Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone aware of any good GPS software that can be used with the Pro? Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Darnell did a comparison here: Sprint Navigation 2.1.10 vs Telenav 5.1.16 vs Garmin Mobile XT 5.00.20wp on the TP - PPCGeeks

    I am using TeleNav and I am happy with it, but there are others than come with Preloaded maps.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  3. #3  
    Depending on how much you're into golf, Garmin makes a dedicate GPS for golf called the Approach G5.

    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=261&pID=31070

    It's spendy which is why I say you would really, really need to be into golf to justify it (and then again, maybe not). I'm not advocating for Garmin, I just got one of their Oregon 300s for Geocaching, and am impressed with their design and quality.

    Oh, BTW, the Forerunner comes preloaded with US golf courses already on it, and you get free updates.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Depending on how much you're into golf, Garmin makes a dedicate GPS for golf called the Approach G5.

    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=261&pID=31070

    It's spendy which is why I say you would really, really need to be into golf to justify it (and then again, maybe not). I'm not advocating for Garmin, I just got one of their Oregon 300s for Geocaching, and am impressed with their design and quality.

    Oh, BTW, the Forerunner comes preloaded with US golf courses already on it, and you get free updates.

    Or you could get a uPro - IMO it's the best golf GPS device out right now.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
  5. #5  
    I've been testing iGolf GPS V3. It works ok, but the battery won't last the entire 18 holes because you have to leave the unit on all the time. Otherwise it has to re-acquire the gps lock and that could take several minutes.

    I never used the other type of stand alone gps device, but I think it's on par with other igolf device. I can't see how it could be different when they are all reading from the same set of golf maps.
  6. peridoc's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have used Intelligolf for many years with Palm OS devices and when I switched over to WM and my Treo Pro it came with me just fine. Quality product for many years. I am not sure what type of GPS golf software you want, but for a scorecard and GPS distance application it works great for me!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Or you could get a uPro - IMO it's the best golf GPS device out right now.
    What does the uPro run? The Garmin is $499 list, about $100 less on Amazon. But it does have maps preloaded on it, with free updates. It looks like the Oregon 400 but with a custom golf package on it.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What does the uPro run? The Garmin is $499 list, about $100 less on Amazon. But it does have maps preloaded on it, with free updates. It looks like the Oregon 400 but with a custom golf package on it.

    Under $400 from official dealers on eBay. No annual fees and free basic mode course downloads. Basic mode gives you front, middle, back to every green and distance to/clear every hazard between you and the green - it also has a handy shot measuring feature. Pro Mode downloads run around $3 per course. Pro Mode gives you the actual map of the hole with every distance you could want, along with a "flyover" at the beginning of each hole (can be shut off). Pro Mode also has "Anypoint" which allows you to get a distance to any point on the hole from wherever you are using a cursor.

    I love mine - it's a great device.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
  9. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #9  
    Here you go: FreeCaddie - The Free Golf GPS Rangefinder

    And it's FREE!

    Gives you Front, Middle and Back of the green distances and measures the distances of your shots. Works great!

    You can upgrade to the Pro version for $24.95 and add distances to hazards & bunkers, get scoring and statistics, remote course downloading and on course editing.

    I'm trying out the free version right now and it really works.

    P.S. It's 9248 yards to the center of #1 at my local course from my office chair.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Here you go:
    And it's FREE!

    Gives you Front, Middle and Back of the green distances and measures the distances of your shots. Works great!

    You can upgrade to the Pro version for $24.95 and add distances to hazards & bunkers, get scoring and statistics, remote course downloading and on course editing.

    I'm trying out the free version right now and it really works.

    P.S. It's 9248 yards to the center of #1 at my local course from my office chair.
    Thanks...this is what I've been looking for.
  11. #11  
    I will second Freecaddie... wonderful program.
  12. #12  
    I just installed FreeCaddie and a few of the local courses, Gonna give it a test drive this afternoon.
    Anyone tried out the pro version of FreeCaddie yet, Just wondering if it was worth the coinage.
    A friend of mine has GreenfinderGPS installed on his blackberry, Works really well, It isn't available for windows mobile yet though.
  13. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #13  
    P.S.

    It is VERY easy to create a course if the one you want is not available. You can do right on the FreeCaddie site.

    I did two local courses yesterday in no time. You simply pull up the course on google maps (right on the FreeCaddie site) and then zoom in as close as you can. Then simply go through each hole marking the greens (Front, Center & Back) if you want you can also mark all of the hazards, they start of the fairway, the end of the fairway and any doglegs.

    Very, very cool and should be extremely accurate.
  14. #14  
    Well I have tried out FreeCaddie on two different courses so far, As far as giving distances it works very well, My only complaint was that the auto advance feature did not work, So I had to manually advance to the next hole after finishing a hole, Was this an issue for anyone else using the program? If it is just a glitch with mine, I will reinstall the software.
  15. #15  
    Current Device: Treo Pro

    Devices: Palm m100 -> Palm m505 -> Toshiba E330 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p ->Treo 700wx -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch Pro
  16. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott559 View Post
    Well I have tried out FreeCaddie on two different courses so far, As far as giving distances it works very well, My only complaint was that the auto advance feature did not work, So I had to manually advance to the next hole after finishing a hole, Was this an issue for anyone else using the program? If it is just a glitch with mine, I will reinstall the software.

    Don't know yet....my league does not start for another two weeks or so.
  17. #17  
    mine crashed when i run it - what am i doing wrong?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    P.S.

    It is VERY easy to create a course if the one you want is not available. You can do right on the FreeCaddie site.

    I did two local courses yesterday in no time. You simply pull up the course on google maps (right on the FreeCaddie site) and then zoom in as close as you can. Then simply go through each hole marking the greens (Front, Center & Back) if you want you can also mark all of the hazards, they start of the fairway, the end of the fairway and any doglegs.

    Very, very cool and should be extremely accurate.
    It really is a very nice feature, I did one of our local courses last night and it really gives you some nice options as far as how detailed you want to map the course out. And as you said it really doesn't take much time and it uploads the course instantly to their data base as soon as you submit it.
  19. Astropin's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #19  
    I finally got a chance to test this out (I missed the first week of league). It worked really well and saved me from using the wrong club more than once.

    I think it's easily worth the $25 to get all of the features. What a great app.

Posting Permissions