Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has one tried using the Treo Pro for geocaching? I've got the geocaching app on my iPhone, but was wondering if there was something similiar available for the Windows Mobile platform that would work on the STP?

Oh, and if you're not familiar with geocaching, go to www.geocaching.com , it's easier than me trying to explain it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I tried using this last weekend. It works great except that the display gets mangled on the 320x320 sometimes covering over the target (not good).

Ideally, I would like something that has GPS features, allows for full paperless, and isn't too complicated to you. Something under $20 would be good, too. (BasicGPS is free.)
    I also use BasicGPS, the paid releqase in addition to my DeLorme PN-40. There are bunches of applications out there though. Cachemate is another paid release that bunches like.
    There are a ton of apps. A free very basic yet fast one with no background mapping is Outdoor GPS (german I believe but translated to english).
    There is also GPS Tuner which is not free and I've found it to crash easily but it has support for custom mapping and downloads from TerraServer for US and Google for everywhere. GPS Tuner is good for geocaching though I think.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    i get it
    I looked at GPS Tuner and since I have a full fledged GPSr and not a lot of free time, said wow and continued on. I like the mapping capability, but the steps involved require more time than I am willing to set aside.
  7.    #7  
    I have a Garmin Oregon 300 which I use when I'm out and about. The iPhone has a dedicated geocaching app from GroundSpeak. I was just curious if there was something similiar for the Windows Mobile platform, since I carry my STP more than I do the iPhone. The iPhone's GPS isn't too accurate compared to the Gramin, but it does allow you to download the cache data that you need to find one.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    I tried using this last weekend. It works great except that the display gets mangled on the 320x320 sometimes covering over the target (not good).

Ideally, I would like something that has GPS features, allows for full paperless, and isn't too complicated to you. Something under $20 would be good, too. (BasicGPS is free.)
    The Garmin Colorado and Oregon series are dedicated GPS units that are totally paperless. The main difference between the two is the Oregon series is a touch screen. I got the 300, which has a basic map download but not the topography one. It was about $100 cheaper than the the 400 which does have the topo maps. But I got the topo DVD (which has 10x as many waypoints that the 400) and loaded it on. The downside to all of this is that they are spendy devices, but if you're into geocaching, they really help. I'm going to try the BasicGPS, it looks like what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Efficasoft GPS Utilities works nicely
    I just downloaded it - most interesting on the maps. The 2 point references are nice. In areas though where a data connection is available, custom maps are not that important due to the ability to interface in many applications with Google Maps. I will give it a look though.
    Installed and it works; HOWEVER, a big however it is - I cannot load a map to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I also use BasicGPS, the paid releqase in addition to my DeLorme PN-40. There are bunches of applications out there though. Cachemate is another paid release that bunches like.
    Is everything mangled on your screen?
    Not at all - each of the applications behaves.
    Hmmm. Maybe "mangled" is a bit strong, but the display of BasicGPS on my Pro is off, like it wasn't designed for 320x320. I cannot find any settings to adjust. Did you have to change anything? Modify display? How?
    I'm looking for something that will interogate the www.geocacheing.com website and return a list of caches local to my current position, rather than having to enter the data in my mapping program before I leave home or trying to view geocaching.com on the move.

I understand that Geocache Navigator (www.geocachnavigator.com) does this but it's not available for Windows Mobile. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    It looks fine on my Touch Pro in the portrait mode. The developer told me when I initially got the software that he is aware of it running on several Touch pros. As for the 320X320, not sure - and I forgot about the resolution situation. The email address of the developer: John Phee <basicgpshelpme@googlemail.com>. I apologize for the resolution forgetting.

Hmmm. Maybe "mangled" is a bit strong, but the display of BasicGPS on my Pro is off, like it wasn't designed for 320x320. I cannot find any settings to adjust. Did you have to change anything? Modify display? How?
    BasicGPS has the feature you are typing of and I have used it without a hitch. It lists them by alphabetical order name or by distance from current location. As for entering data, if one has a Premium Membership at Geocaching.com, you can load the data en masse via the Pocket Query function. I have loaded a "few" more than 500 on to the card of my Touch Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by casebase View Post
    I'm looking for something that will interogate the www.geocacheing.com website and return a list of caches local to my current position, rather than having to enter the data in my mapping program before I leave home or trying to view geocaching.com on the move.

I understand that Geocache Navigator (www.geocachnavigator.com) does this but it's not available for Windows Mobile. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  18.    #18  
    According to their website, BasicGPS is only for 240x320 and 480x640 devices, so the 320x320 won't fit. I tried loading it, but it would run once and then not again. I've taken it off and am still looking.

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by casebase View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Geocaching is mostly a one way site. The easiest thing to do is to create a pocket query, which will do what you want. I believe it is only avaiable to members, but the cost is $30/year, and well worth it if you're into geocaching.

Cachemate is another alternative, though the interface is not the easiest to aclimate to. I have both Cachemate & BasicGPS - BasicGPS is used the most.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast