Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say I didn't understand what you meant at first. (Thought you were just joking about posting a "bump."

After eating lunch and having some caffeine, I now realize what you meant.

I'm seriously debating getting a TP. I still love my 800w, but and now worried that I've been lucky and mine might die suddenly one day.

I usually like to have a backup device anyway since I like to beta test and still need my device for work, so this might not be a bad choice with the decent prices on ebay.

Just thinking...
    Lol, I just figured you understood but you were purposely avoiding the question.

I think you'll like it, a few quirks here and there, but overall it's a pretty solid device.
    Turns out it wasn't 1.04 version so seller refunded my purchase. It was from seller idreamofwireless. He emailed me and told me he only had 1.03 version. I'm thinking if i should have just taken it at that price i was getting it form?
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    Remember, we're not concerned so much about the firmware anymore, but rather if the SN is flagged.
    When you guys get a 1.03 call Sprint/Palm and see if the SN is flagged.
    But then again, It would have to be a screaming deal for me to take a chance.

Actually, I would think the seller should be able to tell you the SN before you even buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Remember, we're not concerned so much about the firmware anymore, but rather if the SN is flagged.
    When you guys get a 1.03 call Sprint/Palm and see if the SN is flagged.
    But then again, It would have to be a screaming deal for me to take a chance.

Actually, I would think the seller should be able to tell you the SN before you even buy.
    I thought the SN was flagged on 1.03 versions. Has there been any case of a 1.04 version being flagged?
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    You're correct.
    1.04's are Official Releases and are warranted.

The only reports of refusal for warranty have been with 1.03's.
    But the question is; are all 1.03's Flagged? We have reports of some people with 1.03's getting support and some being turned away. I'm not sure if the ones that got support from Sprint/Palm were ever asked for their SN.
    But we do know that the ones reported as Flagged were asked by Sprint/Palm for the SN.
    You're correct.

But the question is; are all 1.03's Flagged? We have reports of some people with 1.03's getting support and some being turned away. I'm not sure if the ones that got support from Sprint/Palm were ever asked for their SN.
    But we do know that the ones reported as Flagged were asked by Sprint/Palm for the SN.
    Ok that sounds about right. But i'm curious to know what happens if you have insurance meaning TEP. The way how it works is that the insurance doesn't cover your phone but rather your phone number so that should mean you would be covered even if its flagged.
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    Ok that sounds about right. But i'm curious to know what happens if you have insurance meaning TEP. The way how it works is that the insurance doesn't cover your phone but rather your phone number so that should mean you would be covered even if its flagged.
    Reports so far are that people with TEP are safe. If I had TEP, and the 1.03's were going for a lot less $ than a 1.04, then I might just go for the 1.03.
    Reports so far are that people with TEP are safe. If I had TEP, and the 1.03's were going for a lot less $ than a 1.04, then I might just go for the 1.03.
    Yeah thats what i'm about to do. I got one earlier for cheap but told the seller wanted 1.04 so he refunded. Now im about to go back to try my luck again, i'm covered by TEP.
    Yup, I just had my 1.03 replaced under TEP. It did take some doing tho. The last time I went and I tried to explain the 1.03 thing again the repair tech said that the 1.03 phones were actually beta phones for testing and that when the testing was done they were supposed to have been shipped back to palm for reflashing. Not sure that is exactly right but that is what he said.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Why cant they just release the 1.04and let you all flash to update it?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I wish i could answer that but one thing i can assure you is that there are a lot i mean a lot of version 1.03's out there. To be honest i know more people with the 1.03 version than the 1.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    If some of the 1.03 phones are stolen, they need to be returned. You can't keep a stolen phone. It's not yours, even though you may have paid somebody for it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If some of the 1.03 phones are stolen, they need to be returned. You can't keep a stolen phone. It's not yours, even though you may have paid somebody for it.
    Where did the "stolen" myth start?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    You're correct.

I thought sprint was handling warranty work for palm?

At any rate, palm states (at least the reps that I spoke to) that you can take the 1.03 versions to sprint and have them flashed.... but I'd guess the flash is not available based on posts on this forum...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Sprint tracks the stolen phones by the ESN, not the firmware version. All they need to do is flag the "stolen" phones ESN, and then they can't even be activated, no matter where the buyer got them. Maybe Sprint and Palm aren't on the same page about what to use to determine what phones to warranty, either the serial number or the firmware version.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yes if either sotlen or some kind of

Sprint does track stolen phone numbers but not always and this is really only used for handsets reported stolen by the users,. it is not clear if this would happen in a bulk stolen group or the more likely case a bulk group that got diverted or reported written down as lost and already claimed on insurance or as a tax writedown, in which case they may just prefer to forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    It is no myth that Palm reported to the SEC and its stockholders that it had five million dollars worth of handsets stolen in February. It is there on their financial filings from last month, whether it is treo pros or these treo pros is unkown. If it were Pre we would know. IThat makes it a bunch of centros or a bunch or Pros.

It may not be Pros, or these ebay Pros are stolen, but the possibility that they are stolen is higher on the probability list than normal because Palm reported five million dollars in new handsets stolen just before these hit the market
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I said, "if" they were stolen. Just read through the thread. Maybe they were lost. Maybe there is another issue.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Sprint tracks the stolen phones by the ESN, not the firmware version. All they need to do is flag the "stolen" phones ESN, and then they can't even be activated, no matter where the buyer got them. Maybe Sprint and Palm aren't on the same page about what to use to determine what phones to warranty, either the serial number or the firmware version.
    Flagging a million or two million stolen phones would be a bit complex and not necessarily done immediately.

Here is what we know for facts:
    • $5 million in Palm handsets stolen from Palm while in the hands of a distributor or HTC in or around January or February.
    • It is not a certainty but good possiblity thsse were Pros given the Pro delay and we know they were not Pre.
    • $5 million at Palms cost basis is probably 1.5 million handsets give or take 500,000 if Pro.

Palm had received no insurance payment for the loss a month later meaning it is possibly still being investigated and the insurance company may expect some portion to be recovered .

For all we know the insurance company recovered 1.3 million out of 1.5 million stolen (what ever the cost basis is on $5 million dollars for Palm) and it all needs a lot of sorting out that could take six months.

We are talking about the biggest if not one of the biggest handsets thefts in history. It was a theft of Palm right at the time of the delay of the Pro distribution. It not a certainty that it is related but it is a very real possiblity.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Here is what we know for facts:
    [LIST][*]$5 million in Palm handsets stolen from Palm while in the hands of a distributor or HTC in or around January or February.
    Aero, that is not a "fact". All we know is what Palm said so far on the issue:
    Our GAAP reporting also reflects a $5.0 million casualty loss in Q3 from a theft which occurred at one of our third-party operated warehouses.
    We don't know what was stolen (phones, accessories, or which phones)

So lets not assume that "one to two million" phones were stolen, that they were all Sprint, that they all have ESN numbers, they were all phones (and not accessories)--unless you have evidence to say otherwise.

Because honestly, I highly, highly doubt there are a "million" Sprint Treo Pros.

Plus I don't think it would take long to flag "a million" phones. They obviously already "flagged" quite a few 1.03s. Why would this be any harder?

Yes, it may be related but until we actually know anything, I don't see the point in speculating or dwelling on the issue too much.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Aero, that is not a "fact". All we know is what Palm said so far on the issue:

We don't know what was stolen (phones, accessories, or which phones)

So lets not assume that "one to two million" phones were stolen, that they were all Sprint, that they all have ESN numbers, they were all phones (and not accessories)--unless you have evidence to say otherwise.

Because honestly, I highly, highly doubt there are a "million" Sprint Treo Pros.

Plus I don't think it would take long to flag "a million" phones. They obviously already "flagged" quite a few 1.03s. Why would this be any harder?

Yes, it may be related but until we actually know anything, I don't see the point in speculating or dwelling on the issue too much.
    Exactly and if they knew enough to flag it as no warranty if it was indeed stolen, why wouldn't they notify Sprint and have the ESN's turned off so that they can't be activated. The funny thing is people who have TEP are covered under the insurance if something goes wrong with the phone due to the fact that your insurance covers your phone number and not the actual phone itself. And as long as Sprint told you its ok to activate your 1.03 how can they then tell you later that you cannot get it replaced if you have TEP. I mean someone could just simple argue then you shouldn't have allowed me to activate it in the first place if you knew this would be an issue. For common sense purposes why would Sprint knowingly activate and cover a stolen phone. That would be against the law and could be a huge lawsuit if this was the case. And if they didn't know it was stolen then they cannot deny you services because just like they didn't know it was stolen how could you when they are the ones responsible for notifying a customer if a phone is stolen or has a bad ESN #. All this stuff makes no sense because we don't know whats going on. But i guess if you have to absolutely get this phone knowing everything going on and it's a 1.03 version the smart thing would be to make sure you have TEP covering you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast