Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 234
  1. #101  
    Yeah, I miss the d-pad something fierce. However, forcing myself to get use to it was yesterday's thing and I used the real keyboard only once for a long email. The Bluetooth answering problem was a configuration issue that I over looked. The inability to answer the phone with Bluetooth off was a learning thing. Getting the job done quickly: the 800W & Touch Pro and that is because with the 800W I used the the keypad; with the TP2 I am trying to use the screen. Overall performance: no hot, no resets, no slow downs - just learning how to use it due to the number of options available.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yeah, I miss the d-pad something fierce. However, forcing myself to get use to it was yesterday's thing and I used the real keyboard only once for a long email. The Bluetooth answering problem was a configuration issue that I over looked. The inability to answer the phone with Bluetooth off was a learning thing. Getting the job done quickly: the 800W & Touch Pro and that is because with the 800W I used the the keypad; with the TP2 I am trying to use the screen. Overall performance: no hot, no resets, no slow downs - just learning how to use it due to the number of options available.
    That is good information...

    Will be interesting to see how you work with the on screen keyboard. Not really heard much about that.

    But I push a lot of email out a day... funny thing is how everyone keeps saying this is a business device, but not once have I seen a video with someone working in email!!!

    In general, videos are terrible... who cares about taking it out the box... the first person to do that, did it already.

    Going through simple menus? Already done....

    How about showing some meat.

    edit: wait... think I rambled on... not sure why, but me quoting you ended at "information..." lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3. #103  
    [ edited by dieter ]
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Will be interesting to see how you work with the on screen keyboard. Not really heard much about that.
    It's actually surprisingly decent. Mostly has to do with the 3.6" screen being large enough to touch-type on. I found using it 1 or 2 handed to be pretty productive for quick responses, typing a web site, etc.

    What also helps is enabling the auto-complete feature (via registry hack, dunno why they disabled it) to make it even more efficient.

    I'll also say this new Wifi chip (Broadcomm I believe instead of TI) is also very good--exceptional reception and it's very fast to reconnect on power-up. I like how I can leave it on all day, it turns off with the device, turns back on with power-up and seamlessly reconnects.

    And cell signal reception kills the Treo Pro, not a surprise really, but it is very good. Battery life is also similar to the Treo Pro, which is a huge surprise.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
       #104  
    I am lost as what you are all are saying.

    OK, we need to save Palm.

    How do we get Palm to release another phone like the Touch Pro 2?

    Pre was lemon I think and Pixi is another junk, I think.

    I hate those plastic jello keyboard.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I am lost as what you are all are saying.

    OK, we need to save Palm.

    How do we get Palm to release another phone like the Touch Pro 2?

    Pre was lemon I think and Pixi is another junk, I think.

    I hate those plastic jello keyboard.


    Yea... the Pixi is a baffling device... I thought palm would have went with a large screen. Guess they are attempting to go small since everyone else seems to be going big.

    Hopefully their third device will be webos on a device like the touch pro 2.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post


    Yea... the Pixi is a baffling device... I thought palm would have went with a large screen. Guess they are attempting to go small since everyone else seems to be going big.

    Hopefully their third device will be webos on a device like the touch pro 2.
    Pixi is a direct replacement for the aging Centro. That was a huge hit for them, so it makes sense on the near 2 year anniversary to release a WebOS version--grab all those customers who are about to be out of contract.

    I'm positive they'll have some large screen version eventually.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. #107  
    goodnight thread.
  8. #108  
    I cleaned up as much as was reasonable with my crappy hotel WiFi.

    Personal stuff should be taken to PM.
    People on both 'sides' of this 'spat' too things too far.

    Cut it out.

    Opening thread.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Pixi is a direct replacement for the aging Centro. That was a huge hit for them, so it makes sense on the near 2 year anniversary to release a WebOS version--grab all those customers who are about to be out of contract.

    I'm positive they'll have some large screen version eventually.
    This is true... what you say does make sense...

    BUT with the Pre being such a little device, I thought for sure they would have went large...

    Guess I was looking for a "hero" type device from palm. Open this baby up and watch it smoke on some real hardware!!!

    I'll go whine off in the corner.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  10. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
       #110  
    I notice Palm is getting cheaper and cheaper in their device.

    First they have Centro for teenages?

    Now they have the Pixi for kids?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    This is true... what you say does make sense...

    BUT with the Pre being such a little device, I thought for sure they would have went large...

    Guess I was looking for a "hero" type device from palm. Open this baby up and watch it smoke on some real hardware!!!

    I'll go whine off in the corner.
    lol, patience grasshoppa

    I have to admit: part of the allure of the TP2 is this 3.6" screen. That with TF3d2 really changes this whole OS--not always for the better, but it really feels different.

    At least for chassis-1 design, MS is recommending 3.5" screens or higher for WM7. New era I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I notice Palm is getting cheaper and cheaper in their device.

    First they have Centro for teenages?

    Now they have the Pixi for kids?
    That's being unfair I think.

    The build quality of the Pixi is suppose to be very nice. The Pixi is the upgrade for Centro users--not a different demographic. Despite forums like this, the largest untapped market for smartphones isn't "adult boys" with tech fetishes, lol!

    Palm will make a larger device, but mind you, they only have like 1k employees. Tiny company here in the U.S.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    [ edited by dieter ]
    And cell signal reception kills the Treo Pro, not a surprise really, but it is very good. Battery life is also similar to the Treo Pro, which is a huge surprise.
    I was thinking about how close to perfect my Treo Pro is for me, but you're right about the reception. While it's not bad, it's nowhere as good as my ill fated 800W.

    While I certainly wouldn't mind a larger screen, I'm not willing to make the trade offs. I can't imagine having a phone without a D pad. All this emphasis on the touch screen interface these days puzzles me. Besides the obvious problem of getting the screen dirty, it does not make for a good one handed experience. The front keyboard and D pad just seem much more productive to me. I'm not knocking people who use their phones for more recreational and entertainment purposes where the touch screen is well suited, it's just not my main use.
  13. #113  
    Regarding the Treo Pro radio, when the Treo Pro is (finally) unlocked, you should be able to try different Radio ROMs too. They're much easier to swap than the ROM with the OS, because Radio ROM changes don't involve a hard reset. I know with the Sprint Touch Pro, people who didn't like the Sprint Radio ROM felt the Telus Radio ROM worked better for them. Radio ROMs for some other CDMA carriers work with Sprint's network, sometimes better than Sprint's depending where you live. Sprint has made several Touch Pro Radio ROMs, I'm using the latest, which just came out recently. Sprint might have multiple Treo Pro Radio ROMs too.

    All these devices are a matter of personal preference and plenty of people with business needs use them all happily. I had a Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 800w and thought I'd have all sorts of transition issues going to the Touch Pro. But was surprised how quickly I transitioned. I had a much harder time going from Palm OS to WM than from Treo to Touch Pro.

    Just my opinion, but the Touch Pro 2 should not have been released without WM 6.5. Trying to scroll on a touch screen with WM 6.1 on something like the Programs menu is like the Wheel of Fortune. You flip the screen hoping to stop it before your program flies by, when you have a long list of programs. But with WM 6.5, that kinetic scrolling makes a MAJOR difference.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Regarding the Treo Pro radio, when the Treo Pro is (finally) unlocked, you should be able to try different Radio ROMs too. They're much easier to swap than the ROM with the OS, because Radio ROM changes don't involve a hard reset. I know with the Sprint Touch Pro, people who didn't like the Sprint Radio ROM felt the Telus Radio ROM worked better for them. Radio ROMs for some other CDMA carriers work with Sprint's network, sometimes better than Sprint's depending where you live. Sprint has made several Touch Pro Radio ROMs, I'm using the latest, which just came out recently. Sprint might have multiple Treo Pro Radio ROMs too.

    All these devices are a matter of personal preference and plenty of people with business needs use them all happily. I had a Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 800w and thought I'd have all sorts of transition issues going to the Touch Pro. But was surprised how quickly I transitioned. I had a much harder time going from Palm OS to WM than from Treo to Touch Pro.

    Just my opinion, but the Touch Pro 2 should not have been released without WM 6.5. Trying to scroll on a touch screen with WM 6.1 on something like the Programs menu is like the Wheel of Fortune. You flip the screen hoping to stop it before your program flies by, when you have a long list of programs. But with WM 6.5, that kinetic scrolling makes a MAJOR difference.
    I had a Touch Pro for a few weeks and then went to the 800W. The Touch Pro was my first WM device coming from Palm OS and I just found it too cumbersome to do things like entering appointments and tasks. Granted, a factor in that could have been my transitioning to WM, however I still had an easier time with the 800W and it's issues.

    Although I'm happy with the Treo Pro, I still miss the Palm OS. It sure was easy to do every day tasks in it. I don't know why Palm let it die. All they had to do was update the browser and make a device with wi-fi and I would have stuck with it. It was so easy to switch between apps in POS, I think the lack of multi-tasking wasn't near the shortcoming that some people thought it was. Palm OS on the Tre Pro would rock.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I had a Touch Pro for a few weeks and then went to the 800W. The Touch Pro was my first WM device coming from Palm OS and I just found it too cumbersome to do things like entering appointments and tasks. Granted, a factor in that could have been my transitioning to WM, however I still had an easier time with the 800W and it's issues.
    I'm using a Manila 2.1 + WM 6.5 ROM on my Touch Pro. I find it's easier to use when entering appointments than what came with the stock Touch Pro. One reason I mentioned the Touch Pro 2 should not have been released without WM 6.5, along with the Manila enhancements they released with it. Both together make everything easier. WM 6.1 was not really made for full finger touch screen devices.

    Although I'm happy with the Treo Pro, I still miss the Palm OS. It sure was easy to do every day tasks in it. I don't know why Palm let it die. All they had to do was update the browser and make a device with wi-fi and I would have stuck with it. It was so easy to switch between apps in POS, I think the lack of multi-tasking wasn't near the shortcoming that some people thought it was. Palm OS on the Tre Pro would rock.
    I felt that way to the point I floated the idea that Palm's partnership with MS might have been their worst move ever. As some in that thread explain though, the whole Palm Source spin off is likely where Palm messed up with Palm OS.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    I was thinking about how close to perfect my Treo Pro is for me, but you're right about the reception. While it's not bad, it's nowhere as good as my ill fated 800W.
    Yeah, it's just been causing me problems as of late, even with an Air Rave. Shame it wasn't more reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    While I certainly wouldn't mind a larger screen, I'm not willing to make the trade offs. I can't imagine having a phone without a D pad. All this emphasis on the touch screen interface these days puzzles me. Besides the obvious problem of getting the screen dirty, it does not make for a good one handed experience. The front keyboard and D pad just seem much more productive to me. I'm not knocking people who use their phones for more recreational and entertainment purposes where the touch screen is well suited, it's just not my main use.
    Indeed.

    Lots of trade off. I doubt most Treo users would like the TP2 form factor. It operates completely different. I usually find myself using it like an iPhone: hold it in the left hand, operate with the right. HTC has really done a nice job though with making the transition easy--the re-skinned menus are a huge example (they're very nice looking).

    Like I said earlier: you can do just about everything faster on a Treo Pro, but it feels nicer doing it on a TP2. That's not an endorsement of either as it is all personal preference. I can see switching between the two, depending on my mood--Treo Pro on rush days/traveling light; TP2 on more relaxed days, don't mind the bulk ;-)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Like I said earlier: you can do just about everything faster on a Treo Pro, but it feels nicer doing it on a TP2. That's not an endorsement of either as it is all personal preference. I can see switching between the two, depending on my mood--Treo Pro on rush days/traveling light; TP2 on more relaxed days, don't mind the bulk ;-)
    I agree, I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other. It just depends on what your intended use and personal preference is.

    The screen on the TP2 is definitely better for videos and photos, I just don't use my phone often enough for that to put up with what I consider limitations of the form factor.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    [edited by dieter ]

    [benchmarks] It does matter for me. And for what I use a device for it does press the performance at times and it just happens devices that benchmark better have worked better for me. I would have a Treo Pro if not for its smaller screen. I'm considering a Touch Pro 2, but really I'm still looking things over and have no need to rush. Especially when it has not even been unlocked yet. Like I told you back in the 800w days, I'll wait 30-90 days minimum before I buy any device. And yea, I'm really wanting something that really outperforms current lot of 528 MHz devices. Still might get the Touch Pro 2, but it really depends on how things look after it's unlocked. Only way I'll use WM 6.1 again is if I need to return my device for service .

    [edited by dieter]
    FWIW, I appreciate both your comments and Mal's and thank you for providing them.
    The heat issue was very real on the TP and for that reason primarily, I won't be getting a TP2. Every device overheats but I had to go far out of my way to avoid processor-intensive apps on the TP1. I might be inclined to reconsider if the TP2 had a world-class desktop-like browser, but that is something that remains elusive on mobile devices in general today. As is, the TP2 doesn't offer me anything exceptional over the Treo Pro, and the Treo offers a lot more practical everyday usability. Hope to do this again for the TP3 with a faster processor and newer OS and hopefully fewer heat issues next year.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I might be inclined to reconsider if the TP2 had a world-class desktop-like browser, but that is something that remains elusive on mobile devices in general today.
    Opera 9.5 on a 3.6" screen is pretty darn close, I have to say. I'm not a fan of Opera Mobile on the Treo but this "custom" HTC version is pretty damn awesome. For the first time I feel I can really browse the web without compromise.

    But, I really hope with the WM6.5 update they get to put on Opera 9.7, which works even better and can do flash/YouTube embedded.

    I'm going to keep the TP2 (I'm getting it for <$250 through a friend) but it won't replace the Treo Pro.

    My full review will be up early next week on WMExperts, followed by George's take.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
       #120  
    Here is something that might get your balls rolling ...

    Try to use it with TomTom7 without a physical d-pad on TP2.

    I use it to zoom in and out. I like interaction. I bet you cant do it on TP2.

    Yah, you said you could use those tiny corner + and -, but if you press it wrong slightly, you get a secondary screen. Oh yah, do that while driving without the physical d-pad.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions