Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the advantages of paying for the full version of Kinoma as opposed to the free version? My phone came with the free, but am wondering if it's worth paying $30 for the upgrade.
    One feature missing out of the free version is opening playlist files.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    as well as Bass and Treble settings
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    wma streaming from internet radio stations
    If you purchased a full version of Kinoma on a Palm, will they upgrade a WM phone? Just curious if anyone else has asked, since its Sunday and they probably won't answer the email

Does the bass and treble adjustment make a decent difference in volume levels coming out of the rear speaker? I would love to be able to hear it.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    If you purchased a full version of Kinoma on a Palm, will they upgrade a WM phone? Just curious if anyone else has asked, since its Sunday and they probably won't answer the email
    I asked and they said I had to pay the full price for it. They said that they ran a special back in October, but it was no longer available.
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc View Post
    I asked and they said I had to pay the full price for it. They said that they ran a special back in October, but it was no longer available.
    Guess I will just use the free version than. WMP does what I need it to anyway No need to pay for something twice, ya know?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Guess I will just use the free version than. WMP does what I need it to anyway No need to pay for something twice, ya know?
    I agree, I asked a few months ago, they werent the most friendly about it either.
    The problem I have is that the free version is supposed to be their trial, but any time you try to do anything with it you get a notice that if you want this or that buy the full version, not much of a trial if you ask me.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You can get this software.

All you have do to is do a trial something when you order it. I got me a AMEX blue cash card. Within 3 days I got my serial # and I got the real thing.

Only reason I get the real thing is cause I want to get the extra bass.

Now I got one software for .avi movie, and two software for audio.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Yeah I started their trial pay deal, went through a credit card, then dont remember exactly what it was but I stoped, now my in box is full of junk mail for credit cards, I will never use trial pay, atleast from Kenoma.
    Terry
    You can also play Audible files with the pay for version.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Terry,

Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I agree, I asked a few months ago, they werent the most friendly about it either.
    I'm sorry we gave you that impression, because we really like to talk with customers and potential customers. (Can send the note you received to charles at our domain? We're always trying to improve.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    The problem I have is that the free version is supposed to be their trial, but any time you try to do anything with it you get a notice that if you want this or that buy the full version...
    The free version is just free (i.e. it's not a trial). There's no trial of Kinoma Play because intellectual property licensing issues make it difficult-to-impossible to do that.

So what are you thinking? Are we inadvertantly doing the wrong thing by giving away a free product?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    You can also play Audible files with the pay for version.
    Kinoma FreePlay also supports Audible.

The Kinoma FreePlay download page has a list of the major benefits of Kinoma Play vs. Kinoma FreePlay.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Terry,

I'm sorry we gave you that impression, because we really like to talk with customers and potential customers. (Can send the note you received to charles at our domain? We're always trying to improve.)

The free version is just free (i.e. it's not a trial). There's no trial of Kinoma Play because intellectual property licensing issues make it difficult-to-impossible to do that.

So what are you thinking? Are we inadvertantly doing the wrong thing by giving away a free product?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    . I also think the limiting of search results in YouTube to 10 results unless you buy the full version leave a bad taste (to me); I was ready to buy the full version, but the more I use the version including in the Treo Pro, the more less inclined I am. There seems to be no way to limit the search; my audio and video are in specific locations/folders, yet, the scan hits the full device. I really don't need every jpg/png/bmp from Garmin GPS showing up as a pictures. I guess I expect it to be more configurable for $30.
    Kinoma FreePlay also supports Audible.

The Kinoma FreePlay download page has a list of the major benefits of Kinoma Play vs. Kinoma FreePlay.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Ooh, nice to see we have a Kinoma rep on here

Can you tell us what the pay version of Kinoma does that Windows Media Player, YouTube app, and FlickR app won't do, other than put it all in one convenient package? I'm not trying to be an arse, I really don't know. WMP seems to do everything I used to do with the pay version of Kinoma on my old PalmOS, so I really haven't messed with the Kinoma Free Play on the Pro.

Also, any reason you guys stopped allowing PalmOS users who payed for a full version, to download the full version for a WM device? Understandably you all need to make money, but a lot of people don't switch OS's specifically for that reason. It is too expensive to re-purchase $20 apps everytime you change phones. I guess it's a tricky situation. I see it from both sides. You all have to essentially rewrite the code completely from PalmOS to WM, pay for a larger support staff etc. But on the other hand, the consumer has already paid a pretty large free just for a working media player from your company. Comes off a little stingy to the consumer when you don't allow a fully functional download because a previous user changed phones to a new OS.

Thanks.
  16. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    How are WM developers still charging $30 for an app when iPhone apps are between $1-$5? What a joke.

Kinoma FreePlay/Play have an excellent interface but this whole pricing model is out of sync with demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    How are WM developers still charging $30 for an app when iPhone apps are between $1-$5? What a joke.

Kinoma FreePlay/Play have an excellent interface but this whole pricing model is out of sync with demand.
    That was kind of the point of my question. Paying $20-$30 once for a tiny piece of software that doesn't even really effect the functionality for the device, as far as day to day business use goes, hurts enough as it is. Paying $20-30 for your 755/Centro etc, than getting a Pro to hold you over until the pre (another 20-30) THAN buying Kinoma AGAIN when the Pre comes out (assuming the media player in the Pre can actually be improved on) is too much. I can see them not wanting to give the same person Kinoma on every OS they offer it on within a 3 month period, but there's no way they could come out with something like unlimited downloads (which they already do in case you lost the file) for 2-3 OS's, than you will be required to purchase again? I don't know, like I said, they need to make money, and as consumers, we are always looking for a better deal. As far as myself goes, I am not paying another $30 for Kinoma after paying for it on my PalmOS unless there is something that the WMP and standard apps on the Treo Pro cannot do..and it would have to be something that I would actually utilize. Not just some better file management system, or "Upload to Twitter without having to waste 3 seconds opening IE/Skyfire!"

Kinoma is a good program (at least in my experience on the PalmOS), don't get me wrong, but until there is a good reason to spend another $30, I think I am going to pass. Unfortunately, that means less phones are running Kinoma to show friends and family when they are looking for a media player
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Terry,

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Hello Charles
    No I dont think you are doing somthing wrong by giving away a free product, but the problem is the free product realy doesnt do much, and I understand that, it is free after all, but on my Touch when I use TCPMP, and WMP, for videos they studder, or the video stops and the audio keeps going, seams this way on every vid, so my problem is I would never pay for another player unles I knew it would play properly
    As for Kenoma on my PPC, when I had already paid for it on my POS, I never wanted it free, but I think a discount would be in order.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I also emailed them and asked for a discount since I had the Palm version and was not going to use it anymore but they also told me that they ran a special some time back and that it is not active anymore. Oh well, found Pocket Player and for less money it does what I need it to do. I guess the economy is good for them and they do not need my $20
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    just use tcpmp..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast