1.    #1  
    Hi everyone I am new here I just go my Treo today!

I tried to download google maps by going on the website from my phone. The file is a prc file and I have nooo idea what to do with it. I cant simply click on it in the file explorer it gives me an error.

Thanks for your help
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Have you tried a second time?
    I have downloaded google maps for PPC several times and always received a cab file.
    terry
  3.    #3  
    I tried multiple time.... This is kinda weird. And there is no place on the google mobile page to change the device.
    Odd.

You can find google maps 2 ways. Get one the mobile page and goto the other services and click maps, or just google "google mobile maps" to get a direct link.

Not quite sure what the prc is, you could try downloading the file file with another browser instead, such as Iris or Skyfire. Opera mobile kinda blows on the Treo Pro.
    Sanyo 7800 (Sprint) > Dell Axim > Motorola E815 (Alltel) > Motorola Q (Alltel) > HTC PPC6800 (Alltel) > Palm Treo Pro (Alltel)
  5.    #5  
    I was using IE.
    I installed it by downloading the cab on my pc then send it to my phone.
    Iris and Skyfire are really better than IE?
  6.    #6  
    every page I load with IE doesnt recognize my phone as a treo pro. Skyfire page did not see it as a WM phone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxcc View Post
    Iris and Skyfire are really better than IE?
    My opinion? No. I actually find them to be quite annoying to watch as they load and zoom into pages. Skyfire has the better interface, but it still irritates me.

I use Internet Explorer 6 on the Treo Pro. I downloaded the IE6/PIE switch to help with browsing certain sites that bog down IE6.

Opera Mobile 9.5 has a lot of promise, but the version that works on the Treo is retarded. Simply put. If they can fix the interface to match other HTC devices, it would be my browser of choice.

However, if IE6 ever gets tabbed support, I would probably keep to that.

To each there own though. Try each one out and decide which is best for you.
    Sanyo 7800 (Sprint) > Dell Axim > Motorola E815 (Alltel) > Motorola Q (Alltel) > HTC PPC6800 (Alltel) > Palm Treo Pro (Alltel)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxcc View Post
    every page I load with IE doesnt recognize my phone as a treo pro. Skyfire page did not see it as a WM phone too.
    Facebook, Google, Yahoo, and Myspace will. But these sites have mobile interfaces and are designed to recognize mobile browsers. IE6 has an option that can browse sites as a mobile device or desktop. It really doesn't do much except change the gateway that you access the sites and others like them mentioned above. Basically, desktop mode gives you full access to the site.

If you want the older version of Pocket Internet Explorer back, check the cabs in the stickies for the IE6/PIE Switch. It's a great utility.
    If it's a .prc file, you downloaded the wrong one. That is for the Palm operating system. You want the .CAB file for Windows Mobile.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    If it's a .prc file, you downloaded the wrong one. That is for the Palm operating system. You want the .CAB file for Windows Mobile.
    What's interesting is that Google recognized his device as a Palm OS and not windows.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue with gMaps -- When I tried to download it through Iris, it tried redirecting me to the web version (that my phone wasn't compatible). But then when I pulled up the page through IE, it went to the CAB fine.
    gCalendar through Iris pulls up the iPhone compatible page too.. wierd..