Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey, I just got my Treo today and I'm wondering how you turn the thing off?

I know that Treo's are not intended to power down fully unless the battery is removed. However, I've also heard that Windows Mobile needs to be restarted or shut down every couple days.

This seems like a no win situation.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks.
    Try here
    Does this app actually turn off the phone?

Someone came up with a reset app which can be found in this thread.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-shortcut.html
    Dude, welcome to Windows. You don't have to restart your phone every few days but since its a Windows based device it will require maintenance. Programs such as Memmaid and SKTools will clean cache, enhance performance and a ton more. They also can perform soft resets without having to manually pull the battery.

The power button thing is weird because the Touch Pro has the same thing and can completely turn off the device. Since they are both made by HTC they should have carried this feature over to the Treo Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Also after a backup the device should reset via the backup application.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiesha View Post
    Try here
    Gave that a shot, didn't work The shut down button just turned off the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    So you would like to shut the entire phone down? My apologies, I thought that you wanted to reset every couple of days. I don't do complete shut downs but soft reset as needed. I'm not aware of any info that indicates that the phone should be shut down for maintenance purposes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Short of removing the battery, there isn't a way to completely shut down the phone. You can put it in airplane mode and shut off the screen, but it's not completely powered down. A soft reset program would allow you to do a soft reset without having to remove the battery.
    I use QuickMenu as my launcher and it has reset functionality built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Short of removing the battery, there isn't a way to completely shut down the phone. You can put it in airplane mode and shut off the screen, but it's not completely powered down. A soft reset program would allow you to do a soft reset without having to remove the battery.
    If the backup program still comes with the pro, it will reset the phone every night (or whenever) after backup.

That is how I reset my old treo 700...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Reviving this from a few months ago, but I just got my Treo Pro yesterday so it got me thinking. If the phone came with the battery in it and I just used the power button to turn it on, it must have been turned off in the factory since any time the battery is inserted from this point, the phone will automatically turn on. I would assume for QC purposes, the phones are powered on in some way before they are sealed.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey3081 View Post
    Reviving this from a few months ago, but I just got my Treo Pro yesterday so it got me thinking. If the phone came with the battery in it and I just used the power button to turn it on, it must have been turned off in the factory since any time the battery is inserted from this point, the phone will automatically turn on. I would assume for QC purposes, the phones are powered on in some way before they are sealed.
    That mode is probably only accessed at the customization time at the factory. I have never seen anybody access that mode in a shipping Treo.

What everyone else mentioned is the truth: there's no way to Turn off the device other than removing the battery.

what folks mentioned about keeping WinMo healthy was resetting the device every now and then. For that purpose there are many apps available out there that will allow you to soft reset the phone without the need to physically press the reset button on the back of the device.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I sometimes go through 2 batteries a day since i use my phone heavily for emailing and web surfing and i noticed that text messages i received ten minutes prior to swapping the dead battery for a fresh one were lost. not the worst thing in the world but it makes me wonder what else im losing every time im giving my phone a fresh battery.
    Any one else experience that?
    Any advice?

A
    Quote Originally Posted by avbar88 View Post
    I sometimes go through 2 batteries a day since i use my phone heavily for emailing and web surfing and i noticed that text messages i received ten minutes prior to swapping the dead battery for a fresh one were lost. not the worst thing in the world but it makes me wonder what else im losing every time im giving my phone a fresh battery.
    Any one else experience that?
    Any advice?

A
    As far as advice goes, try soft resetting just before changing the battery. That may help ensure things are fully saved.

Not wise at all for Palm not to have a shut down feature in their WM Treos. We know HTC (Treo Pro ODM) knows how to include a shut down feature, because it's in every HTC branded device I've ever seen. Palm has never included a shut down feature in their devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by b4gmen0t View Post
    You can turn off a treo pro by doing soft-reset and quickly holding the red, green, and top power buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. You can also remove and insert the battery and quickly hold those 3 buttons for 3 seconds. You turn it on by pressing the top power button.
    While this did successfully manage to turn off my Treo Pro, I was not able to turn it back on simply by pressing the top power button. I pressed the top power button quickly, held it for 3 seconds, then 10 seconds, then for a full minute, but it did not turn back on. I basically had to pull the battery out and re-insert it for the device to finally power back on, which is not very convenient...
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    While this did successfully manage to turn off my Treo Pro, I was not able to turn it back on simply by pressing the top power button. I pressed the top power button quickly, held it for 3 seconds, then 10 seconds, then for a full minute, but it did not turn back on. I basically had to pull the battery out and re-insert it for the device to finally power back on, which is not very convenient...
    All you really need for memory clearing purposes is a soft reset.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    All you really need for memory clearing purposes is a soft reset.
    Yes, but I believe there are some folks out there who are upset that you physically can't turn (easily) off a Palm Treo device to save valuable battery power. Not just setting it to airplane mode, but to completely shut off the device until you are ready to use it again. This solution, while successfully turning off the Treo Pro, does require a battery pull in order to turn the device back on, which is less convenient than simply pressing the power button to turn it on.
    Yes, but I believe there are some folks out there who are upset that you physically can't turn (easily) off a Palm Treo device to save valuable battery power. Not just setting it to airplane mode, but to completely shut off the device until you are ready to use it again. This solution, while successfully turning off the Treo Pro, does require a battery pull in order to turn the device back on, which is less convenient than simply pressing the power button to turn it on.
    Well, there are several easier options.

First, you could just pull the battery, in the first place. And leave it out of the phone overnight. Or.

Second, give the phone a nightly charge.

Third, get a cradle with a spare battery slot & charge both overnight.

I agree with you that not easily shutting off the phone is a pain. But maybe there's a reason for that. I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Well, there are several easier options.

First, you could just pull the battery, in the first place. And leave it out of the phone overnight. Or.

Second, give the phone a nightly charge.

Third, get a cradle with a spare battery slot & charge both overnight.

I agree with you that not easily shutting off the phone is a pain. But maybe there's a reason for that. I don't know.
    I agree that these are all good options. I don't know what was Palm's rationale for not including an actual shut-down feature, either. From what I've read online, the Powers That Be at Palm decided that there's no good reason ever to shut down a mobile phone because (as they argue) you still need it for alarms, reminders, notifications, etc., so that's why they made it intentionally difficult. I guess trying to save precious battery power wasn't on their checklist. I can't say I agree with Palm's decision-making on this, and it looks like a lot of other folks don't, either.
    I can't say I agree with Palm's decision-making on this, and it looks like a lot of other folks don't, either.
    Well, I know the Blackberry I use is the same way. And I've heard that at least some of the Android models don't fully shut off, either. So, the Treo Pro is no longer alone in that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast