1.    #1  
    I'm considering getting a Treo 800w (or possibly a Treo Pro) on ebay so I can have access to webcaptel to get captions during phone calls. I only need access to wifi, nothing else. If I buy an unactivated phone will I be able to use wifi (in a hotspot) without activating the phone and paying $$$ per month?

Thanks
    Susanna777
    Yes you can use the wifi on an unactivated phone. Without a cell plan the treo is nothing more than a PDA with a wifi card, bluetooth and mp3 capability.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! That sounds like what I'm looking for.

By the way I also plan to use skype to make phone calls. Skype works on the treo, right?
    It does, but you have to use the speaker - no private Skype calls.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. That might not be a problem. I usually go off by myself to make a phone call. What about a headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Yes you can use the wifi on an unactivated phone. Without a cell plan the treo is nothing more than a PDA with a wifi card, bluetooth and mp3 capability.
    This is giving me certain ideas about the Pre, which will hopefully also behave the same way.
  7.    #7  
    I just looked the Palm Pre up and I think the Linux based OS would be awesome. I use Linux as my primary OS on my computer, but sadly, I'm afraid I have to go with Windows Mobile as webcaptel to go only works with Windows Mobile and Apple Safari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanna777 View Post
    I just looked the Palm Pre up and I think the Linux based OS would be awesome. I use Linux as my primary OS on my computer, but sadly, I'm afraid I have to go with Windows Mobile as webcaptel to go only works with Windows Mobile and Apple Safari.
    The Pre's browser works off of WebKit, the same thing as the iPhone's browser, so it could conceivably work, but without it being out, you don't know yet.
    Thanks. That might not be a problem. I usually go off by myself to make a phone call. What about a headset?
    If you do Skype on the 800w, invest like $15 and get this USB adapter setup. Then you can connect any USB Skype headset directly to your phone:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ter-works.html

Or read my article here:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/treo-800w-usb-host-port-works

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the link! That's one of the reasons I'm considering a treo pro as it has a 3.5mm jack. I guess it would depend. Your post said the audio on the treo 800w is a lot better with the adapter, so do you know if it's better than the audio on the treo pro?

The treo 800w doesn't look glossy, while the pro looks like a fingerprint magnet and I hate that.

I think I would mostly use this to listen to music, as the treo can also be used a mp3 player if I understand it right.
    Your post said the audio on the treo 800w is a lot better with the adapter, so do you know if it's better than the audio on the treo pro?
    That's real tough to call. I'd say they're comparable when you use the 800w adapter.
    The treo 800w doesn't look glossy, while the pro looks like a fingerprint magnet and I hate that.
    Indeed, it is annoying with the Pro. Do it like old ladies and furniture--wrapping it in a plastic film, is one option, getting a Seidio shell is another
    I think I would mostly use this to listen to music, as the treo can also be used a mp3 player if I understand it right.
    Well, a 3.5mm would probably be more conveient than the USB/adapter solution if music is your #1 priority. Choosing between the 2 devices comes down to gripes vs. personal preferances. For some, it's an easy choice, for others (like myself) it's grey as I see strengths and weakness with either.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12.    #12  
    The only reason I care for the 3.5 jack is for music. I wouldn't use it for making wifi calls. But it's not a big deal to have an adapter. Isn't there a mini usb to 3.5 jack adapter without needing the regular usb?
    I'm considering getting a Treo 800w (or possibly a Treo Pro) on ebay so I can have access to webcaptel to get captions during phone calls. I only need access to wifi, nothing else. If I buy an unactivated phone will I be able to use wifi (in a hotspot) without activating the phone and paying $$$ per month?

Thanks
    Susanna777
    Hi Susanna777, if you are still in the market for a new Treo, there is a listing on ebay for Brand New 800w which can't be activated through Sprint for under $105 free shipping. Or the Pro for about $240 with clean ESN. Seller still has plenty. Just thought i'd let you know.

Thanks,
    Migdon01