1.    #1  
    I have been using my TPG for a few weeks now but still keep my trusty 650 on my hip because I just can't get actual work done as fast on my TP.

What I really need is a decent pop-up calculator like my beloved SnapCalc on PalmOS. From inside a pricing worksheet I can pop up the calculator and paste the results right into the cell I'm working on in just a few key-presses using my 650. The equivalent using my WinMo TP is cumbersome and ugly to boot - there just aren't any decent calculator apps for WinMo that I have found.

Surely I'm not the only one suffering from this am I?
    I looked early on, back when I was on my first WM device a couple of years ago and never found one. I really loved using SnapCalc on my Treos, as it just worked another one: SnapDates.
    If you are using excel then just type the sum instead of the answer

Otherwise HiCalc is a decent calculator app.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Looks decent, but for me is overkill. The advantage to SnapCalc is that it is there when needed, gone when not needed and of course, the ability to paste directly in to the current application. A very simple calculator for simple needs.
    calcnote by inesoft available at

CalcNote for Pocket PC on PocketGear.com
    more or less does it, but must be opened once and then resides in tray.
    Laissez Faire
    or perhaps just put the Calculator in the Start Menu and hit Windows+Shortcut key?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    calcnote by inesoft available at

CalcNote for Pocket PC on PocketGear.com
    more or less does it, but must be opened once and then resides in tray.
    I was so excited when I saw your response! I tried the palmgear version and the newer one directly from Inesoft. Unfortunately, neither works:

The latest version from Inesoft blows up on our screen resolution. The older version from palmgear works (pretty bad graphics), but it doesn't respond to the keyboard or the 5-way - you actually have to pull out the stylus to use it.

Thanks for finding it, but it isn't an improvement on the WM calculator.

Out of curiosity, how did you learn of it - I have googled my **** off trying to find something that will replace the default calculator and never ran across it.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I just used AE buttons and when I hold down the left 5way nav it brings up the calculator. Then when done close it and I am back where I started.

Hope this helps.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionNE View Post
    I just used AE buttons and when I hold down the left 5way nav it brings up the calculator. Then when done close it and I am back where I started.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, OrioNE. That is a good solution, but have you noticed the slow-down AEB imposes on the key-presses?

I assume you chose left-hold because that is the least frequently used action. I bound calculator to long-hold-up because that mimics the way I use SnapCalc on POS.

There is nearly a half second delay between pressing a normal "up" key-press and the reaction on screen. AEB just makes it feel sluggish if I am not calling the calculator app.

I really appreciate the suggestion, though. Perhaps I'll dork around with other button combinations using the WM button assignment applet. Meanwhile, I'll look over the AEB threads to see if there is some trick to reducing the latency.

(I just want my SnapCalc, dang-it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo View Post
    (I just want my SnapCalc, dang-it!)
    Well unfortunately there's nothing snappy about Winmo so you can't
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Again if you are using Excel why don't you just type the question instead of asking another app for the answer?

=(365/12)*4 for example
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    Again if you are using Excel why don't you just type the question instead of asking another app for the answer?

=(365/12)*4 for example
    Yes, well the series of calculations needed to come up with my spreadsheet input data is gathered during sales presentations. It requires recalculations and changes as the interview progresses.

If I was busy thinking about nested parens and mathematical rules of precedence while trying to type a formula I wouldn't be thinking about what the prospect needs - I would be less effective.

I realize that excel can do most of this for me, but I guess I'm just used to punching on a calculator under the table to come up with the input to my pricing spreadsheet. On my 650 I can do all of this blind and magically come up with financing numbers and payment options.

I really appreciate your suggestion. I'm sure I'll find a way around my problem, but it seems odd that there isn't a single decent simple calculator for winmo.