Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bit the bullet and bought a Pro off Ebay last night. I'm looking for a player that will play my audio books which means it will have to play protected WMA files. I know Pocket Tunes will, but will Core Player? Anyone know?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Karen
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I was a big core player friend BUT after kinoma am hook, Kinoma player is the way to go...
    For audio books, Kinoma is probably not the best, because it can't bookmark and sometimes when going back to listen to the remainder of a book it does not always start where you left off.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    For audio books, Kinoma is probably not the best, because it can't bookmark and sometimes when going back to listen to the remainder of a book it does not always start where you left off.
    Kinoma Play does both -- it automatically bookmarks when you stop listening, and then automatically continues from where you left off.

This works with all audio content, so you can try it with a podcast to see how it works.

(thekarens: I'm afraid Kinoma Play doesn't support DRM-encrypted WMA. It does support Audible's DRM, though.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  7.    #7  
    Unfortunately I need the encrypted WMA as that's what my library offers. I used to use Audible, but it got to be too expensive. Thanks for the info though!
    I think someone else explained the issue of Kinoma and bookmarks better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It does ... sort of. When you re-open the book through My Media Files or History it will sometimes open at the right place. For some reason after a certain amount of other use, full exits, soft resets it no longer opens to the correct place. Sometimes it will open at the beginning sometimes it will open at another place you left off during a previous session. The same thing would happen using Audibles software on other devices. Thats why it was so important to always make a bookmark before you closed the book.
    I've found Kinoma does just that with music files too. I'm sure for Kinoma representatives, it works perfectly, but not so perfectly for many of us who have been using it.
    Another option is PocketMusic. Been playing DRM WMA on it for years and it supports bookmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Another option is PocketMusic. Been playing DRM WMA on it for years and it supports bookmarks.
    Yea, and here's something from that product's user's guide, which explains how a user can create their own bookmarks.

Bookmarks

The Bookmarks feature is great if you are listening to audio books, recorded lectures, DJ sets, radio programs, etc. A bookmark marks the current location in the current audio file and lets you return immediately to it.

Go to Player Menu and choose Bookmarks. Then tap Bookmark Current Position to create a new bookmark. You can also map a hardware button for this action.
    That does not exist in Kinoma.

The great thing about being able to set bookmarks. Is that even after you're beyond that point in the book, if you ever want to let a friend hear the statements from that particular section of the audio book. You can just playback from your previously set bookmark.
    WOW, PocketMusic supports 320x320 now? I will have to go back to that! When I got my pro, because PocketMusic did not support 320x320, I purchased both Kimora and CorePlayer. CorePlayer is definitely the best for streaming as it's buffer control is far Superior to Kimora. Around Scottsdale AZ I get about a 1/2 dozen buffer pauses in a 20 minute drive. On CorePlayer I do not.

I am sorry I don't know if it will play protected WMA. If there was a way I could test it I would be happy to do so for you?

-D
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    WOW, PocketMusic supports 320x320 now? I will have to go back to that! When I got my pro, because PocketMusic did not support 320x320, I purchased both Kimora and CorePlayer. CorePlayer is definitely the best for streaming as it's buffer control is far Superior to Kimora. Around Scottsdale AZ I get about a 1/2 dozen buffer pauses in a 20 minute drive. On CorePlayer I do not.

I am sorry I don't know if it will play protected WMA. If there was a way I could test it I would be happy to do so for you?

-D
    Yep, here is a screenshot on my STP.

Yep, here is a screenshot on my STP.

But don't you have to buy the Pocketmusic Bundle to get support for playing WMA files? The website implies that the free version only plays mp3's.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsPalm View Post
    But don't you have to buy the Pocketmusic Bundle to get support for playing WMA files? The website implies that the free version only plays mp3's.
    Yes, it's not free, but neither is Core player or PocketPlayer or PocketTunes. The only free player that plays DRM WMA that I know of is WMP.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I'm sure for Kinoma representatives, it works perfectly, but not so perfectly for many of us who have been using it.
    There don't appear to be any bug reports about it from customers, and (along with internal testing) that's our barometer for how well features are working.

If it's not working for you, it's really important that you contact our support folks with details. Whenever we find a reproducible issue, we're pretty aggressive about fixing it in an update.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Are there any updates for Kinoma in the pipeline? I would like to see updates regarding excluding items/folders from being scanned (a feature I've seen requested on your own forums) and for the option of getting rid of some file associations (like pictures).

Does Pocket Music support displaying album art?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Does Pocket Music support displaying album art?
    It does not at least with the default skins.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What did you get that Pocket Music interface? Mine didnt look like that.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    What did you get that Pocket Music interface? Mine didnt look like that.
    http://www.pocketmind.com/files/pmusic.exe

Install from your pc. When I downloaded the cab it wasn't the latest. The pc installer is the latest.
    For the Green Skin you have to go to:
    Menu > Player Settings > Select PocketMusic Skin > Green.

The new settings menu is much more Finger Friendly. Too bad the file list is still so small. At least it is fully functional from the D Pad.

-D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast