Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    so, should i get the pro or it has the same amount of missed calls/dropped calls/going directly to voicemail issue as the treo 800?
    It's tough...this might be a different issue.

Maybe it just doesn't report signal strength very well, or it is just weak for reception. It's weird cause I can make outgoing calls, but incoming are just hosed. The 800w in the same situation would receive calls.

I have 2 STPs here now and both are doing this, so it is something with signal/reception. Very weird. I just think it has crappy reception.

Other than that, it's nice, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It will be interesting to see if this same thread pops up in the Pre section, once it's released.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No change. I have like a 95% failure rate for missing calls at work. I can basically guarantee it won't ring. Really lame.

Not registry. Under dialpad ##778# and with your MSL you an probably change this.

Though even under 1x I can have this happen.
    Yikes, 95%?!

Mal, not saying I don't believe you, but my experience has been quite the opposite. I haven't been missing any calls despite the fact that signal reception near my home is spotty and it frequently cycles between 1x/EVDO with Activesync push turned on. This used to cause my 800w fits and I would miss calls, but it hasn't affected any of the STPs I've owned (I'm on my 3rd now).

Mind you, I don't get 100 calls a day, but I actually tried to manually reproduce this issue while I was in my 30-day window to see if it was a problem and I wasn't able to...
    well I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anything changes but for now, I'm putting down the STP.

My company pays for the STP and I pay for my blackberry so I'm just going to have my BB put back on the BES server so my emails come to it and i will forward all the calls from my STP to my BB and leave the STP sitting at home. I cannot afford to miss calls, just 1 missed call is unacceptable.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yikes, 95%?!

Mal, not saying I don't believe you, but my experience has been quite the opposite. I haven't been missing any calls despite the fact that signal reception near my home is spotty and it frequently cycles between 1x/EVDO with Activesync push turned on. This used to cause my 800w fits and I would miss calls, but it hasn't affected any of the STPs I've owned (I'm on my 3rd now).

Mind you, I don't get 100 calls a day, but I actually tried to manually reproduce this issue while I was in my 30-day window to see if it was a problem and I wasn't able to...
    Yeah, it's one of the few places where I can sit and test it for a few hours/has a landline to call from.

Basically I just call my phone up randomly and watch as it goes straight to voicemail. I can make calls, send emails, receive SMS, but incoming calls are usually missed. Only time they go through is if I cycle the radio or soft-reset.

Maybe it is just due to poor reception and this phone has a higher threshold for signal strength. I'm going to see if I can pick up an Airave for work today and see if that helps.

I can't really say if this happens elsewhere as I don't have the ability to control calls as much. Will see how the Airave goes.

Edit: This may be a clue...something is going on here. Zbop, what do you think? These are under "Invalid Registry Values". Seems something is wonky with the radio--this doesn't happen on the 800w.

Something is definitely wonky, either your signal is low enough that it's just below the threshold, or there is something about this problem that is specific to a local phone network or tower.

I think the bad registry entries are a red herring. I checked my registry and I have the same entries. SKtools 4.4.1.1 doesn't flag those same entries as bad, maybe you're using an older version? From the looks of it, it is simply flagging those registry values because they all happen to contain a "[" in the string.

When you get a chance, can you check your signal strength and report back, just want to compare to see how bad it is...

##DEBUG#

should be in 1X by default, check:
    Rx Power
    Rx Ec/Io

then switch to HDR and check:
    Rx Signal Strength
    Rx Power

Sorta watch it over the course of a minute or two and see how much it fluctuates.
    Hey zbop, sorry for taking so long...here're my numbers:
    Code:
    1x
    Rx Power = -101dbm
    Rx Ec/Io = -15.5db

HDR
    Rx Signal Strength = 110-112db
    Rx Power = -104.50db  (range -97 to -105)
    My phone has "zero bars" at this point, but I can make calls, check and receive email, get SMS, etc.

I then called my phone...no answer :-/

Now if I walked outside (100ft) where I get 1-2 bars I can receive calls. This was just moments after the above test with nothing changed.

So this straight up just poor reception in comparison to say my 800w--or rather the threshold that phone has for accepting an incoming call may be higher than it should (I can talk on the phone when I make an outgoing call in the same area that I can't receive).

I spent 40 mins at a Sprint store to pick up an Airave only to be told they can no longer service SERO accounts and I have to call Sprint directly. Gah.

I was having the same issues I hard reset my phone started installing software and it happened again. It was RealVGA you must keep the disable phone skin box unchecked. if it is checked the phone does not ring, and the screen does not lock in calls. very weird behavior. you can actually notice the phone signal strength icon at the top change to a phone on an incoming call, but you cant answer it.
    Hey zbop, sorry for taking so long...here're my numbers:
    Code:
    1x
    Rx Power = -101dbm
    Rx Ec/Io = -15.5db

HDR
    Rx Signal Strength = 110-112db
    Rx Power = -104.50db  (range -97 to -105)
    My phone has "zero bars" at this point, but I can make calls, check and receive email, get SMS, etc.

I then called my phone...no answer :-/

Now if I walked outside (100ft) where I get 1-2 bars I can receive calls. This was just moments after the above test with nothing changed.

So this straight up just poor reception in comparison to say my 800w--or rather the threshold that phone has for accepting an incoming call may be higher than it should (I can talk on the phone when I make an outgoing call in the same area that I can't receive).

I spent 40 mins at a Sprint store to pick up an Airave only to be told they can no longer service SERO accounts and I have to call Sprint directly. Gah.
    Wow, so it looks like a simple issue of signal strength; I think I am just above the threshold, and you are just below it. My numbers vary quite a bit depending on where I am in my house and what the conditions are, but worst case for me is:

1x
    Rx Power = -98dbm
    Rx Ec/Io = -9.5db

HDR
    Rx Signal Strength = 101db
    Rx Power = -99db

I intentionally tried to make my condition worse by doing a little signal "shaping" with some aluminum foil and I start to miss calls around:
    1x Rx Power: -105dbm
    1x Rx Ec/Io: -15db

I don't think it's possible to improve your signal, but if you are able to dial out successfully and maintain calls without it dropping or breaking up, I think you can change the threshold where it ignores the incoming call.

I found some pointers to GSM parameters to do this, but unfortunately they don't exist on CDMA. However if you use the "RF NV Item Manager" component of QPST, I think the parameters of interest are the NV_C?_BC?_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I values. These are the Variable Gain Amplifier parameters for receive signal, but it's extremely difficult finding documentation on this stuff. By tweaking them to the same values as the 800w, I was able to receive calls consistently at the degraded signals listed above, and when I tweaked them the opposite direction (lower offset values), I could not get any calls under the same conditions. I also seemed to completely lose my ability to get an EVDO connection once I started monkeying with these values, but that may have been coincidental, hard to tell. It might be worth experimenting if you are uhhh, willing to take the risk.
    Wow, so it looks like a simple issue of signal strength; I think I am just above the threshold, and you are just below it. My numbers vary quite a bit depending on where I am in my house and what the conditions are, but worst case for me is:

1x
    Rx Power = -98dbm
    Rx Ec/Io = -9.5db

HDR
    Rx Signal Strength = 101db
    Rx Power = -99db

I intentionally tried to make my condition worse by doing a little signal "shaping" with some aluminum foil and I start to miss calls around:
    1x Rx Power: -105dbm
    1x Rx Ec/Io: -15db

I don't think it's possible to improve your signal, but if you are able to dial out successfully and maintain calls without it dropping or breaking up, I think you can change the threshold where it ignores the incoming call.

I found some pointers to GSM parameters to do this, but unfortunately they don't exist on CDMA. However if you use the "RF NV Item Manager" component of QPST, I think the parameters of interest are the NV_C?_BC?_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I values. These are the Variable Gain Amplifier parameters for receive signal, but it's extremely difficult finding documentation on this stuff. By tweaking them to the same values as the 800w, I was able to receive calls consistently at the degraded signals listed above, and when I tweaked them the opposite direction (lower offset values), I could not get any calls under the same conditions. I also seemed to completely lose my ability to get an EVDO connection once I started monkeying with these values, but that may have been coincidental, hard to tell. It might be worth experimenting if you are uhhh, willing to take the risk.
    Very cool info.

What are the drivers for QPST? Are they the same ones for the 800w? I hadn't used that program on the STP yet because of that question...

I'll certainly try to play around with them and I'll try to match the 800w's, probably on Sunday when I have some time to kill.

Very cool info.

What are the drivers for QPST? Are they the same ones for the 800w? I hadn't used that program on the STP yet because of that question...

I'll certainly try to play around with them and I'll try to match the 800w's, probably on Sunday when I have some time to kill.
    First things first, kiddies don't try this at home, Mal is a professional.

You can use the same drivers as the 800w, but you should get a newer version of QPST (build 301), so that it will recognize the phone properly, it will show up as a SURF7500A.

It's the usual stuff:
    ##DIAG#
    Connect USB
    Start up Service Programming (QPST)
    Select the comm port/phone; should be SURF7500A
    Read from phone
    Enter MSL

I should note that I haven't tried writing to the phone using the Service Programming component of QPST yet. For that, I have been using the on-phone PST (##PST#).

At this point, if everything seems okay, then on your PC, start up "RF NV Item Manager".
    Click File -> Read From Phone. If that doesn't work, you can try Setting -> Comport and select the same port you used in QPST.
    First save the settings to QCN format or textfile (I did both):

File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to QCN
    File -> Write Only Listed NV Items to Text

Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I

I'm not sure if your values will be the same, mine were { 1980, 2660, 2222, 2911 }
    On the 800w, my values are { 3229, 3362, 3074, 3326 }

After you've edited those values, select File -> Write Changed Items to Phone.
    Then do a File -> Read From Phone, and go back and verify the modified values are there.
    Disconnect and Soft-reset.

FWIW, it's entire possible that there is no difference and that I was imagining it, but the behavior seemed consistent to me. But my method for blocking and testing my signal isn't (consistent), so you would be a better test.

Also, I'm pretty sure that changing select values this way is not uhh, entirely kosher. There is alot of complex math involved in setting up these values and many of the parameters stored in NVRAM are interdependent. I think when the engineers first tune the programming for a phone model, they use tools to measure signals, input some values based on carrier specs, and the rest are generated using formulas. So even if this happens to work, there are probably more things that need to be tweaked or fixed. If anyone reading this is a CDMA RF engineer, now would be the time to speak up...
  12.    #92  
    I am watching this thread. You guys figure this out. I will buy TP tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Cody
    Now, there should be 4 values in NVRAM for gain offset:
    NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I

I'm not sure if your values will be the same, mine were { 1980, 2660, 2222, 2911 }
    On the 800w, my values are { 3229, 3362, 3074, 3326 }
    Okay, did the changes and will test now for the next few hours. Interestingly, after the soft reset and a first test call, in came in very fast (my SCI is 1)--now I almost always get the first call after a soft reset, so not too big of a deal, but it was faster than normal, so maybe...

On to the numbers. Yours are in the left, mine on the middle bolded, 800ws are on the right in red:

NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 1980 = 1926 = 3329
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2660 = 2403 = 3362
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2222 = 2208 = 3074
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2911 = 2690 = 3326

Odd how they are basically all lower than yours, especially the first and last. I changed them to your 800w numbers (left mine at home today, so can't verify if those were similar either).

btw, under the GPSOne settings...how weird is it that on the Treo Pro, all of those check boxes are enabled and the IPE/Server info is filled in but on the 800w, they were famously unchecked? Goes to show that those weren't dummy boxes but there for a reason, though I have no idea why there were unchecked on the 800w (licensing?)

Update 1: Weird. So far 4 for 4 on received incoming test calls and quality is still fine

Update 2: 6 for 6 so far on received random test calls from lan and cell--call quality is more than fine (no static), SMS and internet work too. So far this is all win-win.

This looks to be just shoddy programming on Sprint/HTC/Palm's end (and not a hardware related) as my call quality is great.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/18/2009 at 06:10 PM.

So far the "OMG, we have to hack Sprint's firmware to get the phone to ring" trick is working like a charm.

I've placed around 15 calls to the Treo Pro over the last 7 hrs in varying conditions, including the area where I always miss calls. Doesn't matter if it is on 1x, 1x Roam, Ev active or EV inactive, all 15 calls came through each time.

No side effects noticed yet either. SMS (send/receive), email (send/receive), data, etc. all work without change.

When calls were accepted, there was no static or problems in communication, which leads me to believe that any "poor reception" complaints on the Sprint Treo Pro is related to an overly aggressive firmware that is not allowing acceptable incoming calls through.

Gonna try this on two other STPs this week and report back what I find. I'm curious about the "GAIN_OFFSET" numbers for those phones...

Outside of being a technical PITA, this is very successful and maybe we should contact Sprint about it!

Sprint should pay you for your time fixing their problem.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Mal, Zbop,
    thank you both
  17.    #97  
    craigslist shopping i go. thanks zbop and mal.

any other testers out there?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Gonna try this on two other STPs this week and report back what I find. I'm curious about the "GAIN_OFFSET" numbers for those phones...
    Had a friend do this last night and here are his numbers in green (cody's are to the left, mine are in bold and 800w is in red):

NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 1980 = 1926= 1849 = 3329
    NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2660 = 2403= 2653 = 3362
    NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2222 = 2208 = 2185 = 3074
    NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_I = 2911 = 2690 = 2878 = 3326

So what is strange is how no two Treo Pros are exactly the same, but the all hover around the same area. I'm curious as to what exactly determines those numbers... Anyways, he changed his to the 800 values and hopefully I'll hear back from him in the next day or two.

19.    #99  
    Had a friend do this last night and here are his numbers in green (cody's are to the left, mine are in bold and 800w is in red):
    you mean Z's
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    So far the "OMG, we have to hack Sprint's firmware to get the phone to ring" trick is working like a charm.

I've placed around 15 calls to the Treo Pro over the last 7 hrs in varying conditions, including the area where I always miss calls. Doesn't matter if it is on 1x, 1x Roam, Ev active or EV inactive, all 15 calls came through each time.

No side effects noticed yet either. SMS (send/receive), email (send/receive), data, etc. all work without change.

When calls were accepted, there was no static or problems in communication, which leads me to believe that any "poor reception" complaints on the Sprint Treo Pro is related to an overly aggressive firmware that is not allowing acceptable incoming calls through.

Outside of being a technical PITA, this is very successful and maybe we should contact Sprint about it!
    No way!!! This actually worked?!

Seriously, I thought there was only a slim chance it might work, but wow, thanks for verifying this Mal...

The difference in GAIN_OFFSET per phone could be part of the initial setup, not really sure. None of the values you mentioned were that different (percentage wise).

I'm sure there is a reason for the original programming, we just don't know enough about this to say. Like I said, I'm not an RF engineer but there could be many reasons the values are that low such as...

- increasing RX power decreases TX power
    - increased SAR levels, wouldn't pass FCC testing
    - decreased battery life

I'm just making these up, but unless someone can provide detailed info, we really don't know. I'd like to see more verification that this works on another phone, but if you're positive that this works without side-effecs, we can post proper instructions with a big "use at your own risk" disclaimer, lol.

I'm currently out of town with very little access to internet so I probably won't be able to check on this till the weekend, just FYI. And no hack in the world will fix my signal reception issue (unless it involves a satellite ).

Which reminds me, I can confirm that standalone GPS works great on the Treo Pro!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast