1.    #1  
    I have a quick question. I'm buying my Pro today and I was wondering if there is an advantage to going with any particular version.

I.E. I saw a comparison chart that showed that the Sprint version had more available memory than the unlocked one.

Has anyone confirmed that yet? Thanks in advance!
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    The Sprint version has more storage memory (ROM), but the unlocked GSM version has more available working memory (RAM). Almost twice as much.

They both have 128MB RAM built-in, but the Sprint version typically only has about 40-45MB available with no programs running while the unlocked GSM has around 80MB IIRC.
  3. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    The unlocked version is GSM and will not work with Sprint, if that is what you were thinking of doing.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    Also, the Sprint version has a processor that runs at 528MHz, but the GSM version has a processor that only runs at 400MHz.

Despite the Sprint version having less free program memory (and that's because the Sprint version has a newer version of Pocket IE), nobody using the Sprint Treo Pro has claimed they ever had problems because of it. Everything they run at once has been fine.

The processor speed is a major difference IMHO and I think the Sprint version with a processor clocked at 528MHz makes it better. Plus, with that newer version of Pocket IE, the Sprint Treo Pro can do video sites like YouTube out of the box.
    I have only had my Treo Pro since Saturday (but I am by no means new to PocktPCs and Windows Mobile, have had sometype of PocketPC since 2001 time frame).
    As far as the memory on the Sprint Treo Pro, I don't see any negative issues with it. Everything I run, runs and runs good.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Also, the Sprint version has a processor that runs at 528MHz, but the GSM version has a processor that only runs at 400MHz.

Despite the Sprint version having less free program memory (and that's because the Sprint version has a newer version of Pocket IE), nobody using the Sprint Treo Pro has claimed they ever had problems because of it. Everything they run at once has been fine.

The processor speed is a major difference IMHO and I think the Sprint version with a processor clocked at 528MHz makes it better. Plus, with that newer version of Pocket IE, the Sprint Treo Pro can do video sites like YouTube out of the box.
    Can you quantify the performance difference between the Sprint Treo Pro and the GSM version due to the higher-clocked processor on the STP? Are there any benchmarks or comparisons or is this just opinion? The 400mhz processor seems to be cited as a negative at times, but it's not like the phone lags or bogs down because of it. There are far more references to memory issues on the STP.

The GSM Treo Pro does Youtube, and other video sites, out of the box as well. It includes the HTC Streaming Media application which launches whenever you play a video. The GSM Treo Pro is excellent at video applications, especially SlingPlayer Mobile.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
  7.    #7  
    Thank you guys! I just got home from the sprint store and I'm playing with the new phone right now.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    One other difference, that is MAJOR although probably not recognized as such, is that the GSM Treo Pro runs an older build of Windows Mobile 6.1 (CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)) than the Sprint Treo Pro (CE OS 5.2.20765 (Build 20765.1.4.4)).

Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Can you quantify the performance difference between the Sprint Treo Pro and the GSM version due to the higher-clocked processor on the STP? Are there any benchmarks or comparisons or is this just opinion?

It is a documented and tested fact, that the GSM Treo Pro's processor comes in lower in benchmark testing than even the Treo 800w.
    The processor in the Sprint Treo Pro is the exact same processor that is in the Sprint Touch Pro and testing has shown that processor gets a much higher CPU benchmark score than the Treo 800w. (In those results I did the Touch Pro testing myself the same night I pulled the Touch Pro out of the box. Zbop was kind enough to post it.)

The 400mhz processor seems to be cited as a negative at times, but it's not like the phone lags or bogs down because of it.
    That would depend on usage.

There are far more references to memory issues on the STP.
    There have been stated concerns when seeing what is free in program memory, nobody has actually stated they had a problem or issue with running anything. The faster processor has been found to pick up things well enough, that people have run various multiple applications with no problem.

The GSM Treo Pro reviews always mentioned that device was not very "snappy", while the CDMA Treo Pro is described as being "snappy".

And I'm prodding Sprint Treo Pro owners to participate in the benchmark testing thread, so we have full results. Someone will have to transcribe their results from their device by hand, because the SPB online utility that makes the graphs has been down for a while.

The GSM Treo Pro does Youtube, and other video sites, out of the box as well. It includes the HTC Streaming Media application which launches whenever you play a video. The GSM Treo Pro is excellent at video applications, especially SlingPlayer Mobile.
    You are correct. I forgot about the GSM version has the HTC streaming media player. The GSM version has Opera Mobile as well, while the Sprint (CDMA) version has Pocket IE 6 with flash.

Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post
    Thank you guys! I just got home from the sprint store and I'm playing with the new phone right now.
    Congratulations!
    One other difference, that is MAJOR although probably not recognized as such, is that the GSM Treo Pro runs an older build of Windows Mobile 6.1 (CE OS 5.2.19216 (Build 19216.1.0.5)) than the Sprint Treo Pro (CE OS 5.2.20765 (Build 20765.1.4.4)).

It is a documented and tested fact, that the GSM Treo Pro's processor comes in lower in benchmark testing than even the Treo 800w.
    The processor in the Sprint Treo Pro is the exact same processor that is in the Sprint Touch Pro and testing has shown that processor gets a much higher CPU benchmark score than the Treo 800w. (In those results I did the Touch Pro testing myself the same night I pulled the Touch Pro out of the box. Zbop was kind enough to post it.)

That would depend on usage.

There have been stated concerns when seeing what is free in program memory, nobody has actually stated they had a problem or issue with running anything. The faster processor has been found to pick up things well enough, that people have run various multiple applications with no problem.

The GSM Treo Pro reviews always mentioned that device was not very "snappy", while the CDMA Treo Pro is described as being "snappy".

And I'm prodding Sprint Treo Pro owners to participate in the benchmark testing thread, so we have full results. Someone will have to transcribe their results from their device by hand, because the SPB online utility that makes the graphs has been down for a while.

You are correct. I forgot about the GSM version has the HTC streaming media player. The GSM version has Opera Mobile as well, while the Sprint (CDMA) version has Pocket IE 6 with flash.

Congratulations!

How about a real head-to head comparison between the GSM and CDMA version rather than proxies? Obviously the GSM version has lower clock speed and will benchmark lower in a CPU test, but so what? How about real world usage?

And here's the quote from the site you cited with the benchmark results on the GTP:

"Despite having a somewhat low amount of RAM (~100MB), the Treo Pro does very well in terms of performance. Even under heavy multitasking, the device remained responsive, and I only had to soft reset once during several days of use. Good job on performance, Palm."

That doesn't sound like "not snappy" to me.

I respect your knowledge but you make sweeping statements based on proxy devices or opinion.

Citing "snappy" vs "not snappy" from a review isn't exactly proof that the higher clock speed of the CDMA Sprint Treo Pro makes up for the lower available memory in real world usage, especially with the noted slowness of IE6 on the STP. I find the GTP to be plenty "snappy," but that's just my opinion.

My GTP did not come with Opera - it came with PIE.
    Last edited by dwboston; 04/06/2009 at 04:02 PM.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    There have been stated concerns when seeing what is free in program memory, nobody has actually stated they had a problem or issue with running anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by sesosfritos View Post
    the only real memory issue i've had is while running Opera Mobile 9.5. twice i've gotten a "not enough memory" message from the program.
    The caveat here is that WM6.1 manages memory pretty well (in comparison to WM6 and WM5), so what happens is certain apps that are idle in the background will close out naturally--not while in use where a "problem" may be observed, but silently. Basically you need to keep a running list of what you have opened and running and see how that fluctuates over a few hours/days. It's a bit tedious but really the only way to see if WM6.1 is closing out apps on you.

Stacking heavy apps like Skype, Opera, WMWiFi Router while having a shell UI replacement, you will quickly deplete your RAM. But, like I said it rarely interferes with what you are doing at the moment.

The two exceptions seem to be Opera Mobile and IE6, which both can suck down a lot of RAM in certain situations and cause errors/poor performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    How about a real head-to head comparison between the GSM and CDMA version rather than proxies? Obviously the GSM version has lower clock speed and will benchmark lower in a CPU test, but so what? How about real world usage?
    I pretty much agree. Looking at benchmarks is sort of interesting but rarely tells you how the device actually operates, which is much more subjective. Using the Treo Pro at 528mhz doesn't exactly blow the doors off of any WinMo device out there--I mean it's nice, but hardly awe-inspiring/game changing.

Doing a head-to-head would be a good idea via video.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/06/2009 at 04:11 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well who is better suited to do the side by side comparisons than reviewers here at TC or WME?

Let me know when the report is posted .

I think it will only bear out what the benchmarks already show, but if I'm wrong, let the test results tell the tale. I await the results.
    Well who is better suited to do the side by side comparisons than reviewers here at TC or WME?

Let me know when the report is posted .
    (1) No one at TC or WME has a Sprint Treo Pro

(2) There isn't much interest, generally speaking, in such a head to head--TC users mostly care about Centro/Pre news; WME users care more about HTC/Samsung news.
    Well the OP already made their choice anyway and the available data shows it was a good one.