Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Was wondering if anyone here (and I know I am on a loyal Treo supporting site) has decided to go back to the HTC Pro after using the Treo Pro. I have had mine for a couple of weeks, but there are (few) things that I miss about my HTC Pro that make me reconsider the money spent on the Treo Pro.

I'm just sounding the board out to see if anyone else is having this kind of thought...
    Not I.

My Winmo experience went like this:

6700-->Touch-->Touch Pro-->Treo Pro

The Treo Pro is EXACTLY what I needed.

1. Superb Battery Life.

2. Front facing keyboard.

3. Winmo platform.

If these are things that matter to you then this is really the only recent choice.
    Have you considered memory availability? That seems to be the one draw back on the Sprint Treo Pro and is the big reason I am sticking with the Touch Pro.
    I had PPC6700 - Treo 800W - Touch Pro - Treo Pro.

So far Treo Pro is light years better than any of the other phones.

Battery
    Feel in my hand
    Surely mike the front keyboard

My touch pro always needed to be reset and even though the slider keyboard is cool it is not anywhere as easy to use as the front keyboard. To me the HTC touch also feels heavier and bigger than the Troe Pro.
    I bought a Touch Pro from AT&T, used it for two weeks, and returned it and bought the Treo Pro. The Touch Pro is a nice phone, but it's a bit unusable unless you are willing to put in a lot of time flashing and tweaking it. It also had a lousy speakerphone, the overall volume was too low, SlingPlayer mobile did not run well, and the GPS sucked. The Treo Pro is much better in all of those areas.

I really wanted to like the Touch Pro but it wasn't worth being locked into a 2-year contract for it. I have higher hopes for the Touch Pro2 and will definitely get one it's released with US 3G bands.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    Quote Originally Posted by thepla View Post
    I had PPC6700 - Treo 800W - Touch Pro - Treo Pro.
    My touch pro always needed to be reset...
    Sounds like you're with Sprint. Do you know if it had stock Sprint ROM version 1.03.651.3 on your Touch Pro? I've heard lots of people who had that older Sprint ROM mention having issues. The latest stock Sprint ROM is 1.03.651.4 and it seems most who have it on the Touch Pro are much happier. But only people who got the Touch Pro more recently have that ROM built into the Sprint Touch Pro. (If my Touch Pro had the older ROM and many issues I would not use the Touch Pro either.)

But whatever works for someone is what they should stick with. Once I went from the 800w to Touch Pro, Palm lost me possibly for good. Unless Palm starts making VGA sized screens (or larger) in their devices, that might turn my head...
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I bought a Touch Pro from AT&T, used it for two weeks, and returned it and bought the Treo Pro. The Touch Pro is a nice phone, but it's a bit unusable unless you are willing to put in a lot of time flashing and tweaking it. It also had a lousy speakerphone, the overall volume was too low, SlingPlayer mobile did not run well, and the GPS sucked. The Treo Pro is much better in all of those areas.

I really wanted to like the Touch Pro but it wasn't worth being locked into a 2-year contract for it. I have higher hopes for the Touch Pro2 and will definitely get one it's released with US 3G bands.
    In terms of usability, there wasn't really a difference for me between the Touch Pro and the Treo Pro.

The Touch Pro's slide out keyboard and battery life on the other hand is another matter.
    Really, the slider is on the Touch Pro instead of a bottom keyboard, because the Touch Pro has a VGA screen. The Treo Pro has a square 320 X 320 resolution, so it really does not matter where you put the keyboard. If the Touch Pro had a lower keyboard like the Treo Pro, it would be long as all heck and trying to type while in landscape would be an awful experience.

Good thing is, there are lots of choices to suit anyone's needs.
    It sure is hard to leave the Touch Pro gorgeous VGA screen for a square Treo screen. Plus TouchFlo3D which at first I was not a fan of but man does it have cool features. For those who still have a Touch Pro. Scroll to the camera icon, select a picture, now in a clockwise motion take your finger/nail and circle a small portion of the picture you want to zoom in on. When I show people this one they freak. The 512MB of RAM is also pretty impressive over other devices. I really dig the auto focus 3.2MP camera as well. It takes a little longer for the picture to actually snap but its worth the extra 2-3 seconds. As for the keyboard, I was not a slider fan. However I can type very fast with it. I really like that I do not have to press the function key to type a number. The buttons are big for my fingers. No need to use thumb tips to type like the front facing keyboards. Don't get me wrong I own and love front facing keyboards. I have a Treo 800, Treo 700wx with WM 6.1 and a Centro. The best excuse about the Touch Pro is the lack of one handed use. For those of use who actually own a Touch Pro usually get a chuckle out of this comment. The Touch Pro onscreen keyboard set in "full qwerty" has buttons that are way bigger than any front facing keyboard available today. One handed operation a non issue.

