Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Any of you here have jump from Treo Pro to the Touch Pro 2?
    Using it right now.

Am I jumping? Way too early to tell. It is certainly an impressive device. The size/footprint is exactly like the Treo Pro + Extended battery.

It's a very solid built device, great screen and quite zippy. The tilt screen is a nice touch and Opera actually allows "real" browsing.

The KB is quite huge and easy to type. It's odd to not have to hit NUM to type numbers.

(George Ponder and I will be both reviewing it, though from different perspectives--namely I'll be coming from a Treo Pro/front qwerty fan view.)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The most important question for me is whether it overheats if you look at it the wrong way, like the TP1.

I MIGHT have been able to live with the poor battery life issues on the TP1, but after any kind of heavy usage for even a moderate amount of time, it got hot and wouldn't even charge when plugged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The most important question for me is whether it overheats if you look at it the wrong way, like the TP1.

I MIGHT have been able to live with the poor battery life issues on the TP1, but after any kind of heavy usage for even a moderate amount of time, it got hot and wouldn't even charge when plugged in.
    So far, from what I've read and my experience with it: no overheating, or at least it's greatly reduced. I'm definitely keeping this in mind for the review.

Battery life seems pretty good so far. I haven't activated it, just been using WiFi--after 2 hrs, it dropped 1 bar.

Sucker is heavy! It's like the size of a Treo Pro + extended battery (lol), but slightly heavier. Excellent build quality--really feels elegant. Camera is pretty nice too.

I dunno. I wasn't keen on the TP1 much, but this...this feels kinda right. I'm not sure how it'll be for "everyday" stuff, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    There was no source, nor a story. I merely explained my experience here with Sprint CS (3 reps actually)--something that has happened with other customers as well.
    As it has happened with other WM devices. The reps will always try and upsell you. they are on spiffs if not quotas and commissions. Sprint dropped its commissions some time ago but there is clearly a spiffs system ( a reward of upselling) or some very aggressive training of pitching everything.
    As to everything else you scribbled, all I have to say is BGR was not the source for the Sept 3rd date, it was and will always be Phone Arena--they received and posted the internal document. :
    My response to your rant was about the two dates, which I explained clearly here before it was even shown to be a fact, as it tuned out my explanation was indeed shown to be correct.

The first date was the brightpoint date. Telesales has been using the brightpoint date for wm business devices. That is exactly what I predicted before it happened and exactly what happened.

I was explaining how the presence of two dates in the tech blogs did not mean they or their sources were mistaken -- and you know exactly what I was relating -- which makes your attack even more bizarre.
    Sigh... i guess it's too much to ask for the end to this back and forth between you two, eh?

Back to the TP2...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Malatesta, how much did you get the phone for?

I think this thing is big and heavy. Its like holding a mini netbook.

One thing I will need to get use to is there are no d-pad. Its all thumb scrolling like the iphone.

I barely try not to use too much fingerprint on my Treo Pro.

Treo Pro has been nice if all you want is peace and quiet. With HTC is always things happening here and there with things like cook ROM and custom configurations and hacking.

With this thing it can take SIM card, it doesnt matter anymore. It is a world phone.

Again, you can see HTC leaves Palm in the dust again.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    So far, from what I've read and my experience with it: no overheating, or at least it's greatly reduced. I'm definitely keeping this in mind for the review.

Battery life seems pretty good so far. I haven't activated it, just been using WiFi--after 2 hrs, it dropped 1 bar.

Sucker is heavy! It's like the size of a Treo Pro + extended battery (lol), but slightly heavier. Excellent build quality--really feels elegant. Camera is pretty nice too.

I dunno. I wasn't keen on the TP1 much, but this...this feels kinda right. I'm not sure how it'll be for "everyday" stuff, but we'll see.
    I didn't like my TP1 at all, as soon as I got my first replacement it was up in the Bargain Trader Forum @ PPCG. I will be getting a TP2, but it will be a netbook like device for me. I will be keeping my Treo Pro as my main phone/device.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Budney, you can do wifi on your Treo Pro. Then your TP2 can access it too.

So you use the TP2 for GPS program?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by budney View Post
    I didn't like my TP1 at all, as soon as I got my first replacement it was up in the Bargain Trader Forum @ PPCG. I will be getting a TP2, but it will be a netbook like device for me. I will be keeping my Treo Pro as my main phone/device.
    Not a bad plan. Treo Pro with regular battery is an excellent phone and the TP2 is very much like a mini-Netbook ().
    Malatesta, how much did you get the phone for?

I think this thing is big and heavy. Its like holding a mini netbook.

One thing I will need to get use to is there are no d-pad. Its all thumb scrolling like the iphone.

I barely try not to use too much fingerprint on my Treo Pro.

Treo Pro has been nice if all you want is peace and quiet. With HTC is always things happening here and there with things like cook ROM and custom configurations and hacking.

With this thing it can take SIM card, it doesnt matter anymore. It is a world phone.

Again, you can see HTC leaves Palm in the dust again.
    I paid way more than I should--basically $580. I may return it and see if eBay gets 'em cheaper. Being on SERO, I can't really bargain with them too much.

The no-Dpad is weird, yeah, as you use your thumb or index finger for everything. It's not bad, but not great either. I can type not too bad one-handed with their soft KB.

IMO, TouchFlo 3D2 (which is actually quite nice) is pretty much required now to interact with this device. It's too odd otherwise.

And yeah, as mentioned ealier--it's dang heavy. But it's heavy in that good/solid/quality way.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post

Not only does the Touch Pro 2 get hot, some are finding it performs (stock) WORSE than the Touch Pro! People are claiming the Touch Pro 2 "feels" faster than the Touch Pro, but people doing actual benchmarking are coming up with varied results.

Here are SPB Benchmark results of the Tmobile Touch Pro 2.

I think this post may have some old results from maybe a GSM Touch Pro 2.

The only benchmark results done on the Sprint Touch Pro 2 that I've found so far were those that were done with Sling Player and those results were nothing less than disappointing.

Only time my Touch Pro would get hot is in the car, but keeping the keyboard open while driving and since using some of the newer ROMs I have not encountered any recent heat problems. Been a long time since I used the old ice pack .
    Not a bad plan. Treo Pro with regular battery is an excellent phone and the TP2 is very much like a mini-Netbook ().
    That seemed a bit odd to me... lol

I paid way more than I should--basically $580. I may return it and see if eBay gets 'em cheaper. Being on SERO, I can't really bargain with them too much.

The no-Dpad is weird, yeah, as you use your thumb or index finger for everything. It's not bad, but not great either. I can type not too bad one-handed with their soft KB.

IMO, TouchFlo 3D2 (which is actually quite nice) is pretty much required now to interact with this device. It's too odd otherwise.

And yeah, as mentioned ealier--it's dang heavy. But it's heavy in that good/solid/quality way.
    Yea, 580 is a bit much for a phone... SERO or not... start to wonder how much are you really saving overall.

Then again, I'm still wondering if I should keep sero... I used 48 minutes on my 1250 plan last month... I could pay $3 extra a month and get 450 min and any phone I want. lol

Then again, might ask sprint if they are going to offer the tp2 on special anytime soon.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I did it today on Sprint website and I get no discount. I sign up for the 2 yr plan like 6 months ago, so its $600 to get this phone.

Wait a few months. Then buy it on fleabay. Treo Pro can still do the job actually.

I just hope Sprint doesnt pull the plug on SERO on this TP2.
    I did it today on Sprint website and I get no discount. I sign up for the 2 yr plan like 6 months ago, so its $600 to get this phone.

Wait a few months. Then buy it on fleabay. Treo Pro can still do the job actually.

I just hope Sprint doesnt pull the plug on SERO on this TP2.
    They won't pull the plug on sero... their phones either include sero, or they don't.

I was rather sure we would be able to get the pre with sero... embarrassingly sure... figured I'd have the pre now. Sprint messed that up, I'd got the pre and the tp2... now I wanted and I'll pickup the tp2 only. After handling the pre, I'm glad they prevented me from getting it (thanks sprint!).

I've been out of contract for over 6 months now, so I'll start to negitiate soon... I'm bound to get the phone for less than $350... I'd pull the trigger on $200/250... which would bring me to $250/300 after taxes and such.

If not, I might still get it or do something else...

I don't think ebay will be much cheaper... unless something is wrong with the phone... or you happen on a good deal. The touch pro is still over $200...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Not only does the Touch Pro 2 get hot, some are finding it performs (stock) WORSE than the Touch Pro! People are claiming the Touch Pro 2 "feels" faster than the Touch Pro, but people doing actual benchmarking are coming up with varied results.
    It's a mixed bag really, others including this person and this one don't have any heating issues.

Yes some people are reporting it stops charging when using GPS, but even the my Treo Pro would do that on a hot day. From my experience so far, it doesn't get warm in regular use. When charging, it warms by the base a bit, but nothing excessive.

Benchmarks are lame. The only thing that matters is how it feels when you use it. From that perspective, it feels fast enough and performs quite well--and that's coming from an 800w/Snap/Treo Pro experience. I suppose ALL WinMo devices could benefit from being faster, but when it comes to regular use, the TP2 feels quite nice in the performance area.

BTW, that same poster who reported the poor Sling player performance also found that installing GFXBoost basically fixes that problem, making it less interesting.

Bottom line is so far the consensus says that HTC got this right. There are no glaring bugs or performance issues that have been documented. Most of the sour grapes comes from TP1 users who can't drop another $600 for a much improved version of their < 1 year device.

Regardless, in comparison to a Treo Pro--well, it's a very different device. I'm not convinced most Treo Pro users would be happy with it.

I can sum it up like this: The TP2 is a much more comfortable ride, but slower to get there than a Treo Pro, which doesn't look as nice but gets the job done quickly.

Yep, though it does have its problems. Today I found that with Blueteeth call announcement enabled that it wants to announce the caller/caller information 3 times. I also found that there are times it does not wanna switch to the call screen, especially if the software keyboard is displayed. And the GPS lag with both Goodler and Bong is just plain horrible.
    Last edited by bclinger; 09/09/2009 at 03:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Budney, you can do wifi on your Treo Pro. Then your TP2 can access it too.

So you use the TP2 for GPS program?

Very well aware of the wifi, but I don't drive, and just about every where I go has free wifi. Plus wifi drains the battery quicker.

... and yes I am a bit odd.
    Huh, suddenly the TP2 seems less interesting today. Wonder why...

Don't know if I'll be keeping this very long and so much for getting a HTC Hero.

It's a mixed bag really, others including this person and this one don't have any heating issues.
    Having a Touch Pro, I know the heat issues has always been a matter of mixed reporting. The first person you cited simply talks on the phone, but for many who encountered heat issues with the Touch Pro it was not when just talking while charging. The 2nd person you cited does not know whether or not their device ever stopped charging. As I've said repeatedly, it's not matter of how the device "feels" regarding heat, but rather the internal temperature. This is why I once thought I was not having heat issues, when I actually was. That's why it's really best to use a utility such as nuePower/nueBattery. Heat issues are a long standing problem with HTC devices and the reports are only mixed because different people have varied device use patterns. But some of us have found how these devices get hot and I suspect someone like Skfny very likely would encounter issues if he's had it occurring before.

Benchmarks are lame. The only thing that matters is how it feels when you use it. From that perspective, it feels fast enough and performs quite well--and that's coming from an 800w/Snap/Treo Pro experience. I suppose ALL WinMo devices could benefit from being faster, but when it comes to regular use, the TP2 feels quite nice in the performance area.
    Yes, we've heard you before regarding how you feel about benchmarks. I continue to find value in them myself and so I guess this matter of me mentioning a benchmark and you feeling a need to jump up and claim they are lame will keep going.

BTW, that same poster who reported the poor Sling player performance also found that installing GFXBoost basically fixes that problem, making it less interesting.
    Yes better drivers help, which is why I noted (stock) in my earlier comment. The addition of GFXBoost brought the Touch Pro 2's Sling Player performance nearly on par with what Stevedusa said they witnessed with Silence ROM on the Touch Pro. But on the Touch Pro with Silence ROM they noted 25-30 FPS, but the Touch Pro 2 with GFXBoost is showing them just 25 FPS. Perhaps a ROM cook will find a means to boost the Touch Pro 2 a little more later, but at the moment the Touch Pro with Silence ROM is yielding them the best reported performance with Sling Player.

Bottom line is so far the consensus says that HTC got this right. There are no glaring bugs or performance issues that have been documented.
    2 FPS out the box using Sling Player is not a glaring performance issue? The long standing heat with HTC devices is not an issue? Matters such as video drivers and heat are issues you've raised yourself about the Touch Pro, so are they not issues given they reside in the Touch Pro 2 as well?

Most of the sour grapes comes from TP1 users who can't drop another $600 for a much improved version of their < 1 year device.
    How personal and how misinformed. I guess you've polled all Touch Pro owners who you feel have "sour grapes"? Myself and Touch Pro owners I correspond with privately have held onto our Touch Pros for reasons other than $600 .

I can sum it up like this: The TP2 is a much more comfortable ride, but slower to get there than a Treo Pro, which doesn't look as nice but gets the job done quickly.
    And the benchmark tests showed the CDMA Treo Pro is the performance winner. The Touch Pro 2 specs don't offer anything to indicate it would outperform the Treo Pro.
    Last edited by darnell; 09/09/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Touch Pro 2 specs don't offer anything to indicate it would outperform the Treo Pro.
    [edited by dieter]
    A Touch Pro 2, like a Touch Pro, Mogul and 6700, is always a bit clumsy to operate with WinMo. The Touch Pro 2's complete lack of buttons & d-pad forces the OS to be something it wasn't designed for: complete touch orientated. So HTC throws TF3D, which really helps but still feels like a Franken-OS.

That's what I mean by "getting the job done" more quickly on the Treo Pro. I can launch my email, calendar, tasks, etc. with 1-button; type faster.

It's not some superficial analysis by looking at specs alone, which tell you nothing on actual usage. (btw, I get a chuckle that you're now in a thread discussing the pro's and con's of two devices you don't have--talk about proxy debate!)

OTOH, due to the gorgeous 3.6" high res screen, the best KB yet on a WM slider and various sensors, excellent speaker phone/audio, solid build quality, the TP2 is much more fun to do things on as it is easier to read and use like a computer.

These two devices (Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2) have great strengths and great weaknesses, neither are perfect but both are solid performers in their own class.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/09/2009 at 01:17 PM.

[edited by dieter ]

[benchmarks] It does matter for me. And for what I use a device for it does press the performance at times and it just happens devices that benchmark better have worked better for me. I would have a Treo Pro if not for its smaller screen. I'm considering a Touch Pro 2, but really I'm still looking things over and have no need to rush. Especially when it has not even been unlocked yet. Like I told you back in the 800w days, I'll wait 30-90 days minimum before I buy any device. And yea, I'm really wanting something that really outperforms current lot of 528 MHz devices. Still might get the Touch Pro 2, but it really depends on how things look after it's unlocked. Only way I'll use WM 6.1 again is if I need to return my device for service .

[edited by dieter]
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast