Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hello,
    After REALLY searching the forums and getting everyone's take on hosted exchange systems, I have come up with a few questions about any user experience with using Seven Beta consumer edition.

1) Can you just enter Seven's server address in ActiveSync to configure a server, or do you have to download software from Seven and it installs as an additional program on the device?

2) the International SMS alerts the site talks about that your device sends out, is that only for configuring the account on first setup, or is your device constantly sending out SMS alerts to their server on a regular basis?

So far I have checked out the following hosted and sync services and not too impressed.

Mail2Web - I was using the free service then received a email of a 4.99 fee. This worked good if I had my three other personal emails forwarded to the mail2web address, but if I replied to someone using one of the personal emails, it would show the mail2web address. With the 4.99 service they state you can change this, but I think if you change it, all of the accounts will show what you changed it to rather than individual "from" settings from each one of your personal accounts showing their correct reply-to address . Could be wrong.. let me know The nice thing about this service, it utilized the activesync program on the device and all emails would show in "Outlook Email"

1and1 - This service seems to have the same limitations as Mail2Web in that your replied emails from the personal accounts have the 1and1 address showing in the From section. Also, there seems to be no way after talking to support last night around 11pm (still waiting for response), that you cannot just enter their server address in ActiveSync to get your email, you HAVE to download their small app in order to make it work.

MobiPush - This really looked like what I wanted, except for the fact of the From address problem, but I was willing to put up with it for free and use the ActiveSync program without additional software. Too bad it seems this service has been left to dry. Any updates on the homepage stopped in early 2008 and under the support page the Pop3 and Imap synchronization services have been down for a few months from what it looks like in the feedback.

FlexMail - This looks like a separate email app as well, not sure if this is what I'm looking for, any feedback would be appreciated.

Seven Beta - This is the one app I haven't used yet and will wait for feeback on the above questions.

I came from being a Blackberry User where this was just so easy logging in to the carrier's Blackberry Internet Service site (BIS) and configuring all of your personal accounts to be pushed to the device.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

housej55
    I have used 4smartphone for almost 5 years.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by housej55 View Post

1) Can you just enter Seven's server address in ActiveSync to configure a server, or do you have to download software from Seven and it installs as an additional program on the device?
    I have SEVEN installed on my phone. I use Outlook Web Access and you must install a cab on your phone for that. SEVEN works pretty well for me, but since it is a beta program, there can be outages like all last weekend and part of Monday.

Bill
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Is that cab file another email interface or does it utilize your ActiveSync program to get the email and put it in a separate folder?

Quote Originally Posted by wmadan View Post
    I have SEVEN installed on my phone. I use Outlook Web Access and you must install a cab on your phone for that. SEVEN works pretty well for me, but since it is a beta program, there can be outages like all last weekend and part of Monday.

Bill
    mail2web for some time now, happy with it. I forward all accounts there and then i have them setup seperately via imap for replies.
    Put SherWeb in your group....

I use sherweb for my exchange account and my other "personal" accounts I use imap... that solves my issues with multiple accounts.

I don't see a reason to combine the accounts, or at least that is not how I like to manage my accounts... nothing wrong with doing it your way though... if you can get it to work.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Seven has the best gmail integration of any of the third party pushes.

Especially when it comes to sending of email (puts it in the right folders)

For the most part, it is stable, but there are outages. Not a big deal to pull up the gmail java app when that happens, or Iris and "iphone gmail"
    I love Seven beta and as noted it works great with Gmail. However, I would not use it for business purposes as it will go down once or twice every month for up to a day or even longer.

Exchange is killer but it comes at a cost. My company has exchange so I use that for business and it nevers misses a beat.

The international TM with Seven is only when adding a new account. One time per email address.

-LA
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I love Seven beta and as noted it works great with Gmail. However, I would not use it for business purposes as it will go down once or twice every month for up to a day or even longer.

-LA
    What Les said-
    I had tried SEVEN several times on my 700wx and it sucked the life out of it- both times I dumped it within hours, but the latest version on the TREO Pro is perfect- except for the outages (it is in beta after all)- I have my email accounts set up on the pro to be pulled, and normally I have it set to manual delivery- when SEVEN went out (last weekend) I just change it to pick up mail every 15 minutes, and then switch it back to manual as soon as I saw SEVEN working again- not too much of an inconvenience for the ability to use an otherwise great (and for now-free) service. I did notice that during the outage my battery juice was hemorrhaging - my assumption is that the app was desperately trying to connect to something- and bleeding me dry- as soon as the system was back up, my battery life went back to normal.

The other thing about SEVEN is that it syncs with google calendar (and contacts)- and updates in real time changes made on the treo including notes added- this is probably what should make it the killer app once it gets out of beta-

Mark
    I use mail2web and pay for the $4.99/mo every year srvcs and have had it for almost 3 yrs. Mail2web is the bomb.

The personal exchange account with mail2web comes with an additional IMAP setting that you can configure to use with your home PC. I use my MS outlook at home and can see all my folders and on my Treo Pro I use mail2web's exchange active sync acct. and it works great, no complaints.

I also have 2 additional email accounts (bellsouth wife & mine) that I used the aggregation feature to consolidate additional email accts into one mail box. I not only receive my mail2web email in the same exchange account, but also two aggregated email accts and they are all pushed into my inbox.