1.    #1  
    I thought some of you would want to check this out. An unlocked Treo Pro from Dell for $270.

Dell : PALM Treo Pro Unlocked Smartphone : Wireless Phones : Small & Medium Business
    Last edited by wildrage; 04/16/2009 at 09:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Anyone can confirm it will work on T-mobile prepaid plan?

I'll just use it for txt msg and phone call.

I'll just turn my Sprint Pro using wmwifirouter so that my Pro GSM can use it whenever I need it.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Anyone can confirm it will work on T-mobile prepaid plan?

I'll just use it for txt msg and phone call.

I'll just turn my Sprint Pro using wmwifirouter so that my Pro GSM can use it whenever I need it.
    It'll work - it's unlocked quad-band GSM. No 3G as T-Mobile doesn't use the 850/1900 bands for 3G but it will work fine for GSM.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
  4.    #4  
    It goes to show you how marked up the MSRP is with carriers. How much are you actually saving by signing a 2 years contract?...not a whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    It goes to show you how marked up the MSRP is with carriers. How much are you actually saving by signing a 2 years contract?...not a whole lot.
    The phone has also been out for a while now so a price drop is to be expected. Dell and Amazon have been as low as $349 on the Treo Pro recently with coupon codes. Amazon had it as a Gold Box special for that price. Obviously the carrier MSRP's are a joke and wildly inflated.

This should put a crimp in the Best Buy Mobile "special" of $249.99 with a 2-year contract on AT&T.
  6.    #6  
    I agree...although at that price, I don't expect them to be in stock for too long.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Agree. This goes to show that the carriers had really super inflated their prices.

I would advice if you dont have a good plan like the SERO, dont get it. Just buy it from ebay. Do a search on seller background first.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I see a ton of posts on buying unlocked phones.......why?

Are there really that many of you who are constantly traveling overseas?

Are there other reasons to purchase an unlocked phone?

I mean $270 is a decent price on this phone.....but I got mine locked for $99.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post

Well...if you want a GSM Treo Pro in the US, your only choice has been an unlocked version as neither AT&T nor T-Mobile has picked it up as a subsidized, carrier-branded device.

"Unlocked" isn't just for traveling overseas or swapping SIMs. An unlocked, unbranded device is usually free of bloatware, plus some people like to get new phones without signing a new contract.
  10.    #10  
    The advantage is that you don't have to sign a contract.

Also, this only applied to GSM phones for these purposes. All GSM Treo Pros are unlocked.
    ...Are there other reasons to purchase an unlocked phone?
    Wife and I like to travel to Europe every couple of years.

My contract with T-mobile is month to month.

There use to be a lot more GSM providers, but AT&T and other carriers have bought them up: GSM Coverage Maps | United States

CDMA is still better for coverage in the US. Seven years ago, GSM coverage was not real good in the US. I had AT&T back then and I would get roaming in downtown Chicago, back then. Today GSM coverage is pretty good, but CDMA is better.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Markups are probably in the range of 100% or more. It is hard to tell because they are sold as part of a guaranteed large buy.

The actual subsidy on carrier handsets is estimated to average $14!

1) (much) higher resale
    2) it is not a question of "constantly traveling overseas" as you can save the difference on a single one or two week trip.
    3) swithcing carriers within the US
    Looks like it is $359 now.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Yep, $359. I was going to buy this morning but decided to wait until later... Question: can you get a sprint treo pro and use it with AT&T?
    No you cannot. AT&T is GSM, Sprint is not.