Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One simple question - why do you THINK that you need a full shutdown? Treo Pro is TREO, and it means that it's a kind of PDA (although equipped with phone module). And every PDA needs to be partially powered full time to run properly and do its tasks. But when the phone is turned off and Treo "sleeps", the battery drain is in practice close to zero. You "pay" single miliamperes and your device is ready to run instantly and it remembers of your alarms etc. It's the essential of having PDA.

Yes, Pro isn't a PalmOS or EPOC device and needs to be restarted more frequently than every few weeks. And the more programs and rubbish you have in memory, the more frequent resets it needs. So IMHO having another "launcher" etc to have a software-softreset function is weird.
    I've simply drilled a hole in back case, to have the reset button accessible without removing bach cover (and some bigger hole to be able to remove transflash card). This is the best "softreset" fix for me.
    Other thing is, that Treo Pro is my first WM device that don't need reset every two hours of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by c64club View Post
    One simple question - why do you THINK that you need a full shutdown? Treo Pro is TREO, and it means that it's a kind of PDA (although equipped with phone module). And every PDA needs to be partially powered full time to run properly and do its tasks. But when the phone is turned off and Treo "sleeps", the battery drain is in practice close to zero. You "pay" single miliamperes and your device is ready to run instantly and it remembers of your alarms etc. It's the essential of having PDA.
    Again, that's Palm's rationale, but I don't agree with it. A phone or PDA is still an electronic device, and as such, should have the built-in capability to turn it off when you are no longer using it. It's like saying your PC doesn't need an "Off" function because, after all, it needs to run constantly to do its tasks. Regardless of what tasks the Treo may need to run, the simple fact is that the option to turn it completely off when I so desire should exist.
    Comparing constantly powered (but slept) PDA with constantly running PC isn't right, cause PC don't do tasks that needs uninterrupted powering when you don't use it. But let's leave the poor PC and talk about PDA, pdaphone etc.
    PDAs, heart-monitors and car/motorcycle/home alarms are specific group of devices (yes, electronic devices) that are designed to never stop, and often specially tested, equipped with watchdogs and other mechanisms ensuring their uninterrupted and stable work.

You've bought PDA and don't agree with this - Ok. There are 2 possibilities:
    1. You are theoretising cos you are bored :P (sorry for that)
    2. You really think that you can save some portion of energy that is worth of whole this work.

If the answer is 2 and You don't need functions that needs constant background-run (such as calendar or alarms, because they need these miliampers), it's one simple method to surely on/off your Treo. But remember - energy that treo eats for 10 days of sleeping is that small, that it can run few minutes more if you turn treo off instead of putting it to sleep. This power is such small, that it approx. equals self-discharge current of bigger battery (eg. if you install 3.5Ah batt).
    I did that for other PDA that was used only as rs232 terminal. I reveived that PDA because it drawn about 50 mA when in "sleep" mode.
    So i cut electrical track on PCB that ran from battery connector's "+" terminal and mounted some subsmall dipswitch (1x1, ca 1,5x6mm) on handheld's edge. Then I ran 2 very thin cables between switch and this cut track. So i had to put switch in "on" position to connect battery's + to connect the battery to pda's circuits. Effect was identical with battery remove, but my colleague didn't want to carry the battery and pda separately.
    And it's the only method to completely turn off PDA. Physically disconnect it from power source. But there's no chance to "shutdown" it in traditional meaning, because no one PDA was created to be shut down.
    Only linux pdas (like Jornada with JLime or NEC 900c with some ported debian) can "shutdown", where "shutdown" means "correctly close all apps/progs, unmount memory devices and kill the core process".

But discussion can be interesting, thus I wrote some posts from electronician's point of view.
    Last edited by c64club; 11/20/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by b4gmen0t View Post
    You can turn off a treo pro by doing soft-reset and quickly holding the red, green, and top power buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. You can also remove and insert the battery and quickly hold those 3 buttons for 3 seconds. You turn it on by pressing the top power button.
    Perfect. THANK YOU!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12