Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I would start emailing the other purchasers (there are about 75a) of treo pro from wireless dream to let them know he sold them the old version
    That would be considered bid interference by eBay, and could get the emailer either suspended or banned.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    That would be considered bid interference by eBay, and could get the emailer either suspended or banned.

Ebay has strict rules about who can e-mail who. You can only e-mail the seller and will never be able to email the bidders, unless you did business with them in the past. You can't just e-mail people who are bidding on an item, so unfortunately that wouldn't work.
    NO it is isn't bid interference. believe me , my brother is 30,000 transaction powerseller and he recommended it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Ebay has strict rules about who can e-mail who. You can only e-mail the seller and will never be able to email the bidders, unless you did business with them in the past. You can't just e-mail people who are bidding on an item, so unfortunately that wouldn't work.
    actually you can email anyone through ebay. You can ask any prior buyer things like was this genuine? did you get this version or not, etc. I do it all the time.
    NO it is isn't bid interference. believe me , my brother is 30,000 transaction powerseller and he recommended it.

actually you can email anyone through ebay. You can ask any prior buyer things like was this genuine? did you get this version or not, etc. I do it all the time.
    Bid interference is doing anything that can cause a problem between a buyer and a seller. It is referred and defined by eBay as transaction interference and is "Contacting other buyers by email to warn them about a seller or item is not permitted". The exact page is:

Knowing the Rules for Buyers

It also talks about how to contact other users, but in order to do so you need to have their user ID. Under eBay's policies, only the seller can see the IDs of who is bidding on their items, and is the only one who can see the winner's ID. Ebay did this in repsonse to users being bombarded by spam emails from within their system by people trying to hijack accounts. I've been buying and selling on eBay for almost 15 years (and am a power seller as well) so am not familiar only with their current policies, but also what changes they went through over the years to arrive at those policies. It totally sucks not being able to warn people against sellers, but the easiest way is through their forums.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    It also talks about how to contact other users, but in order to do so you need to have their user ID. Under eBay's policies, only the seller can see the IDs of who is bidding on their items, and is the only one who can see the winner's ID.
    As a test last night I emailed through ebay someone who bought one of the Treo Pro's in question from the buyer in question. they said they got the 1.03 version

It is not interfering since the purchase already went through.

I routinely ask prior buyers of items from specific merchants about their experience. This does not at all fall into ebays policy against "transaction interference" or spam.

Respectfully I think you are reading anti spam and prohibitions against competitors screwing around with the actual polices, which this is this is not a violation.
    It is very much against the rules and is called "Transaction Intrerference."

Your brother is wrong, and IDK why you'd assume he knows all ebay rules just because he sells a lot there.

(Oops, lokos like someone beat me to the punch...)
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn View Post

Your brother is wrong, and IDK why you'd assume he knows all ebay rules just because he sells a lot there.

(Oops, lokos like someone beat me to the punch...)
    I don't think it violates the policy if you simply ask the version and leave it at that.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

My first thought about buying on EBay is where in the world did this guy get all these phones? Secondly, as everyone knows, you must be very careful when you buy on EBay. Everyone knows there are bad people, doing bad things online. Lastly, who cares what EBay's policy is about contacting another buyer. If you're able to email someone and ask about the product they purchased, good for you. Why all the animosity??
    Wrong. it doesn't violate any policy in the least.
    You haven't read the policy if you think so.
    contacting a buyer and asking if they got the valid current or recalled version on a completed transaction is not any violation.
    No offense but he knows the rules better than you. Why don't you read and quote them? You are perfectly able within ebay rules to contact a prior buyer and ask if they got a legitimate item.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvent View Post
    My first thought about buying on EBay is where in the world did this guy get all these phones? Secondly, as everyone knows, you must be very careful when you buy on EBay. Everyone knows there are bad people, doing bad things online. Lastly, who cares what EBay's policy is about contacting another buyer. If you're able to email someone and ask about the product they purchased, good for you. Why all the animosity??
    That's just it! You can't email another buyer and ask them about their purchase or transaction. If you look at any completed transaction on eBay, you will see that the buyer's user ID is blocked out and viewable to only the seller and buyer, it has the first character, several ***, then the last character. This was done a few years ago because some third party software users were harvesting user IDs and sending them spam messages via eBay's messaging system. I got hunderds of them and was glad they did this.

As a buyer, if I go to a completed auction that I was high bidder on, I can't see any of the competing bidders user ID's, I can only see the seller's ID. As a seller, I can view the user IDs of anyone bidding on my auctions. But I am the only one that can. Anyone else viewing my auctions only sees the ones that are marked as I described. The seller can see who is bidding so he can verify the status of a bidder, and if he desires, can cancel a bid if he doesn't want to sell. I've done that before when the bidder has a poor track record.

I don't mean for this to turn into an eBay lecture. If a bidder wants to contact a seller and ask about an item, such as what software is on a Treo, that is acceptable pre-sale activity and is allowed. But contacting other buyers/bidders before a sale, and afterwards, could be viewed as transaction interference (and no, I'm not confusing it with anything else) but that would be up to eBay to decide on that. The best place to discuss any problems with buyers is on eBay's Workshops/Discussion Forums section, where you can get definitive answers on these questions.

Wrong. it doesn't violate any policy in the least.
    You haven't read the policy if you think so.
    contacting a buyer and asking if they got the valid current or recalled version on a completed transaction is not any violation.
    No offense but he knows the rules better than you. Why don't you read and quote them? You are perfectly able within ebay rules to contact a prior buyer and ask if they got a legitimate item.
    That is true, you can contact a buyer and ask them pre-sales questions. But this discussion thread started because of a comment you made:

"Originally Posted by aero
    I would start emailing the other purchasers (there are about 75a) of treo pro from wireless dream to let them know he sold them the old version."

You may not contact other purchasers of an item. That is transaction interference. It says that right in the policy. I suggest you read the rules yourself rather than relying on your brother's interpretation of them (no offense intended here), especially since you are encouraging others to do something that can get them suspended from eBay. The above link on Transaction Interference spells it out quite clearly, "Members are not premitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. "I've been buying and selling on eBay for almost 15 years. When I started, Pierre used to answer his own emails, now he has people . I'm a power seller as well with almost 9,000 transactions and quite familiar with the rules and regulations of eBay. So I think I am qualified to make these statements.

Last edited by ivhs72; 04/21/2009 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I don't think it violates the policy if you simply ask the version and leave it at that.
    You can ask the seller anything about his item before a sale, except for one thing. That one thing is you cannot ask them to end the auction early and sell it to you directly. A BIG no-no on eBay. I'm not justifying it, just stating their policy.

This...
    I would start emailing the other purchasers (there are about 75a) of treo pro from wireless dream to let them know he sold them the old version
    is certainly in violation of this and can result in action against the ebay user, including suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by eBay Policy
    Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item.
    Obviously in this case it should be taken up in eBay's forum as they state.

If possible, emailing and asking someone what version they received would be harmless, but it seems it would only digress into a warning. I mean, if you were asked about what version you got...and you had no idea about different versions, your next logical move would be to ask "Why? What other versions are out there/why does it matter?" In answering that, you'd start to run afoul of eBay's policy again. It's practically a loaded question.

I think people should steer away from direct advocacy with eBay and just follow the in place system for reporting abuse. Just contact the seller if it is a concern.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This...

is certainly in violation of this and can result in action against the ebay user, including suspension.

Obviously in this case it should be taken up in eBay's forum as they state.

If possible, emailing and asking someone what version they received would be harmless, but it seems it would only digress into a warning. I mean, if you were asked about what version you got...and you had no idea about different versions, your next logical move would be to ask "Why? What other versions are out there/why does it matter?" In answering that, you'd start to run afoul of eBay's policy again. It's practically a loaded question.

I think people should steer away from direct advocacy with eBay and just follow the in place system for reporting abuse. Just contact the seller if it is a concern.

Hear, hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This...
    No it isn't at all. Askking exactly a prior buyer if they got a recalled version or unwarranted version is not interfering. It is not covered in the definition you cited.

I have done it now many many times and my brother has done it for years. He is a top ebay pwer seller on there since they started . Never so much as a warning.

You are reading into the policy something that dosnt exist.
    You can ask the seller anything about his item before a sale, except for one thing. That one thing is you cannot ask them to end the auction early and sell it to you directly. A BIG no-no on eBay. I'm not justifying it, just stating their policy.
    And you can ask the prior buyer myriad details on the sale.
    No it isn't at all. Askking exactly a prior buyer if they got a recalled version or unwarranted version is not interfering. It is not covered in the definition you cited.

I have done it now many many times and my brother has done it for years. He is a top ebay pwer seller on there since they started . Never so much as a warning.

You are reading into the policy something that dosnt exist.
    So what is your brother's user ID?

You guys are all missing a crucial thing. YOU CAN'T CONTACT PRIOR BUYERS! Ebay has it setup so that you can't contact a member unless you have some sort of open transaction with them. I think they did that because of all the fake 'second chance' offers that are out there. Try it for yourself. Unless they changed their policy again, you won't even be able to do it, unless you sell them something, or buy something from them.
    You guys are all missing a crucial thing. YOU CAN'T CONTACT PRIOR BUYERS! Ebay has it setup so that you can't contact a member unless you have some sort of open transaction with them. I think they did that because of all the fake 'second chance' offers that are out there. Try it for yourself. Unless they changed their policy again, you won't even be able to do it, unless you sell them something, or buy something from them.
    I get it!! I'm just trying to get a certain other poster to get it as well!! He is advocating doing something that can get eBay users in hot water.

Please. People do it all the time. I have been using ebay forever and know its in and outs and policies. I have been doing it for years and any member can do it today.
    1) Sign in.
    2) go to the seller of the item you wish to buy.
    3) go to "detailed feedback" of the seller.
    4) Click anyone who bought the same item.
    5) you go to their page.
    6) right there on the left is "contact the member."

It is something I do with every major purchase.

There is literally nothing in the ebay polcy that stops or says you can't do it

You are perfectly able under ebay policy to ask about their experience. if they got what was decribed. if they got a current iteration of something that has several iterations (or gray market items). I have asked expensively about warranties on camera equipment for a decade since gray market "alternate channel" camera equipment is often in ebay as well.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast