Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Again they might not be reported as stolen yet on the database. the owner, ie the insurance company, may not have gotten to that yet. Sprint doesn't care, they sell contracts. Palm would need a serious reason to deny warranty.
    That is not true when it comes to dealing with stolen phones. Under no circumstances will Sprint activate any phone if it was reported as stolen. It doesn't matter how much they need business. I repeat they will absolutely not activate it if it is reported as stolen. It is against the law and they can't do it. You have to file a report when a phone is stolen. There is a difference between the term "Lost" and "stolen" when dealing with the activation of a phone. If you report a phone Lost, when it is found that phone can be activated by whoever has the phone. But if that same phone was reported stolen no way is it being activated. The keywords are "Lost" and "Stolen". Don't believe go try it i promise you won't get it activated if it was reported stolen. In Palm's situation i don't know what the situation is but i can tell you if they reported the 1.03 versions as being stolen not lost then none of them could be activated no matter how much business Sprint needs. Now the phones could have disappeared off a truck and written of as a loss but then that would be Palm's or the Retailers fault for not reporting it as stolen especially when these devices have ESN#'s to track them and that would be stupid on their part. But that's pure speculation and i won't get into that because i would be lying if i said i knew anything about the situation. All I can tell you is about what would happen if any devices is reported as stolen.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    It is not some kind of secret on how to contract prior buyers, that is why I was shocked at your claim it could not be done. It is done, it can be done, and people do it. It is not a violation of ebay policy. You keep saying it is a violation yet have posted nothing that says it is. You are posting links that say nothing about it, in fact they list what is prohibited and exclude asking the questions and the type of discussion I mentioned.

I don't need to, I have contacted Palm. They know more about this and the legality than ebay. I think some of the buyers of 1.03 that I contacted are also contacting Palm.
    Again, this is a DIRECT QUOTE from eBay site on Privacy:

I refer you to:

Protecting your privacy

Look under Limitations of member-to-member contact:

"Although members can contact one another through the Contact an eBay Member feature, this feature should only be used to facilitate a transaction. We'll investigate reports of misuse of the eBay Forwarding System".

What part of that statement is not clear about contacting other ebay members? How is telling them that they may have purchased a bad phone is facillitating a transaction? By your own admission, you are contacting other buyers and alerting them about the potential problems with their phones. That is defined as Transaction Interference. Again a DIRECT QUOTE from eBay (not my interpretation or guess on what they mean):

"Members are not premitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. "

By advocating users to do that, you are encouraging them to violate their user agreement, pure and simple.

I'm also waiting for you to reveal your eBay user ID, as well as your brother's. Is there some reason that you are not wiling to divulge that information? You are making claims about your history on eBay, unless you're willing to back up those claims with some hard evidence everyone will think that you're just blowing hot air.

You have also not identified the source of the quote that you have attributed to me. Is there a reason for that? You make the claim that I gave out incomplete and false information, yet the quote you put in that message was not from the one that I referred to. The post I am referring to is the one you entered on 4/23/2009 at 8:12am, and then edited the same day at 8:38am to include the wrong quote. I believe retraction to that claim, as well as the source of the information you published is in order.
    Last edited by ivhs72; 04/24/2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    That is not true when it comes to dealing with stolen phones. Under no circumstances will Sprint activate any phone if it was reported as stolen.
    This depends on it being reported. I never said they would activate a stolen phone, just that they may not have been reported by ESN yet. The phones are owned by the insurance company.

Again I did not say that these were stolen, simply that is is plausible possibility that they are.

The most likely scenario is scam artists got a hold of a "fell off the truck shipment" destined to go back to HTC or brightpoint for reflashing.
    Last edited by aero; 04/24/2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Again, this is a DIRECT QUOTE from eBay site on Privacy:
    "Although members can contact one another through the Contact an eBay Member feature, this feature should only be used to facilitate a transaction. We'll investigate reports of misuse of the eBay Forwarding System".
    but this is not defined as misuse. I see no examples on eBay forums of a single person being hassled by ebay for what I am saying.

You are making a widescale interpretation that is your own.

Facilitating a transaction is a very broad term.

You should read the ebay forums there are no cases of people being banned or disciplined for what I suggest.

As far as the other question, quite simply I quoted the text of your link, which did not back up your claim.
    I agree it's a great phone, the best I've used in years, and well worth the price. Hopefully you'll be able to get support/service when you need it. Have you registered it with Palm? If you do and they accept your registration, that should obligate them to supporting it.

I went to the palm registration page and submitted it. It went through with no problems and got confirmation email.

What does happens to those who have flagged SN during registration? Does Palm not let you submit?
    Received my Ebay purchased STP yesterday. Ordered from vantagecommunications, paid a little more than I would have for an open auction, but received 1.04 and so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gordec View Post
    I went to the palm registration page and submitted it. It went through with no problems and got confirmation email.

What does happens to those who have flagged SN during registration? Does Palm not let you submit?
    Interesting event just now, tried to go to Palm supportal to register a phone and it is listed as "The portlet is unavailable" - hope it is just an update.

As far as the other question, quite simply I quoted the text of your link, which did not back up your claim.
    With all due respect, you should learn to read, because the text you quoted appears nowhere on the link that I referenced. Just saying that it is so doesn't make it so.

Also, I see that you are still refusing to identify your eBay user ID, as well as your brothers. Why should anyone believe your comments about eBay if you are not willing to back it up with some proof. You claim that your brother is 30,00+ transaction power seller, but you refuse to identify him? Why?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    but this is not defined as misuse. I see no examples on eBay forums of a single person being hassled by ebay for what I am saying.

You are the one making the interpretation, not me. I am simply repeating what eBay has on their website. You are the one defining what misuse is, are you not? It is up to eBay to determine what misuse is, and abuse of their email system is, isn't it? I'm making no interpretation at all, but you seem to be when you say that "this is not defined as misuse". If you want eBay's interpretation of what facilitating a transaction is, why don't you ask them? Or are you afraid that they'll tell you that what you have been doing is a violation of their policies?

Quote Originally Posted by gordec View Post

I'm not sure how folks are finding out about how Palm and/or Sprint are finding out about the problems with the phones. I have a version 1.04.

You should read the ebay forums there are no cases of people being banned or disciplined for what I suggest.

You only responded to part of my previous post. You didn't respond to:

By your own admission, you are contacting other buyers and alerting them about the potential problems with their phones. That is defined as Transaction Interference. Again a DIRECT QUOTE from eBay (not my interpretation or guess on what they mean):
    "Members are not premitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. "

Did you miss that portion? Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

Sorry guys but this whole line of conversation is just stupid. Who cares?

Without an 'official' statement from Palm or Sprint, people trying to 'protect' others about 1.03 firmware are doing nothing but speculating. We all have been able to infer that 1.03 was the recalled version, but good luck even trying to prove it. The only thing we have to go by is unofficial conversations with Palm techs in e-mail and online chat. A seller could contact e-bay and tell them that you are completely making your accusations up, and you will have absolutely no way of proving otherwise. What will you do? Link to this forum?

Ebay is all about buyer beware. If buyers don't do their research before they buy something, then they are suck with it. I don't see why you think you have to be the savior of e-bay, out to protect bidders like Ralph Nader.

I don't understand what you are even protecting them from anyway. Nobody has been able to prove that anything is different from 1.03 to 1.04, and nobody has been able to prove that Palm really won't support them.

As somebody previously posted, if 1.03 versions were stolen, unauthorized, etc., Palm, Sprint, Best Buy, etc. have had well over a MONTH to report them as so.

How about we discuss the differences between the 2 versions instead of being completely non-contstructive in some sort of ebay policy pissing contest?

Ok, commence flaming ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Sorry guys but this whole line of conversation is just stupid. Who cares?

Without an 'official' statement from Palm or Sprint, people trying to 'protect' others about 1.03 firmware are doing nothing but speculating. We all have been able to infer that 1.03 was the recalled version, but good luck even trying to prove it. The only thing we have to go by is unofficial conversations with Palm techs in e-mail and online chat. A seller could contact e-bay and tell them that you are completely making your accusations up, and you will have absolutely no way of proving otherwise. What will you do? Link to this forum?

Ebay is all about buyer beware. If buyers don't do their research before they buy something, then they are suck with it. I don't see why you think you have to be the savior of e-bay, out to protect bidders like Ralph Nader.

I don't understand what you are even protecting them from anyway. Nobody has been able to prove that anything is different from 1.03 to 1.04, and nobody has been able to prove that Palm really won't support them.

As somebody previously posted, if 1.03 versions were stolen, unauthorized, etc., Palm, Sprint, Best Buy, etc. have had well over a MONTH to report them as so.

How about we discuss the differences between the 2 versions instead of being completely non-contstructive in some sort of ebay policy pissing contest?

Ok, commence flaming ;-)
    No need to flame, just a casual, respectful conversation about the whole situation.

First, there are users on Treocentral who have had problems registering their STP w/1.03. Fact, not conjuecture, just read the posts.

Second, some posters are encouraging eBay buyers to engage in conduct on eBay that may or may not result in their being suspended from eBay.

Thrid, there is already a thread about the differences between the 1.03 & 1.04. Here it is:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...v1-04-stp.html

The original intent of this thread was specifically about the ones sold on eBay, and the problems getting support and registration, not about the software differences.

Fourth, there has been an official statement from Palm regarding a loss of some units. There hasn't been a lot of information on this but some users who have extrapolated those statements to a different level. Just read this thread and you'll see what I mean.

Fifth, I'm not interested in protecting anyone who has done anything illegal. But in the true spirit of this forum, I am interested in helping members who have had and are having problems with their devices. Members have provided me help and assistance in the past, and I'm only trying to return the favor by sharing my experiences and knowledge, that's all. Sometimes it gets a little heated when egos get involved, but I do try to keep it respectful.

I'm putting in one more request for information to Palm -- they've been pretty swamped there with all the Pre prep stuff, but will try to get something official tomorrow if I can. Perhaps the next day if they need some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I'm putting in one more request for information to Palm -- they've been pretty swamped there with all the Pre prep stuff, but will try to get something official tomorrow if I can. Perhaps the next day if they need some time.
    Dieter, I talked to Sprint tonight (disputing a charge on my bill, but that's another story). Was told that the Pre wasn't expected "before summer". The person I talked to has been there for years, and he hasn't seen any of the prep work Sprint does for their staff yet, in terms providing customer service, billing, tech support, etc. He said that for other devices, they get pre-release training on new products a month or so in advance of release, and a couple of weeks notice that the training was coming, but nothing like that yet for the Pre.

With all due respect, you should learn to read, because the text you quoted appears nowhere on the link that I referenced. Just saying that it is so doesn't make it so.
    With all respect it is the EXACT quote of the link and you shuld lear to read links you cite BEFORE you cite them.

Here is what I quoted from your link:
    Misuse of eBay Email Forwarding System
    eBay allows members to contact one another through the eBay Email Forwarding System, with features such as "Contact an eBay Member" and "Ask Seller a Question". The purpose of these features is to provide an open avenue of communication between eBay users. Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

* Listing cancellation
    * Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    * Limits placed on account privileges
    * Loss of PowerSeller status
    * Account suspension

To report misuse of Contact an eBay Member, please click on the "report" link in the email you received.
    HideAdditional Information

Members who have 0 feedback will be required to provide additional identifying information by providing credit card information before they can use the Contact eBay Member feature. If an action has been taken on your account for misuse of the Contact an eBay Member Feature and you believe that the action was taken in error, please contact us.

Most email correspondence sent without using eBay's Email Forwarding System is not regulated by eBay. This could include replies or subsequent messages sent as a result of a message delivered through the eBay Messaging System.. Members who receive an unwelcome message that was not sent through Contact an eBay Member, should refer to the Offensive or Unwelcome Email page for more information on the options available.
    HideWhy does eBay have this policy?

Communication among eBay members is a key part of the eBay buying or selling experience. For that reason eBay provides the eBay Messaging System, and has this policy with regard to misuse of the system.
    here is where it is referenced by you:
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72;1587440"Although members can contact one another through the Contact an eBay Member feature, this feature should only be used to facilitate a transaction. [URL="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-unwelcome-email-misuse.html"
    We'll investigate reports of misuse of the eBay Forwarding System[/URL]".
    Your constant demand fro my ebay identity or that of my brother is getting strange.

As was your claim that only buyers and sellers withing a transaction were capable of contacting each other -- as I have shown ebay clearly facilitates other members contacting a prior buyer and has not policy against this.
    You only responded to part of my previous post. You didn't respond to:
    By your own admission, you are contacting other buyers and alerting them about the potential problems with their phones. That is defined as Transaction Interference. Again a DIRECT QUOTE from eBay (not my interpretation or guess on what they mean):

Did you miss that portion? Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.
    Please look at the full quote I posted. Something you posted a link too and did not read.

Nothing I have done is transaction interference.

You are making your own interpretation of Ebay policy and your interpretation is totally outside of Ebay's written rules.

Furthermore in ebays own very active forums there is no evidence of anyone having any problems with the type of questions I am asking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Thanks Deiter. You are right, they are all about Pre right now, relaese is near imminent. My Store's advocate is in training (written materials).

As we know Sprint often releases devices with no prep or training for its people on the ground, and often the advocates get devices after general release so it is coming very quick.

I do know the Sprint ADS people have been in training on Pre now for over a month.
    Guys -- please move any future eBay Policy debate off this thread and into off topic.
    With all respect it is the EXACT quote of the link and you shuld lear to read links you cite BEFORE you cite them.

Here is what I quoted from your link:

here is where it is referenced by you:

Your constant demand fro my ebay identity or that of my brother is getting strange.
    This is my last post. I'll leave it up to other readers to draw their own conclusions on this thread.

The link that I quoted is from the "Protecting Your Privacy". The one you are referring to is using the Email Forwarding System. I have no idea where that is located, as you didn't provide a hyperlink to it.

As for the second quote, it is from their "Transaction Interference" section. Again, if you CAREFULLY read what I quoted, and what you are referencing, you will see that there are differnces in what is said. Your failure to provide any relevant hyperlink makes if difficult to see what sections of eBay you are referring to.

As for my interest in your eBay user ID, and your brothers, you are making claims about extensive eBay experience. But without giving any evidence that you are as experienced as you claim leaves a lot of room for doubt in what you say. I could give a rip less about who or what you are doing on eBay. I back up my claims and statements with links and quotes (and I wasn't afraid to give my user ID so anyone can go there and see that I'm who I say I am).

Dieter, I think it's time to close this thread. I'm going to spend some constructive time banging my head against a brick wall. My head will hurt less when I'm done rather than arguing with, well never mind, if I said what I wanted to say, I'd be 86'd off the site.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast