Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. IsYet's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've noticed an intermittent problem with my 800w.
    From time to time, I see these symptoms:

    - Services.exe grabs all the CPU it can get. Typically 90-95%.
    The only time it lowers is if some other process does something.
    As soon as that process finishes, Services.exe shoots up again.
    I can listen to Kinoma ok so it appears to be releasing when it has to

    - Alerts don't work.

    - Scheduled jobs (Sprite backup) don't fire.

    - Alerts do eventually run (24 hours late) but I can't Dismiss them.

    I first noticed this last December. It's probably happened a dozen or so times since.

    At 1st, I thought it was some 3rd party software causing the problem.
    I run a couple Natara beta products (Bonsai and DayNotez), a Diet app, HandyShopper, etc.
    But it seems to occur when none of these apps are running and even after uninstalling some of them.

    I've hard-reset and restored and the problem picks back up just where it left off.
    It runs fine after the hard reset but starts immediately after the restore.

    I increased the notification queue rebuild timeout after the last episode but the problem happened again today (Friday 4/17).

    Thanks.

    Last week, I just let it run. After about 12-14 hours, it finally released.
    Last edited by IsYet; 04/17/2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add notification queue info
  2. #2  
    M8 if you did a hardrest and then it ran fine till you did your restore, then it is definitely an app or registry edit you've made. I'm leaning more to it's an app. When you hardreset it returns your 800 back to factory fresh settings. Then when you restore from your backup you just reinstall the issue. Here's what you do. Hardrest, only restore your contacts. Then load in one app at a time. Use it for abit(maybe like a day) Then load in the next app, and so on. When the problem shows up again you've found the problem app. The alarm and issues your having, that's a known WM thing. Do a search of the forums, you'll see. The Sprite backup, I've used Sprite Backup sence I got my 800 and it's pretty much been flawless. Sounds like just maybe one of those "beta" apps is just not agreeing with your 800.
  3. IsYet's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

    Multiple times over the past few months, I've hard-reset and installed my apps one at a time, run them for a while, and then proceed to the next app.

    The problem with this technique is that the problem is intermittent. It will run for weeks with no issues, and no new installs, and then start up again.


    I'm curious about why it starts up after a reset.

    Wonder what could be running at startup that takes over Services.exe?

    I still think it's related to the process scheduler.
    The issues with Reminders and Sprite not running always coincide with the Services.exe.
    I just don't know if that's a symptom (they can't get enough CPU to run) or a cause.

    I've seen some posts here about alerts (that's where I found the registry hack) and will dig back through them.

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by IsYet; 04/18/2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Add text
  4. IsYet's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
       #4  
    I just came up with the brilliant idea of restoring from my last good backup. (duh).
    Sprite stops working when the problem kicks in. So the last Sprite backup should be when the device is in a good, working state.

    Previously, I had been backing up just before the hard-reset and restoring from that. That backup was when the device was acting up.

    That backup was from 4/15. The restore went well and Services.exe is behaving and Reminders are working.

    This will be a good workaround and will let me continue to operate while monitoring activities for cause and effect.
    Last edited by IsYet; 04/18/2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Clarify
    6.5.1 on STP < Treo Pro < Treo 800w < Treo 700p < Tungsten T5 < Tungsten T3 < Palm Vx < Palm IIIx < Pilot 1000
    Windows 7
  5. IsYet's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
       #5  
    Resolved - Hardware issue
    The device started locking up while running delivered apps after a hard-reset.

    Eventually got to the point where it stopped on the Palm screen while booting.

    Bought a Treo Pro.
    Will get the replacement 800w today or tomorrow.

    I like the Pro quite a bit so far. Will probably stick with it.
    6.5.1 on STP < Treo Pro < Treo 800w < Treo 700p < Tungsten T5 < Tungsten T3 < Palm Vx < Palm IIIx < Pilot 1000
    Windows 7

Posting Permissions