Again, different strokes for different folks. This is just my opinion anyway. They are two different styles. For me I have both and swap back and forth between my Touch Pro, Treo and Centro. I cannot stick with one device for very long consecutively so this is my solution.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I had a Touch Pro and went to the Treo Pro.

Hands down, very happy. As has been stated, battery life, front facing keyboard, and form factor (slim and feels good in hand) are big winners. One handed use is great too.

The Touch Pro is good, assuming you flash it with a good ROM (ex. MightyROM) and can deal with the slider and the thickness.

As for memory, I have had no issues. Even though the Treo Pro has less, it does not affect me. I run Opera, email, Live Search, Youtube, and a bunch of other stuff without issue.

For me Treo Pro > Touch Pro.

I do miss the VGA screen a little, but not as much as I thought I would. 320x320 with RealVGA rocks.
    Vibrant,

You are joking, right?

The Touch Pro is VERY difficult to use one handed. The onscreen keyboards are NOT bigger than the physicial keyboard, and certainly are harder to use.

And that 3.2MP camera sucks, and is not much better than the 2.0MP on the Treo Pro.

I own both devices. Both are good. But for daily productivity and function, the Treo Pro wins.
    Mike,

Are you crazy? Set the onscreen keyboard to "full qwerty". The buttons will not be like the Treo onscreen keyboard where you will have to use a stylus. Plus SPB and many other apps (many free) offer even bigger button keyboards.

The Treo Pro has no flash and no auto focus. Since it has no flash the time limit that you can use the camera is pretty much limited to outdoors with daylight.

I have your 2mp camera in my 800 so I have both as well.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    had the 6700, 6800, and the touch pro. IMHO the touch pro sucked. that's just my opinion. battery was proably my biggest gripe.

I woud go back to the 6700 or 6800 before the touch pro.
    Last edited by codyppc; 04/04/2009 at 10:49 PM.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Vibrant,

You are joking, right?

The Touch Pro is VERY difficult to use one handed. The onscreen keyboards are NOT bigger than the physicial keyboard, and certainly are harder to use.

And that 3.2MP camera sucks, and is not much better than the 2.0MP on the Treo Pro.

I own both devices. Both are good. But for daily productivity and function, the Treo Pro wins.
    He's not joking. Since going from the 800w, which has a better keyboard than the Treo Pro, to my Touch Pro, I've been one handed every day. I pull the slider when viewing things in landscape, like when reading here at TC on the Touch Pro. Other than that my slider usage is rare, my daily typing is in portrait mode one handed using a full soft qwerty keyboard. Just because it was not something you found easy to do, does not mean everyone has that problem, because I certainly do not. The keyboards on the full soft qwerty are bigger than the little Treo buttons and with the soft qwerty, I can get feedback of the letter I press before it's entered. With the Treo keyboard, you press the letter "M" and your finger is totally covering it and other letters, so if you mistakenly hit "N", you don't know till you see the "N" on your screen. My soft qwerty flashes above my finger the letter I typed, so I know for certain what I'm entering before releasing my finger for that letter to be entered on screen. Increases accuracy a great deal.

"3.2MP camera sucks", HAHAHAHAHA!!! You're hilarious. I'm sure you felt the panoramic picture functionality sucked too . LOL! I never know what jokes I'll find around here.

I ran the stock Sprint ROM on my Touch Pro happily for months. But something the older Treos have and the Touch Pro also has, is a means to make something good even better, with custom ROMs. The Treo Pro has none, but the mass of various things available including ROMs for the Touch Pro is nothing but total benefit. Older Treos and the Touch Pro are running WM 6.5 via customized ROM, while the number of WM 6.5 Treo Pro users is still zero. The Touch Pro folks using WM 6.5 find it's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    had the 6700, 6800, and the touch pro. IMHO the touch pro sucked. that's just my opinion. battery was proably my biggest gripe.

I woud go back to the 6700 or 6800 before the touch pro.
    Yeah, I would take 64MB over 512MB of RAM any day. Hysterical!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    He's not joking. Since going from the 800w, which has a better keyboard than the Treo Pro, to my Touch Pro, I've been one handed every day. I pull the slider when viewing things in landscape, like when reading here at TC on the Touch Pro. Other than that my slider usage is rare, my daily typing is in portrait mode one handed using a full soft qwerty keyboard. Just because it was not something you found easy to do, does not mean everyone has that problem, because I certainly do not. The keyboards on the full soft qwerty are bigger than the little Treo buttons and with the soft qwerty, I can get feedback of the letter I press before it's entered. With the Treo keyboard, you press the letter "M" and your finger is totally covering it and other letters, so if you mistakenly hit "N", you don't know till you see the "N" on your screen. My soft qwerty flashes above my finger the letter I typed, so I know for certain what I'm entering before releasing my finger for that letter to be entered on screen. Increases accuracy a great deal.

"3.2MP camera sucks", HAHAHAHAHA!!! You're hilarious. I'm sure you felt the panoramic picture functionality sucked too . LOL! I never know what jokes I'll find around here.

I ran the stock Sprint ROM on my Touch Pro happily for months. But something the older Treos have and the Touch Pro also has, is a means to make something good even better, with custom ROMs. The Treo Pro has none, but the mass of various things available including ROMs for the Touch Pro is nothing but total benefit. Older Treos and the Touch Pro are running WM 6.5 via customized ROM, while the number of WM 6.5 Treo Pro users is still zero. The Touch Pro folks using WM 6.5 find it's good.
    Sorry Darnell, but the camera on the Touch Pro is not good. Sure, it has autofocus, but there better be no movement whatsoever in the camera or subject or the picture is going to be lousy.

And by extolling the customization of the Touch Pro you've hit on exactly the problem: it completely sucks out of the box. You HAVE to flash it with a custom ROM and tweak the hell out of it to make it even the least bit usable. The GSM Treo Pro is a much better device right out of the box. I'd rather spend my time using my phone than spend day after day on XDA searching for a stable ROM and flashing and re-flashing.

No offense to the Touch Pro users, but for the price it should be a MUCH better device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Sorry Darnell, but the camera on the Touch Pro is not good. Sure, it has autofocus, but there better be no movement whatsoever in the camera or subject or the picture is going to be lousy.

And by extolling the customization of the Touch Pro you've hit on exactly the problem: it completely sucks out of the box. You HAVE to flash it with a custom ROM and tweak the hell out of it to make it even the least bit usable. The GSM Treo Pro is a much better device right out of the box. I'd rather spend my time using my phone than spend day after day on XDA searching for a stable ROM and flashing and re-flashing.

No offense to the Touch Pro users, but for the price it should be a MUCH better device.
    Just for the record. My Touch Pro is completely stock. I have done nothing to it other than add Memmaid and SKTools. Its been 4 months now and very stable as day 1. Darnell's Touch Pro was flashed to a custom ROM for fun. That's the beauty of Touch Pro community, there is just so much you can do to it unlike the Treo devices.

As for price the Touch Pro and Treo Pro share the same retail price I believe. I got mine at Worst Buy for $199 and Darnell got Palm to buy him one.

I guess going back and forth about the camera is pretty dumb so I will just end it by saying, if you want me to snap pictures and do a side by side I will just for fun. The low light side by sides against the Touch Pro's flash should be pretty comical but one thing about this type stuff is I am fair. I am not one who will defend a device just because I have one. I bashed the Treo 800 on day one where members took much offense. I see now those members are talking crap about the 800 since they've moved to the Treo Pro. TC does have its shair of hypocrisy. Its a phone just be honest. You can also read my 800 vs. Touch Pro thread (located in the 800 section) which has over 15,000 views and endless pages.

I am a big fan of the Treo Pro and will probably add one to my 4 device rotation. I am waiting to see if a few issues pan out. Missed calls, reception issues and low RAM are my concerns.

My Touch Pro is also running the stock ROM. I have bunches of 3rd party applications, a few registry edits (much less than on the 800W), make so-so use of the soft keyboard and no lags. I also take pictures with it and 2 were not so hot, the others were fine. The additional memory is also important to me. I also use MemMaid and count 2 resets since taking possession several months ago and no problems with Bluetooth connectivity or volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Yeah, I would take 64MB over 512MB of RAM any day. Hysterical!!!!!
    took you long enough to reply. lol. i figured you would take a stab at that one. hehe.

really, i dont know why they would put so much RAM on a device. you"ll really never use it. your battery wouldn't last long enough to open all the apps it would take to use that ammount of ram. even when pluged in to a charger the batteries drains faster that you can charge it. no custom rom ever over came that flaw.

i also have yet to have a RAM issue on the treo pro. two weeks now and nothing. i know you could do it if you wanted, but you can also avoid it pretty easy. if you were new to wm then i could see you doing it by accident, but if you ever had the 700wx, mogul, what ever old school low Ram device, you know how to manage memory.

why do so many current none treo owners still hang out in treo forums?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Just for the record. My Touch Pro is completely stock. I have done nothing to it other than add Memmaid and SKTools. Its been 4 months now and very stable as day 1. Darnell's Touch Pro was flashed to a custom ROM for fun. That's the beauty of Touch Pro community, there is just so much you can do to it unlike the Treo devices.
    Again, what you see as a strength (the vibrant modding community) I see as a weakness. I want to use my phone, not spend hours upon hours flashing ROMs and tweaking it. The devices should be much more usable out of the box, which the Treo Pro is. I owned a Touch Pro (AT&T Fuze) - it was $250 through AT&T Premier. It was less usable (by a mile) than the Moto Q9h it replaced.

The RAM issue is a red herring, at least on the GSM Treo Pro. I've had zero issues with memory or lag due to a lot of applications being open.

I understand people being partial to the devices they own and use, it's human nature to want your own choice to be validated. I don't understand people who don't own a device hanging around a forum devoted to that device and telling the owners how lousy it is.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast