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    BTW, I took a quick look at that, and I think I have a good idea what it takes to get working. It involves patching manila.exe so that it creates windows with the appropriate dimensions/location and then it's a lot of editing of the 500 or so manila files. Too tedious for me, unless someone wants to volunteer to do the editing (I might help with the patching).
    Well Zbop, you found the key to TF3D, but you guys need somebody who is willing to do the work .

I loaded up Juicy47's latest Touch Pro ROM today. And let me tell ya, that's a pretty sweet ROM! The TF3D-2 port is not yet perfect, but very usable to me so far. (Got to set the ROM file to a 24MB pagepool before flashing though or it will run a little sluggish. With the 24MB pagepool it screams and this is why the stock ROMs also run sluggish unless tweaked, but the pagepool adjustment beats any registry hack used when the ROM is at a 16MB pagepool.) Probably best I did MightyROM 5 first, so I could get used to the WM 6.5 quirks before getting into TF3D-2 and any quirks with that port . But overall so far it's all good.

I got up to speed on using SASHIMI and had my device fully setup the way I like in no time at all. Definitely was worth the time spent learning to use and configure SASHIMI. And it didn't take long to learn and configure at all when using the YouTube tutorial. SASHIMI is something anyone who only backs up PIM data could use too, if trying to get all applications and e-mail setup super fast after a hard reset.

If Juicy47 hooks up the Treo Pro, LOOK OUT!
  10.    #30  
    OK, so the big question is, where's the Hard SPL to unlock the Treo Pro? Who has the knowledge, talent and skills for such a thing? Well, Juicy47 knows people who know how to do things like that .

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy47
    im thinking of getting a treo pro as a 2nd device.

I think CMonex may be able to help us crack this remotely
    As I said before, I think that if we can strip down the ROM we can make the Pro just as speedy as the 800w, and using less memory will also translate into even better battery life.
    bump

MightyMike (his custom roms are notorious) is reportedly picking up a Treo Pro today...

Quote Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
    IF all goes well, I pick up my treo pro today!

---

Not to say im gonna get this baby unlocked. That's not my forte.

Hopefully CMONEX and friends can help get this Telus Treo Pro unlocked.
    Still gotta cross that hurdle of unlocking, but at least we may have someone with very good experience at building roms on board.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    Once again you are reaching, 2mb can be gained/removed on your device with the simple addition/removal of one application. That is a terrible analogy that doesn't nearly compare.
    Aren't we confusing program memory and storage memory here? I believe the memory is partitioned so that programs go to storage and available "ram" comes out of program memory. So, you could delete every one of your user installed programs and it wouldn't free up any available memory for running applications. At least, that is the way I have come to understand it.

So, the question is which memory partition is 2mb smaller with 1.03 vs 1.04. If it is Storage Memory, then I say no big deal. There is plenty of that. If it is Program Memory then the 1.03 should be able to match the 1.04 by disabling whatever service or startup program is different between the two ROMs.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    bump

MightyMike (his custom roms are notorious) is reportedly picking up a Treo Pro today...

Still gotta cross that hurdle of unlocking, but at least we may have someone with very good experience at building roms on board.
    Here's a link to that comment by MightyMike, for anyone wanting to view it at the source.

You guys have 2 of the best CDMA WM ROM Cooks buying the same device. Together I highly doubt they'll have any problem finding someone to unlock the CDMA Treo Pro. And they are the 2 who together brought what is arguably the best WM 6.5 ROM available to the Touch Pro.

You guys have something Mighty Juicy coming!!!

Not only do you have 2 great ROM cooks getting Treo Pros, but 2 ROM cooks who at times collaborate to make great ROMs.

Edbro, it's Program Memory.
    You guys are going to make me Cry with joy!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbro View Post
    Aren't we confusing program memory and storage memory here? I believe the memory is partitioned so that programs go to storage and available "ram" comes out of program memory. So, you could delete every one of your user installed programs and it wouldn't free up any available memory for running applications. At least, that is the way I have come to understand it.

So, the question is which memory partition is 2mb smaller with 1.03 vs 1.04. If it is Storage Memory, then I say no big deal. There is plenty of that. If it is Program Memory then the 1.03 should be able to match the 1.04 by disabling whatever service or startup program is different between the two ROMs.
    I think we are done with that argument, but for the sake of precision you are right and that is the point. If you ar running programs and have 20 mb remaining, 2 mb is 10% more and not trivial, and if you have 10 mb remaining as you may with a a shell, a nav program and calling up explorer that 2 mb is 20% and could be the difference between a freeze and reboot and not.

The Pro has the least remaining user available program memory of anything from 2009 in it class. The 2mb is not major, but it is also not trivial for those reasons
    I run MightyMike R3BORN ROM and absolutely love it. Mike is a genius.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that now the Treo boys who made fun of us that we need a custom ROM to make our Touch Pro's tolerable want that same customability. Mike and others who do this work make these devices fun. When the Treo fans get a taste you will understand what the HTC guys have been talking about all along. You will be hooked and view stock ROM's as a novelty. Stock ROM? Boring.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    reminds me of when I got my hands on the apache kitchen a few years back. Good times.
    Flashing turns into an Addiction real quick.

Pretty soon, nobody can get ahold of you, because you're constantly dinking around with your rom.

'We're sorry, but the party you are trying to reach is unavailable at this time. Please try again later.'
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    reminds me of when I got my hands on the apache kitchen a few years back. Good times.
    I actually had a 6700 with WM 6.1 on it last year. The Kitchen did become very addicting. I was flashing 2-3 times per week.

If Mike or Starman get ahold a Treo Pro ROM and work their magic, look out.

The R3BORN ROM I am using is WM 6.1 based. Darnell is using a WM 6.5 base. Both are very stable, offer really cool perks, have better battery life and much more.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast