Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I just had the most embarrassing time with my 800W. I am a long time palm owner, but this past week made me realize the junk they have been able to flood the market with. Here is what happened:

I was on a retreat in a remote (and I mean remote) area. Orkney Springs VA. Its a good 15 miles up a mountain, near Mt. Jackson. Noone had service. This was okay since no other carrier was working I was like hey, my phone will be a mp3 player for the week. So one night I see people talking on their iphones and I go, hmmm. It turns out the conference center has wi-fi. Praise the Lord, right? Well I fire up wifi and find I can only get maybe 1-2 bars while the iphone users had excellent wifi signal. So strong they were able to use skype and they talked like there was no tomorrow. So, I download skype and the quality was horrendous, the wifi card kept dropping. It was a horrible. Oh yeah, and the iphone they had to hit the skype app icon and it installed instantly, or course on the 800 I had to go to the website, do the download, anyways you know the drill.

Wednesday: A group went hiking and got lost. The rescue squad was called in because it was getting dark and the temp was dropping. Okay, one of the iphone guys whip out his phone and says "lets see if we see them on the mountain" I was amazed at how google earth zoomed into the mountain and they searched for them on thier phone! I could not believe the phone was capable of that. I stood in amazement. They demo'd for me and we were able to zoom in on the road we were standing on. I was blown away. I dare not try this on my 800 in public. lol

Just a sidenote, you would think once the phone realizes their is no service except wifi that email etc would automatically use the available connection. I kept getting " which connection" you want to use. lol Im like the phone part is turned off. I just thought this was stupid and could be more of a winmo thing.

Well, even the bb storm users performed better. I thought to myself, now I know what to look for in a phone. I wondered to myself, at a time when I literally only had my 800 to depend on, it let me down badly because it is inferior once you get beyond basic use. It seemed when the radio got stuck, I found myself pulling the battery out to reset too much. I will say that locally when Im home my phone runs great.

I do not want an iphone. I want the PRE to be everything they say it will be. I hope for great apps. I hope the hardware is excellent and that they do not cut corners in the name of getting a product out. Anyways, thats my story.
    Just hope the Pre has been thoroughly tested. This was the problem with the 800 to begin with. The Pre is a brand new OS so who knows how well it will perform.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    George919, if the Treo design and superior performance in the areas you mentioned are your main concern, get the Sprint Treo Pro.

Just read in the Treo Pro forum for yourself. Plenty of reports of better WiFi speeds, from former 800w owners. Graphics processing power and just raw power. And with stand alone GPS (which the Sprint Treo Pro has built in), you won't get lost. (Not that you were the person lost at that retreat, but you know what I mean. Assuming you've also installed a good application for things like hiking.) The Sprint Palm Pre will not have stand alone GPS.

And as VRGT mentioned, the Pre is a big unknown for many things. It will take time for it to have a strong base of applications. Will Skype even work on the Pre when it's first released?

Do IPhones have stand alone GPS?
    Last edited by darnell; 04/25/2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by george919 View Post
    So one night I see people talking on their iphones and I go, hmmm. It turns out the conference center has wi-fi. Praise the Lord, right? Well I fire up wifi and find I can only get maybe 1-2 bars while the iphone users had excellent wifi signal. So strong they were able to use skype and they talked like there was no tomorrow. So, I download skype and the quality was horrendous, the wifi card kept dropping. It was a horrible.
    Wifi is a tricky thing and varies from device to device. The Treo 800w actually gets quite good Wifi reception for a WM device but there are a lot of variables in play here. You might also want to try fRing which is better than the WM Skype client for performance.
    Oh yeah, and the iphone they had to hit the skype app icon and it installed instantly, or course on the 800 I had to go to the website, do the download, anyways you know the drill.
    This has nothing to do with the 800w. This is found on Garnet devices and all WM ones as well. Eventually MS will have an app store for users.
    Wednesday: A group went hiking and got lost. The rescue squad was called in because it was getting dark and the temp was dropping. Okay, one of the iphone guys whip out his phone and says "lets see if we see them on the mountain" I was amazed at how google earth zoomed into the mountain and they searched for them on thier phone!
    Either they were using Google Latitude (which you can use on the 800w and all WM phones) or they were joking with you. Google maps does not have "live" satellite views and those images are months old. Regardless, Google Maps (and the superior Live Search) both do the same thing on the iphone, difference being in screen size resolution.
    I could not believe the phone was capable of that. I stood in amazement. They demo'd for me and we were able to zoom in on the road we were standing on. I was blown away. I dare not try this on my 800 in public. lol
    Why not? Your phone does the exact same thing.

Just a sidenote, you would think once the phone realizes their is no service except wifi that email etc would automatically use the available connection. I kept getting " which connection" you want to use. lol Im like the phone part is turned off. I just thought this was stupid and could be more of a winmo thing.
    More of a settings thing for WM, not an 800w issue. I don't have this problem when using wifi.
    Well, even the bb storm users performed better. I thought to myself, now I know what to look for in a phone. I wondered to myself, at a time when I literally only had my 800 to depend on, it let me down badly because it is inferior once you get beyond basic use. It seemed when the radio got stuck, I found myself pulling the battery out to reset too much. I will say that locally when Im home my phone runs great.
    Sounds like you want a large screen media device, not a small screen messenger one. Treos have one main focus: phone/messaging. Playing videos, MP3s, geocaching or using extensively for mapping are secondary functions. Fact is, any WM device can do as much as the any other WM device, but some are designed better for specific functions.
    I do not want an iphone. I want the PRE to be everything they say it will be. I hope for great apps. I hope the hardware is excellent and that they do not cut corners in the name of getting a product out. Anyways, thats my story.
    Pre should be better than what is out there now. WM is very strong and powerful but is finicky and requires a more hands-on approach to get it to the way you want (hence the huge "custom rom" community who fix a lot things). iPhone is nice but has too many limitations (that Skype app? Can't use it over AT&Ts 3g network...you can only use it on Wifi--that won't be a limitation with the Pre).

Just sounds like you are ready to move to a more robust, large screen device than a more basic phone/messenger. You would have had the same experience with a Moto Q9c, Treo Pro, Blackjack II, Samsung Epix, etc. Those devices have a specific function that you seem to be moving beyond.

The Pre should be a nice choice.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/25/2009 at 11:46 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Right but in real usage is it not noticable. Numbers on a sheet are one thing, IRL is another. Use one and you'll notice this.
    The Sprint Palm Pre will not have stand alone GPS.
    That has not been confirmed yet. In fact in some of the demo videos they say it uses aGPS and can fall back to standalone. Still, until some firm information about the GPS system comes out, we cannot say what it can and cannot do.
    Do IPhones have stand alone GPS?
    Yes.
    Will Skype even work on the Pre when it's first released?
    You should be able to run iSkoot or other Skype apps through the emulator which has access to the internet. We'll have to wait and see though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I agree the 800w does the same thing, but it was the way the other guys had ease to do them. This is the first time I only had my phone to depend on and it just didn't come through for me. One good thing though as I hiked I found some spots where some service came through. I would not get bars, but would get connected to the sprint network and was able to text and get emails, but could not make a call. I thought this was interesting. Overall Sprint did well and once I headed down the mountain I talked all the way from VA to NC and never dropped a call. That was cool. I will be on the road more so I definitely want a more reliable device, I think Ill get the pro for now until the pre gets the kinks worked out. Thanks for the feedback.
    ...I think Ill get the pro for now until the pre gets the kinks worked out. Thanks for the feedback.
    Smart move.

The IPhone I forget is GSM so yea it has stand alone GPS. But the iPhone does not have all the GPS apps the Treo Pro has. And some GPS apps REQUIRE use of a MicroSD slot, the Palm Pre does not have a MicroSD slot.

And judging by some of the comments of Treo Pro owners who used to have 800ws, you may see a better than expected boost in battery life.
    If you knew how to use the features of your phone you wouldn't be having these problems, besides the stand alone GPS argument, I don't get your complaints.

If you would have typed ##EVDO# you could have controled what networks you got on.

Like others have said no system is gonna give you live GPS, and the fact that you thought it might shows us how tech savy you are.

What was your battery power like? Did you have the power save mode enabled on you wifi?

Learn how to use your phone since you obviously took the time to learn how to post complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    ...and the fact that you thought it might shows us how tech savy you are.
    Ease up on it a little. And really this shows an issue with some of our smart phones and why the IPhone has so many fans. Most consumers don't care to have to be so "tech savvy" just to use a device the way they desire. This has always been Apple's niche. They make things that work and know how to make it very user friendly.

If you make the greatest device in the world and it requires a considerable degree of "tech savvy" to use it, the device probably won't get many buyers. And even many who buy it will likely dump it because of it not being easy to use.
    Like the OP, I have high hopes for the Pre, but I think it's a bit premature to assume it will take care of your listed complaints, given that we don't know exactly what apps will be available or what the hardware is going to perform like.

I think it is fair to give Palm the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like everyone has selective memory and is assuming that the Pre quality (both hardware and software) will be so much better than their previous phones. Given how much they have at stake, I hope so...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    If you knew how to use the features of your phone you wouldn't be having these problems, besides the stand alone GPS argument, I don't get your complaints.

If you would have typed ##EVDO# you could have controled what networks you got on.

Like others have said no system is gonna give you live GPS, and the fact that you thought it might shows us how tech savy you are.

What was your battery power like? Did you have the power save mode enabled on you wifi?

Learn how to use your phone since you obviously took the time to learn how to post complaints.
    Where you get this? Did I say I expected a live GPS? Go back and read the post before you trash someone. My simple point is, the ease and integration and performance of the other phone. You don't have to agree, the 800w has not performed well in my opinion. side by side the iphone had excellent wireless connection to wifi and my 800 consistently had 2 maybe 1 bar with powersave off. I dont understand the attack because I told of my experience this past week. Oh well.
    ...I dont understand the attack because I told of my experience this past week. Oh well.
    George919, don't let the personal shots trouble you. There are some folks who really get bent out of shape when anyone is critical of the 800w. Your every word becomes points that a concerted effort is made to pick apart. Don't worry about any of it. See how things are in the Treo Pro form for yourself and I think if you try one you'll be a bit more satisfied.
    do you have a simply everything plan?

im praying they let me get the pre with my SERO plan....... but i doubt it
    Where you get this? Did I say I expected a live GPS? Go back and read the post before you trash someone. My simple point is, the ease and integration and performance of the other phone. You don't have to agree, the 800w has not performed well in my opinion. side by side the iphone had excellent wireless connection to wifi and my 800 consistently had 2 maybe 1 bar with powersave off. I dont understand the attack because I told of my experience this past week. Oh well.
    I'm disappointed with the 800w as well, but the way you worded the original post indicated that you were impressed when, "one of the iphone guys whip out his phone and says 'lets see if we see them on the mountain' I was amazed at how google earth zoomed into the mountain and they searched for them on thier phone! I could not believe the phone was capable of that. I stood in amazement."

This tells me that you believed that the guy could ACTUALLY search for a person using the maps program on his iphone. We already established that you weren't hiking or scouring the mountain while using the phone as a navigation device because you said nobody got service there.

This doesn't give anyone the right to attack you, but i feel like it does give an indicator as to the level of experience you have with the treo 800w. But you shouldn't have to be tech savvy or experienced in order to enjoy the features of a product: That's the nice thing about the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I'm disappointed with the 800w as well, but the way you worded the original post indicated that you were impressed when, "one of the iphone guys whip out his phone and says 'lets see if we see them on the mountain' I was amazed at how google earth zoomed into the mountain and they searched for them on thier phone! I could not believe the phone was capable of that. I stood in amazement."

This tells me that you believed that the guy could ACTUALLY search for a person using the maps program on his iphone. We already established that you weren't hiking or scouring the mountain while using the phone as a navigation device because you said nobody got service there.

This doesn't give anyone the right to attack you, but i feel like it does give an indicator as to the level of experience you have with the treo 800w. But you shouldn't have to be tech savvy or experienced in order to enjoy the features of a product: That's the nice thing about the iphone.
    If the OP really felt Google could show real time pictures it would indicate the level of experience in the area of sat picture tech as used by everyday US citizens. Not 800w experience at all. (See how nit-picky this can get.)

I think the OP simply was trying to convey that they wanted to see the area of the mountain rather than the actual people. CNN, FoxNews and others do this on TV all the time and it seems the folks using smart phones were simply trying to do the same. Just the wording may not have been the best, but it was taken overboard in efforts to attack the OP personally.

The OP turned powersave off and still had poor WiFi reception. What more could the most tech savvy of 800w owner have done to get better WiFi reception? (I do know of a WiFi G hack, but that may not have helped and would depend on if a very strong G WiFi signal were available.)
    I have to agree with the op about the 800w and wifi. My 800w had a devil of a time connecting to my router at home and did not work well once connected (if it connected). None of my other devices had any issues connecting to my router even 2 floors away. My Treo Pro connects just fine and has no issues.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Wheww, I feel better hearing from some of you guys, I was thinking of going to my corner and keeping my mouth shut. Yes, my wording was screwed up and I did not expect to see people walking on the mountain. I use google maps often and the guy and I discussed how the maps were a couple of days old. I thought it was kool the way the app was integrated with the phone. Anyways, now its time to check out the pro, thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I have to agree with the op about the 800w and wifi. My 800w had a devil of a time connecting to my router at home and did not work well once connected (if it connected). None of my other devices had any issues connecting to my router even 2 floors away. My Treo Pro connects just fine and has no issues.
    Wow, you're right... I actually thought the 800w had stronger wifi reception (based on the reported strength), but I guess I was wrong.

I just tested the 800w and the Pro side-by-side, walking away from my router, and the 800w started dropping the connection much sooner than the Treo Pro.
    I wonder if turning off Wifi power-save mode would increase reception?
    Stop taking posts so personal, its only the internet people.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast