Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anyone tried this? GCz It looks awesome. Someone test it and let me know. My Pro hasn't arrived yet.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    GCz grabs information directly from the Geocaching.com website in real time and also displays the icons that Geocaching.com is so famous for protecting from use by developers. Another way of describing it is that the application is a wrapper for the web site - a fancy browser.
    I had a Colorado 400T and from it went to a DeLorem PN-40. All 3 provide paperless geocaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The Garmin Colorado and Oregon series are dedicated GPS units that are totally paperless. The main difference between the two is the Oregon series is a touch screen. I got the 300, which has a basic map download but not the topography one. It was about $100 cheaper than the the 400 which does have the topo maps. But I got the topo DVD (which has 10x as many waypoints that the 400) and loaded it on. The downside to all of this is that they are spendy devices, but if you're into geocaching, they really help. I'm going to try the BasicGPS, it looks like what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    GCz grabs information directly from the Geocaching.com website in real time and also displays the icons that Geocaching.com is so famous for protecting from use by developers. Another way of describing it is that the application is a wrapper for the web site - a fancy browser.
    Works for me..
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    GCz works great! Very useful.
    Yes it does, but one is dependent on the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    BasicGPS has the feature you are typing of and I have used it without a hitch. It lists them by alphabetical order name or by distance from current location. As for entering data, if one has a Premium Membership at Geocaching.com, you can load the data en masse via the Pocket Query function. I have loaded a "few" more than 500 on to the card of my Touch Pro.
    I have to give this pitch to BasicGPS - it was literally a life saver for me. My wife and I were hiking in Colorado and I wanted to use my TP as a GPS. (The old handheld Garmin I have is a royal pain to carry, read, etc.). We hike prepared - with compass, topo map, etc.

This particular hike was challenging - a climb to a lake at 12,500' through standing snow. When we left the treeline we looked back and sited the trail blaze. We went to the lake (froze our buns off it was so cold on top of the mountain), had lunch, and then headed down. We found the blaze and started following the trail. After a while we realized this was a different trail. We pulled out the topo, checked the coordinates for where we needed to be, plotted a course and used the compass to find the proper trail.

After another while longer we realized that we weren't going to find that poorly marked trail. With the clouds forming and thunder starting, we figured we needed to get back to the car. I'd taken the GPS coordinates before we left, so I pulled them up, figured the heading we needed to take and we headed off. It was a 5 mile hike, we had about 3 more to get to the car. BasicGPS performed great - we ended up going "cross country" which is not the easiest way to hike. But we got to the car (actually after coming across the carcass of a dear killed by a mountain lion, but that's another story).

Bottom line - I'd never take the program off and do highly recommend it!
    What kind of battery life are you experiencing while Geocaching?
    Quote Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
    What kind of battery life are you experiencing while Geocaching?
    For me, it flat sucked down the battery power.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12