Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So this is an extension of this thread, in which bnsguy found out that we can connect a micro USB to USB host cable to our 800w's and then connect basically any USB device to our phones.

--> With this method you can now use any 3.5mm headphones on your 800w.

I wrote those results up here at WMExperts:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/treo-800w-usb-host-port-works

The BIG question was can a USB to 3.5mm adapter work? The answer is yes.

I used this one: Syba USB to 3.5mm Audio Adapter / USB Sound Card in addition to this cable host adapter (mandatory).

I'm also awaiting on one from Hong Kong ($3.19) from eBay, but I'm fairly certain that will work as well.

Sound Quality: Very good, like really, really good.

I mean this is basically adding a USB sound card to your 800w so it is its own sound processor. Assuming your volume is maxed on the device, I had to keep the in-volume setting on pTunes to "58" as it was just too loud after that. It has a very clear, crisp sound and the stereo is fantastic.

I'll post back when the one from Hong Kong arrives and assuming that works, this means you can use any of your 3.5mm headphones for about $14 total investment. Sure it's no on-board 3.5mm, but this is as equivalent to HTC's ExtUSB except you get better sound processing now.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Finally, wired headphones!!

Nice work, thanks for being the guinea pig on this...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Finally, wired headphones!!

Nice work, thanks for being the guinea pig on this...
    lol, np...least I can do (since I can't program anything )

and look at it this way: this actually improves the sound too--double win.

How much did all of this cost? It seems inexpensive.. (or was shipping somewhat high?)
    EDIT: cards
    SIIG SoundWave 7.1 Pro USB RoHS
    microcenter .com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0256271

SIIG USB SoundWave 7.1 RoHS
    microcenter .com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0247172

they got a bunch more, but I really like that volume control on the Pro

edit 2: cables Nevermind at the moment. The only ones I saw were M to M

sorry about the links, my post count isn't high enough
    Last edited by mike1224; 04/04/2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: more stuff
    This is most excellent news!

So many of us tried various things from the day the 800w was first released. Finally an answer that does not feature taking anything apart to make modifications.

I really am happy for you guys. The 800w has gone up a notch.
    I got to hand to the die hard 800 faithful, you guys a persistent. Maybe a few more people would have stuck around to use this.

Ok, get ready for this. A friend of mine wanted an 800 so I bought w350z for a great price (TreoCentral Marketplace) and gave it to him. A day later he gave it back. He couldn't deal with the battery life even though 350z included an extra battery and wall junction charger. So I bought it back to sell it. I figured I'd use it for a few days to see if his is stable. Whoa, everything works great on this one. It is not a refurb and it had 4000 minutes on it. Three days later and I am still using it. Not that it will ever replace my Touch Pro but I think I will add it to my rotation. This will be my 4th device (Touch Pro, Centro, 700wx w/WM 6.1 & Treo 800). I will move the 800 into the #2 rotation. I obviously have an issue with using a device more than 2-3 in a row. I have to swith it up a bit.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    VRGT, given you now have both (again), I'd like to hear your opinion of how the 800w sounds with the 3.5mm via USB host port versus the Touch Pro using the same 3.5mm headphones with the HTC Connector. That is, if you get the parts to do it.
    Thanks for all the hard work. Ordered mine today.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    VRGT, given you now have both (again), I'd like to hear your opinion of how the 800w sounds with the 3.5mm via USB host port versus the Touch Pro using the same 3.5mm headphones with the HTC Connector. That is, if you get the parts to do it.
    Really don't want to spend any money on this thing. However I may give it a go. Mal, order me up one.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    So now the question becomes... Will this work being plugged in to the Palm charging splitter adapter? Has anyone tried this?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    So now the question becomes... Will this work being plugged in to the Palm charging splitter adapter? Has anyone tried this?
    I don't have one so I can't try but I bet it would.

So far the only things that don't work are devices that require a driver to install, but if it is just plug-n-play I haven't hit any limits yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I don't have one so I can't try but I bet it would.

So far the only things that don't work are devices that require a driver to install, but if it is just plug-n-play I haven't hit any limits yet.
    I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to buy one of those adapters and find out... LOL
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    My Casio E200 on pocket pc 2002 had usb host function, but back then few things worked with it.

If the splitter to charge and plug in head phones works I may be interested for my stereo in the truck.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    If the splitter to charge and plug in head phones works I may be interested for my stereo in the truck.
    +1
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Mal, did you try using a mouse with the Treo? Just curious.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Mouse doesn't work.

As expected, USB thumbdrive works when plugged into the HEADSET port of the Palm splitter. Not when plugged into the CHARGE port of the splitter. USB headset works the same way.
    Mal,

Thanks for the experimentation. Please let us know when you receive the adapter from Hong Kong. I would like to know for sure that it does work before I place my order...This will work with my FM transmitter so I can use it in my vehicle!!
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    Mouse doesn't work.

As expected, USB thumbdrive works when plugged into the HEADSET port of the Palm splitter. Not when plugged into the CHARGE port of the splitter. USB headset works the same way.
    So they DO work with the splitter? AWESOME!
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

This would have been really great news a year or so ago. I long since bought another product for Mp3 and audiobook playback.
    It looks a bit bulky in the end to use for headphones, etc. However, i bought one anyway and am waiting for it to arrive.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast