Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I just got a new Pro and the battery was dead when it came. I let it charge for about 5 hours and it showed it was complete. I went I to the power settings and it showed 98%. I played around d with it for about 5 hours and got the battery warnng. Woke up this morning and it still only charged to 98%...

Should I return the phone or is this common?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Ok I just checked it again and while still plugged in it was down to 95% and then went up to 96%...
    Yeah, my stock battery would only get to 98% regardless of how long it was on the charger. My Mugen 1800 gets all the way to 100%, but I'm wondering if it's because I followed the charging regimen they recommended of letting it drain low before charging it three times.
    Quote Originally Posted by odnerd View Post
    it's common

the only way I've gotten to 100% (on the rare occasion) is through USB/PC charging

though an odd thing I wouldn't worry about it

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    is this a conditioning of the battery issue? i used to on my previous palm devices use it til it is close to draining and then charge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    is this a conditioning of the battery issue? i used to on my previous palm devices use it til it is close to draining and then charge it.
    as far as I know, conditioning batteries is not really an issue anymore--or rather you are not really suppose to fully discharge/charge Lion batteries. lots of debate on this but Battery Univ has a good write up on it

this has more to do with the Pro's firmware/OS and how it is reporting charge cycles

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

It states in the Treo Pro manual to not let the battery run low. To top it off as often as possible. And yes I believe its normal (although odd) for the battery to not always charge to 100%. I've had 2 Pro's do the same thing.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I was never bother by it. Sometimes it it 100% and sometimes like 98%.

Heck, one minute after you unplug it, it is already minus 1%.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by odnerd View Post
    I just got a new Pro and the battery was dead when it came. I let it charge for about 5 hours and it showed it was complete. I went I to the power settings and it showed 98%. I played around d with it for about 5 hours and got the battery warnng. Woke up this morning and it still only charged to 98%...

Shipping or storage with a dead battery should not be done with the type of battery on the Pro . simply existing in an uncharged state will damage the type of lithium poly battery, and specifically harm its Max mAh capacity.

This harm may range from significant to trivial depending on how long it was completely discharged.

these batteries are not really conditioned with cycles but you may see it go to 100% after a couple of cycles, if not I would consider asking sprint for a new battery and state that it arrived fully discharged.
    I always go by the green light to determine whether it's fully charged or not. Sometimes it's 96% sometimes 99%, but I'm not too concerned. It doesn't make that much difference on how long the device lasts.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I've been curious about this. I've noticed that my GSM Pro does actually get to 100% if it's plugged into the wall A/C charger, but if I leave it plugged in, it eventually starts to drain and goes down to 99%, then 98%, and so on. If I unplug it and then plug it back in again, it charges again until it reaches 100%, and the cycle continues.

This is in stark comparison to my wife's iPhone. On hers, if the device is plugged in, it will always reach 100% and stay at 100%. I've kept it in the wall charger for more than a day, and the battery meter always read 100%.

Does the iPhone have "smarter" battery technology such that if it reaches 100%, it "lets go" a little juice, and then continually keeps charging until it reaches 100% again? It seems that on the Pro, this technology is missing, because the phone will eventually completely drain if I leave it plugged in all day...
    i rarely see 100% charge. But when im charging off my laptop its more common for it to go to 100% than the wall charger