Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    so, are we going to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    craigslist shopping i go. thanks zbop and mal.

any other testers out there?
    I'm keeping a close eye on this thread also.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    so, are we going to do this?
    do what?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I have noticed that if I am in an area, usually at home, where my signal drops to 1X that often my phone will ring but when I answer it there is no connection made. If the caller calls me right back then it works correctly. Also, my wife complains very often that when I am at home that she calls and it goes straight to voicemail and I have not had my phone ring nor do I get any notification. Yet, during this time I am able to place calls without any static and also am able to open a data connection without any trouble. Would the steps outlined by Z fix my issue? If so will the tools and directions be made available in this thread? Thanks for all of your help.
    Also, I noticed that when using ##DEBUG# that on I believe the CHANNEL line it would fluctuate between SLEEP MODE, 1X and EVDO. Is this an issue?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    First things first, kiddies don't try this at home, Mal is a professional.

You can use the same drivers as the 800w, but you should get a newer version of QPST (build 301), so that it will recognize the phone properly, it will show up as a SURF7500A.

It's the usual stuff:
    ##DIAG#
    Connect USB
    Start up Service Programming (QPST)
    Select the comm port/phone; should be SURF7500A
    Read from phone
    Enter MSL

I should note that I haven't tried writing to the phone using the Service Programming component of QPST yet. For that, I have been using the on-phone PST (##PST#).

At this point, if everything seems okay, then on your PC, start up "RF NV Item Manager".
    Click File -> Read From Phone. If that doesn't work, you can try Setting -> Comport and select the same port you used in QPST.
    First save the settings to QCN format or textfile (I did both):

File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to QCN
    File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to Text

Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I

I'm not sure if your values will be the same, mine were { 1980, 2660, 2222, 2911 }
    On the 800w, my values are { 3229, 3362, 3074, 3326 }

After you've edited those values, select File -> Write Changed Items to Phone.
    Then do a File -> Read From Phone, and go back and verify the modified values are there.
    Disconnect and Soft-reset.

FWIW, it's entire possible that there is no difference and that I was imagining it, but the behavior seemed consistent to me. But my method for blocking and testing my signal isn't (consistent), so you would be a better test.

Also, I'm pretty sure that changing select values this way is not uhh, entirely kosher. There is alot of complex math involved in setting up these values and many of the parameters stored in NVRAM are interdependent. I think when the engineers first tune the programming for a phone model, they use tools to measure signals, input some values based on carrier specs, and the rest are generated using formulas. So even if this happens to work, there are probably more things that need to be tweaked or fixed. If anyone reading this is a CDMA RF engineer, now would be the time to speak up...
    I can't get the QPST program to recognize my Treo Pro. I have active sync running. Are there any other drivers or tricks?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I figured out my problem. I didn't have the com port I was using available within the QPST Configuration program (different program than the Service Programming). I had to add the com port from the Settings tab.

I made the changes to the thresholds. Hopefully they will improve my missed call problem. It's really bad at work. I'll check it out tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    First things first, kiddies don't try this at home, Mal is a professional.

You can use the same drivers as the 800w, but you should get a newer version of QPST (build 301), so that it will recognize the phone properly, it will show up as a SURF7500A.

It's the usual stuff:
    ##DIAG#
    Connect USB
    Start up Service Programming (QPST)
    Select the comm port/phone; should be SURF7500A
    Read from phone
    Enter MSL

I should note that I haven't tried writing to the phone using the Service Programming component of QPST yet. For that, I have been using the on-phone PST (##PST#).

At this point, if everything seems okay, then on your PC, start up "RF NV Item Manager".
    Click File -> Read From Phone. If that doesn't work, you can try Setting -> Comport and select the same port you used in QPST.
    First save the settings to QCN format or textfile (I did both):

File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to QCN
    File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to Text

Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I

I'm not sure if your values will be the same, mine were { 1980, 2660, 2222, 2911 }
    On the 800w, my values are { 3229, 3362, 3074, 3326 }

After you've edited those values, select File -> Write Changed Items to Phone.
    Then do a File -> Read From Phone, and go back and verify the modified values are there.
    Disconnect and Soft-reset.

FWIW, it's entire possible that there is no difference and that I was imagining it, but the behavior seemed consistent to me. But my method for blocking and testing my signal isn't (consistent), so you would be a better test.

Also, I'm pretty sure that changing select values this way is not uhh, entirely kosher. There is alot of complex math involved in setting up these values and many of the parameters stored in NVRAM are interdependent. I think when the engineers first tune the programming for a phone model, they use tools to measure signals, input some values based on carrier specs, and the rest are generated using formulas. So even if this happens to work, there are probably more things that need to be tweaked or fixed. If anyone reading this is a CDMA RF engineer, now would be the time to speak up...
    I am experiencing a couple of issues with the threshold fix. It seems that the phone will now "receive" the calls I was missing in those areas where signal strength was low. However, the ringer (either audible, vibrate or both) isn't working. I have done a soft reset several times and checked in the system settings to make sure they were set correctly. Any ideas? I do get audible/vibrate alerts for missed calls.

Also, the signal strength indicator on the home screen seems to show "less bars" than before. I realize this isn't a big thing, but are the number of bars shown calculated as a percentage or multiple of the thresholds that were changed?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by js0012 View Post
    I am experiencing a couple of issues with the threshold fix. It seems that the phone will now "receive" the calls I was missing in those areas where signal strength was low. However, the ringer (either audible, vibrate or both) isn't working. I have done a soft reset several times and checked in the system settings to make sure they were set correctly. Any ideas? I do get audible/vibrate alerts for missed calls.
    I haven't had any problems in that regard.

perhaps to a Sprite backup, hard reset and then try, just to rule out other causes?

the settings done for the hack will survive even a hard reset.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    OK I did a search and my problem wasn't necessarily caused by the threshold changes. I found this post discussion.treocentral.com/treo-750/142453-missed-phone-calls-phone-doesnt-ring-2.html which desribes the "bug" i was experiencing. I didn't use the cab file to fix the problem. I just made the registry edit.
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your hard work. I did try to do the steps with QPST but QPST does not recognize my STP. I'm missing calls and I don't get any bars in my house. With my 800W I have full signal. Can anybody post the steps to change the threshold?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    See my post from the other day. You probably need to make sure to add the correct com port setting with the QPST Configuration software. I believe my STP was using com5. Once I added the com port, the QPST software worked fine. zbop's instructions were easy to follow other than the com port issue I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I haven't had any problems in that regard.

perhaps to a Sprite backup, hard reset and then try, just to rule out other causes?

the settings done for the hack will survive even a hard reset.
    Well Mal, you've had this for around a week now, what say you?

Would you recommend this to others who are missing calls due to weak signal?

If so, I'll plagiarize one of Ebag's previous posts for QPST and post up a better set of instructions...
    Well Mal, you've had this for around a week now, what say you?

Would you recommend this to others who are missing calls due to weak signal?
    Highly recommended. Have not noticed any "odd" behavior at all with the changes and yet I get all my calls now.

Did this on 2 Treo Pros and will be doing it on 2 more this week.
    Does this symptom arise in both 1.03 and 1.04 firmware Treo's?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Highly recommended. Have not noticed any "odd" behavior at all with the changes and yet I get all my calls now.

Did this on 2 Treo Pros and will be doing it on 2 more this week.
    Thanks, I'll post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Does this symptom arise in both 1.03 and 1.04 firmware Treo's?
    I would imagine so... probably need to pull the NVRAM values from a 1.03 rev phone to be sure.
    I would imagine so... probably need to pull the NVRAM values from a 1.03 rev phone to be sure.
    Already verified (but forgot to mention): present in both versions.

In the post above where I report the values for yours, mine and a friend's, the friend's was a 1.03 device.
    @ Malatesta -

Everything still good? I've had the STP turned off sitting at home a couple of weeks now, wouldn't mind bringing it back into play until June 6th when my company buy's me the Pre.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Just to add another data point. The threshold fix has been working great for me for the past 6 days... I had an issue similar to Mal's at my office. This fix seems to have fixed it and I have not seen any side effects yet. Seems to be a win win win....
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast