1.    #1  
    I am technology challenged. Could anyone explain to me how to set up push mail on my pro and explain to me what is and how to get Microsoft exchange?
    Can you get push mail with pop3 email.

Thanks
    I'm no expert, but I believe push mail is when you connect your account with the Exchange server, so that mail is "pushed" from the server to your phone. So it's basically like you have your Outlook e-mail (from work) on your phone.

Microsoft Exchange is the server side of your work e-mail. The Exchange server is what manages all your e-mail (sending and receiving). If you use Outlook at work, it's probably as a client to the Exchange server (where your mail actually lives).

I don't think you can get push mail with pop3. But you can always set your phone to connect and check for your mail every 5 min, and that's pretty darn close to "live".

I don't have push mail set up on my phone, but I believe when you go to setup a new account under mail settings, one of the options is to connect to an Exchange server. I think if you choose Exchange, it should hook you up with push mail. However, this requires having push mail turned on on the Exchange server, so you may need to contact your Exchange Administrator.

Hope this helps,
    -- Jim
    Not sure but what im using is a program called Seven which allows you to push email from your accounts yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc to your phone. You can just google it. Also i think Sprint is using them and should be in downoads area on your sprint account. But if not using sprint then you can go to Seven's website and download the cab. Set up is 123. I am pushing 3 accounts right now with it.

Yahoo doesn't normally allow push without you paying for it but Seven a free program enables it.
    I'm using a Treo 650 with Palm Versamail v3.5, so I'm not sure this will help you.

Versamail offers Exchange synchronisation out of the box to your corporate Exchange server. I also had to install the Exchange Active Sync patch which enabled push email.

I'm not sure on the technical requirements of your Exchange server, but ours has webmail enabled through an SSL connection (no pop3 or IMAP). It was actually quite a simple process, and I'm quite happy with the results. Who needs a Blackberry!
    just download seven beta, all will be good
    Will SEVEN save battery life by going with SEVEN as opposed to check for email every 5 mins with a gmail account, and instant with a windows live account?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    On their site seven says it willexpire in 1 year, has anyone used this for more then a year?
    Thanks
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    On their site seven says it willexpire in 1 year, has anyone used this for more then a year?
    Thanks
    Terry
    I don't know about a year i think i read somewhere its 10 years.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the replies, I will check out seven when I get a chance. I have it set up now to check every 5 minutes but battery life is not that great when you use this method.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    I don't know about a year i think i read somewhere its 10 years.
    When I read their terms oc conditions it said:

"This Agreement shall expire upon the earlier of Seven's notice of termination or one year after commencement of this Agreement."

This is for the Beta program, is there another program that I am not aware of?
    Thanks again
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Ok I see where it says 10 years, does any one know how much the SMS messages cost that are sent to them, I live in the US.
    Also it would not let me download the set up app.
    Terry
    Ok I see where it says 10 years, does any one know how much the SMS messages cost that are sent to them, I live in the US.
    Also it would not let me download the set up app.
    Terry
    It's either 15 or 20 cents for each new account you activate. It's a one time thing though. You might have to try other. I don't have the treo pro so not 100% sure what cab file is for it maybe someone using it on the treo pro can further help. But the program is well worth it though.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Actualy I have an HTC Touch, ok I will go see if I can find the correct cab
    The only option Seven gave during the download screen for Palm was the Palm OS phones. I am downloading as "Other" / "Windows Mobile 6 Professional." Is that what you all had to do?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    The only option Seven gave during the download screen for Palm was the Palm OS phones. I am downloading as "Other" / "Windows Mobile 6 Professional." Is that what you all had to do?
    I downloaded the cab, then installed it, the program said it had to verify my device id then came back with some could not what ever, it came on, then kind of went away I never did get the whole message, I deleated every thing, I guess I will just stick with letting my PDA go check for mail, I do have the extra large battery, dont remember the mAmps, but all afternoon on facebook in a chat, checking email, and all way more then 50% left so I don't realy know why I want push, I do need email but nothing that needs emidiat attention.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    This is correct if my memory serves me correctly.

I downloaded the cab, then installed it, the program said it had to verify my device id then came back with some could not what ever, it came on, then kind of went away I never did get the whole message, I deleated every thing, I guess I will just stick with letting my PDA go check for mail, I do have the extra large battery, dont remember the mAmps, but all afternoon on facebook in a chat, checking email, and all way more then 50% left so I don't realy know why I want push, I do need email but nothing that needs emidiat attention.
    Terry
    You should use the other windows mobile device option. I am running it on a HTC Touch Pro and is working flawlessly.
    Terry
    Mine did the same thing. I choose WM 6 Pro too
    Just a quick update. I did finally get SEVEN installed on my Pro. I found a thread on the SEVEN boards with a link to the previous version. It installed fine. I used it for the whole day today, and deleted my other email accounts (SEVEN creates new ones) just to make sure I didn't have 4 syncing all day.

Battery life PLUMMETED. Not sure if this is normal or not, but I didn't even get halfway though the day without hitting 14% and SEVEN turning itself off. Now, I do use my Pro. Not as much as most of the people on here, but it's not just a cell phone to me either. I used Sprint Navigation for about 50 miles, got some emails, handful of text messages, handful of phone calls, couple pictures, pocket express found me a number and checked the weather for the TEA parties etc. But, this is a normal 1/2 day for me. Before I could go all day(6:30am till 9pm) without touching 30%. With SEVEN I was at 14% by 2:00pm and had to put it on the charger. Again, may have been an odd experience, but I deleted it off my phone to see what happens tomorrow without it.

I also noticed about 20 minutes into my day that SEVEN had unchecked the option to "Close apps after pressing X." So apps would stay open in the task manager after you thought you had closed them. I noticed this right away and began manually closing apps, but I didn't realize it simply changed a setting until the end of the day. I thought it was a bug with SEVEN, but it just unchecked that setting.

All in all a nice app if you need free push mail, but I think staying connected to seven 24/7 was draining the crap out of my battery. For some reason I think the standard windows live and 5 min check with gmail was much much more efficient. I wish all the syncing was done real-time server side, and the server somehow sent a notification to the phone when a message was received, rather than staying connected non stop