Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    I have had a bunch of problems with my 800w.
    If Sprint offers me a Pro, is there any reason not to take it?
    Last edited by isaacl; 04/19/2009 at 04:02 PM.
    There are so many threads on this all ready. A few say no, bunches say yes. I would personally say yes. I went through 3 800w devices and after that, off to another phone I went.
    Was in the same situation. Am SO much happier w/ the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    Should I get a replacement Pro for my 8000w?
    Yes to the PRO

But if I had an 8000w, I'd hang on to it- sounds 10 times as awesome as the 800 you're thinking of dumping!!!!!
    ^
    I totally missed that.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    How about the keyboard?
    Is that going to be a big adjustment?
    How about the keyboard?
    Is that going to be a big adjustment?
    Coming from a 755P and Centro (I am assuming the 755 is similar to the 800) I don't think it will be too bad. Any new style keyboard, regardless who the manufacturer is, is going to require some adjustment by the user until he gets it down. the Pros keyboard is the perfect size for me, and the key sizes themselves are acceptable. A little small, but not hateful.. MUCH better than the Centro. My only complaint with the Pro's keyboard is that when you push a key in, there is a longer than usual travel, and a very squishy feeling spring (almost no spring at all). It takes some getting used to, actually pushing the key in all the way so it registers, and getting used to the keyboard. Because of the long travel and squishy spring feel (not the keys, they are actually hard, not like the centro), there isn't a lot of tactile feedback from the keyboard. I think that is what you have to get used to the most, the lack of feedback. Think of it from going from a real good quality laptop keyboard, with stiff springs, short travel, and fast resets, to a CHEAP keyboard that comes boxed with a super cheap computer. You know the ones... real long key pushes, no "click" when the key is pressed, real squishy almost un-aimed feel.

I think I like the way the 755 FELT when in use better, but I like the Pro's keys and size better. I do miss having the : on the keyboard and not as a softkey in a menu though.

Without question, it blows the Centro keyboard out of the water, but I think that goes without saying..
    Now that the Pre is coming, I keep wondering if I should go with the Treo Pro or the Pre. But I think that the Pre can't be used with the SERO plan (just speculation, b/c that's just like what a phone company would do).

My 800w has soooooooo many bugs, it's unbelievable. Missed calls, hangs, comes on randomly, freezes, etc. I took it to Sprint but those dufuses just say "oh well" nothing looks wrong or take it to Palm. They of course say nothing is identifiably wrong.
    I have had a bunch of problems with my 800w.
    If Sprint offers me a Pro, is there any reason not to take it?
    If it is an outright offer give you a Pro such as I got, with no extension of either contract or extension or discount period then it is a no brainier.

I think even the minority who did not go to Pro here were making most of their case on cost, not on any allegation of equivalence. On battery life alone ( a universal complaint on the 800w), people are seeing anywhere from 25% increase to double the battery life.

So if there is no out of pocket cost or opportunity cost (using your discount early), you should definably go with Pro.

If you want to go for a Pre later the Pro will even have slightly better resale value.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Now that the Pre is coming, I keep wondering if I should go with the Treo Pro or the Pre. But I think that the Pre can't be used with the SERO plan (just speculation, b/c that's just like what a phone company would do).

My 800w has soooooooo many bugs, it's unbelievable. Missed calls, hangs, comes on randomly, freezes, etc. I took it to Sprint but those dufuses just say "oh well" nothing looks wrong or take it to Palm. They of course say nothing is identifiably wrong.

I'm on the SERO plan also and I was going to hold off for the Pre, but I heard similar rumors about the SERO plan not working with it. I would actually be quite surprised if they do allow it. They don't even allow the Instinct on the SERO plan which I don't understand. Anyways, I purchased a Pro. If when the Pre comes out we are allowed to use it with the SERO plan then I'll just sell my Pro on ebay as being only a couple months old and should get a decent amount of what I paid for it back. Like you, my current phone (Mogul), is driving me insane and I just couldn't wait any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    I'm on the SERO plan also and I was going to hold off for the Pre, but I heard similar rumors about the SERO plan not working with it. I would actually be quite surprised if they do allow it. They don't even allow the Instinct on the SERO plan which I don't understand. Anyways, I purchased a Pro. If when the Pre comes out we are allowed to use it with the SERO plan then I'll just sell my Pro on ebay as being only a couple months old and should get a decent amount of what I paid for it back. Like you, my current phone (Mogul), is driving me insane and I just couldn't wait any longer.
    There was the same speculation about this when the Pro was announced. I can't see why Sprint wouldn't allow you to keep the SERO plan with a Pre. They allowed me to keep mine with the Pro that I just got. There was never an issue with it. The only thing I have on the Pro that I haven't been able to use is Sprint Navigation, because I won't use it that much and don't want to pay $9.99 a month for it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    All of us would take the Pro over the 800 if offered in a heartbeat. Well I could name a handful who would actually take the 800 instead (not kidding, they may even chime in this thread). I have an 800 (typing this from it) and if I was offered the Pro, I think the rep would actually slap me if I declined. My luck would be getting a refurbed 800 as a replacement and being stuck with it forever.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    There was the same speculation about this when the Pro was announced. I can't see why Sprint wouldn't allow you to keep the SERO plan with a Pre. They allowed me to keep mine with the Pro that I just got. There was never an issue with it.
    Not speculation but what every spinrt employee and insiders has been saying on all the forums for some time: no PRe on SERO.

On top of that the very purpose oft he Pre is to move peopel to higher plans, it isn't the purpose of the Pro

The Pre was the only phone announced in exactly the same way as the Instinct*, using the same launch method and with Hesse using all the same terminology, meaning before the sprint people started confirming it it, was always the most likely to follow the Instinct path when it comes to SERO.

Nothing is for certain but the Pro would not have been forbidden on SERO since the 800w and Touch pro and Treo Pro were never mentioned by Sprint in the same way wiht plan restrictions as the Instinct, and the Pre was and has been consistently
    From the Inside Sprint Now website:

And for the most frequently asked question of the dayÖ

What about my SERO plan? Ė Youíll have to switch to the EPRP program if you want the Palm Pre. I know you donít want to hear that, but thatís the way it is, and I canít see it changing considering the push behind it.

Not sure of it's accuraccy, but it's out there for everyone to read and interpret as they will. It's under the Palm Pre Monthly Service Plans section. It seems that their single user Simply Everything plan of 450 minutes/$69.99 is the same as I'm paying for an iPhone (except I do get a corporate discount from my employer). Same number of minutes and data, except unlimited texting with the iPhone is an additional $20/month.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I would be curious to know how many SERO users are out there and what % of Sprint's customers they are. A fair guess might be to double or triple the # of employees that Sprint has. That's probably a small percentage of 36 million customers. Let's say it's 1 million, even. It's < 3%. I'm not a business guy, but losing 3% of your customers may be an absorbable loss if the Pre increases your profits by 3%. Common sense would dictate that Sprint is not losing money on SERO customers. If so, why would they have offered the plan in the first place, to have a larger customer base and be able to inflate the stock prices indirectly by reporting an increase in subscribers? Maybe I'm too naive and that's how big businesses roll.

I think that it is clear that any "cool" phone going forward will require a $69 plan monthly. An interesting thing might be to allow SERO on "old" devices, like maybe after the new replacement has come out, like to now allow the Instinct to be on SERO but not the Instinct II.

I feel very confident that the Pre is going to do very little damage to the iPhone if the cost is the same. Who on earth, including me, would choose the Pre over the iphone if the monthly cost was the same? Smaller screen, thicker, doesn't have the cool factor, less apps right now, etc. It does have a keyboard, but I'm not sure if that will trump all those other negatives. I just have a hard, hard, hard, hard, hard time believing that the Pre's UI will beat the iphone's UI to the extent that it draws people away from the iPhone towards the Pre. I believe it will be as good, and maybe even a bit better, but not enough to tilt the scales towards the Pre if monthly price is th same. While the Pre may very well be the iphone's equal as a phone, pda, and entertainment device, that has very, very little to do with financial success. There are tons of great ideas that never achieve commercial success. Mark my words, the monthly Pre plan needs to be priced significantly less than the iphone to make a dent. Has the sidekick made a dent? Has the instinct made a dent? Aren't blackberries losing market share? I would say that the Pre must have a monthly plan of $40-$45 in order to lure on-the-fence customers away from the iphone and towards the Pre. At the very least the Pre should be "buyable" with just a voice plan for $39.99. At least then you can say "starts at $39.99" instead of from $69.99 or whatever it is.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 04/28/2009 at 05:02 PM.
    If it were to come down to getting a Pre and keeping my iPhone, at this point in time I'd have to keep the iPhone. Not dissing the Pre, but it is a totally new technology with the OS on it, as well as the hardware. The only downside I see with the iPhone proper is the lack of a tactile feel keyboard. It will be interesting to see the variety and type of apps that are developed for the Pre. Apple has set a pretty high benchmark with both their app store and the marketing they are putting behind it.