Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Turns out the Treo Pro does have hardware-accelerated video drivers. For some reason, I got it into my head that there was no 3D acceleration, probably by running the D3DMDemo.exe program from the 800w which I thought ran slow on the Treo Pro. But when I tried the lights.exe program I found over at xda, it reported:

Hardware Rasterization: True
    Hardware T&L: True
    Using Video Memory (rather than system memory)

The lights.exe demo is a spinning 3D cylinder and runs very fast and smooth, so I decided to rerun the D3DMDemo on the Pro and found it is actually faster than the 800w. I dug a little more and found a better demo, here are some screen shots of it running on my Pro:

Install the CAB attached at the end of this post if you want to see how fast the Pro is with 3D hardware acceleration. If you install it, make sure to try the following demos under Start->Programs->D3D Sample:
    Billboard
    Meshes
    Texture
    Lights

Some of the other demos don't seem quite right, it's probably an issue with the 320x320 resolution since these demos were pulled from an Omnia. If you are running RealVGA, the demos seem to run faster in 128DPI mode, but they look better in 96DPI.

Like the Diamond and the Touch Pro, the Treo Pro uses the ATI D3D driver, but unlike them, we don't have to install a bunch of ripped dlls or a custom ROM to enable it, it works right out of the box.

Before you get too excited, there aren't alot of programs that can take advantage of this currently, *especially* ones that support 320x320. However, the good news is that you can play Call of Duty 2 with full hardware acceleration! (if you're into that ). The speed is great, the graphics are sharp, and it is VERY playable, however there is a trick to getting it to load on the Treo Pro. By default, the COD2 installer will fail to detect 3D hardware and give you the software-3D version which doesn't work on the Treo Pro. However, if you use the hardware-accelerated binary (code2_goforce.exe, see here) it actually works!

I should mention that I have only tried this on a Sprint Treo Pro, not sure if it's the same on a GSM Treo Pro.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbop; 04/21/2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: uploaded wrong cab, fixed now.
    Looks interesting.

I just tried this on my GSM TP and it doesn't seem to work. I'm using the demo and installed as per xda-dev but I get an error whenever I try to open the fixed exe. "The file 'COD2..' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file."

How exactly did you install cod2? Did you have to delete libgles_cm.dll? On the gsm tp, libgles_cm.dll is neither found in the cod folder nor in the windows folder. Same for the sprint tp?
    Looks awesome.

Hey, is there stuff missing in that cab? All I see is the driver.
  4.    #4  
    Hey sorry guys, my bad... I uploaded the wrong CAB file, fixing it now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lecture3waves View Post
    Looks interesting.

I just tried this on my GSM TP and it doesn't seem to work. I'm using the demo and installed as per xda-dev but I get an error whenever I try to open the fixed exe. "The file 'COD2..' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring the file."

How exactly did you install cod2? Did you have to delete libgles_cm.dll? On the gsm tp, libgles_cm.dll is neither found in the cod folder nor in the windows folder. Same for the sprint tp?
    Sorry, I should have been clearer.

To use the full version of Call of Duty 2:
    1) first install COD2
    2) download cod2_goforce.zip from xda here
    3) unzip code2_goforce.exe and put it in your install folder
    4) Then run code2_goforce.exe instead of the original

To run the demo version:
    1) Download and install the COD demo from here
    2) download cod2_demo_goforce.zip from here
    3) unzip COD2_Demo_Goforce.exe and put it in your install folder
    4) Then run COD2_Demo_Goforce.exe instead of the original

You don't need the cod2_gles.zip file.

I'm not sure about the untrusted certificate errors, libgles_cm.dll is present under \Windows on the Sprint Treo Pro. If you are checking via File Explorer, it won't show up, you have to use a different program and make sure it shows all files rather than hiding the system dlls.
    Last edited by zbop; 04/22/2009 at 01:35 AM.
    Wow, now that's just plain fun. Played the COD 2 demo and it works pretty good. Awesome find zbop! The demos are very smooth. Very impressive.

Oh, I used the COD2_Demo_Geforce.exe with the demo btw.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Wow, now that's just plain fun. Played the COD 2 demo and it works pretty good. Awesome find zbop! The demos are very smooth. Very impressive.
    Wow, the demo worked for you? It loaded and then abruptly exited for me, hmmm.... Are you running RealVGA?
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Wow, the demo worked for you? It loaded and then abruptly exited for me, hmmm.... Are you running RealVGA?
    Nope, just plain jane 128 dpi.

I downloaded the demo from here.

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Ga...-2-35411.shtml
  9.    #9  
    Ok, I get it, you install the demo and then use the hardware-accelerated demo program. Doh!
    Wow, thats cool. I put the COD2 demo on my STP a few days back, but it was so pixelated I didn't even bother trying to move around or play it. Must have had the non-accelerated version.

Like the Diamond and the Touch Pro, the Treo Pro uses the ATI D3D driver, but unlike them, we don't have to install a bunch of ripped dlls or a custom ROM to enable it, it works right out of the box.
    The Sprint Treo Pro is the performance king of Sprint smart phones. And you've got graphics going good out of the box too . Perhaps this is why the Sprint Treo Pro's graphics index score is so insanely high?

I tried these on my Sprint HTC Touch Pro, that has MightyROM 4.16. (Still pondering if/when I'll move to MightyROM 5.) Billboard, Meshes and Texture ran smooth and appeared to perform well. Lights was spinning fast, but there were very noticeable blips in the graphics. In Lights, the corners of the cylinder were having small black out points.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Sprint Treo Pro is the performance king of Sprint smart phones. And you've got graphics going good out of the box too . Perhaps this is why the Sprint Treo Pro's graphics index score is so insanely high?

I tried these on my Sprint HTC Touch Pro, that has MightyROM 4.16. (Still pondering if/when I'll move to MightyROM 5.) Billboard, Meshes and Texture ran smooth and appeared to perform well. Lights was spinning fast, but there were very noticeable blips in the graphics. In Lights, the corners of the cylinder were having small black out points.
    I didn't see any black out, although I occasionally get some 3D tearing.

I'm not that into gaming on my phone, but yeah it's cool to know it works. I may try to get the OpenGL games working (Quake, Doom etc). I think we'll need to borrow some other DLLs that the Touch Pro guys are using and the biggest obstacle may be the oddball resolution 320x320.
    To run the demo version:
    1) Download and install the COD demo from here
    2) download cod2_demo_goforce.zip from here
    3) unzip COD2_Demo_Goforce.exe and put it in your install folder
    4) Then run COD2_Demo_Goforce.exe instead of the original

You don't need the cod2_gles.zip file.

I'm not sure about the untrusted certificate errors, libgles_cm.dll is present under \Windows on the Sprint Treo Pro. If you are checking via File Explorer, it won't show up, you have to use a different program and make sure it shows all files rather than hiding the system dlls.
    Thanks for the response. This is what I had tried but it gave me that error. I wonder if the gsm treo pro is missing 3d drivers. libgles_cm.dll is nowhere to be found on the gsm tp.
    I might try it tomorrow with my GTP
    (Gsm Treo Pro), and see if it will work for me.
    would TF3D work if this is the case...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
    would TF3D work if this is the case...
    I'd say (in theory) it's possible, assuming we have enough free memory to run it.
    The issue with getting TF3D on any 320 X 320 device is that nobody has taken the time to port the code for 320 X 320 resolution. The big TF3D hacks over at XDA Developers are doing work for devices with true VGA resolution screens (640480) and it is not something that works with RealVGA. Graphics processing power has never been an issue in regards to getting TF3D on a Treo Pro. Your issue is that nobody has even written a TF3D for Treo Pro code port. The issue is screen resolution.
  18.    #18  
    Agreed. In fact I loaded up the QVGA version of TF3D and it worked in 320x240.

Near as I can tell it is 3D functional, the weather animations worked. I could never even get this to load on an 800w, so it looks promising. Now if we can just get someone to take the time modding it for 320x320 and add whatever HTC apps are needed, it's there.
    Agreed. In fact I loaded up the QVGA version of TF3D and it worked in 320x240.
    Are you talking about TF2D, that some 800w folks have been able to get working on their devices?

And here's another thread about it.

TF2D is a nice option. I think it even has a Maps tab that nobody has been able to duplicate for TF3D. TF3D and TF2D were written two totally different ways, although they look similar in the outcome.
  20.    #20  
    Nope, I'm talking about TF3D, I'm pretty sure the animations are not in TF2D.

xda thread: Manila 3d porting - STILL IN DEVELOPMENT READ FIRST POST

CAB download: http://www.htcclassaction.org/download/TF3D-QVGA.cab
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast